Honda ST1300 Section > Fuel & Additives ST1300

Injector cleaner

(1/3) > >>

Biggles:
I'm trying Valvoline Injector Cleaner because of symptoms I saw after the bike sat for two weeks.  I've mentioned elsewhere the FI light came on for the first start of the day and it's believed to be caused by gel buildup in the balance hoses between the throttle bodies.
SupaCheap Auto have a twin pack for $11.95 that is enough to treat more than four tanks of fuel, which seems a reasonably affordable treatment.
I haven't seen the symptom for a while, but Ruby deserves a little present now and then.   :thumbsup

jwm:
There has recently been some discussion of this issue on the FJR Forum and apparently you have to be very careful of what you actually use. Some of these products can cause more problems than they solve.

This reply was from a forum member who is a qualified mechanic and owns about 20 bikes:

--- Quote ---I went to a Bosch trade night a few years back,
they put it on because of the large number of warrenty claims due to bad injector cleaners,
fuel pumps & injectors etc run in petrol, most have a varnish covering the electrical windings,
also the fuel pump brushes run in the fuel.
Some cleaners turn the carbon brushes into lathe tools & machine the fuel pump armatures off,
& strip the insulation from the windings.
The only cleaner they would recommend was "Fuel Doctor Injector cleaner"
I have used it with good results but over dosing can damage your injection system.

--- End quote ---

The truth of the matter is that if you are running 95 or 98 octane petrol, they already have additives in them to keep the injectors clean and you shouldn't need an injector cleaner.

Biggles:
Fair warning.  I'll report if I have any adverse effects.  I've used Nulon previously without any discernible ill effects.
It certainly is potent stuff.  A drop on your fingers takes a lot of washing off, and the smell persists for quite a while.
While I don't doubt the Bosch rep, I suspect most FI systems have submerged fuel pumps to supply a strong head of pressure to the injector pump, so I would hope popular brands would be safe.

jimwilly:
I've had the FI light come on my Blackbird this year after I had filled up at Jyndabyne, and again at Port Campbell, my motor was running rough and stalled twice. Turns out it was crap fuel from Liberty.
Put in BP Hi Octane and problem was solved. I think from other forum reports this is a common occurrance in some imported fuels. I now stick to Sheel BP or Caltex if possible.

STeveo:

--- Quote from: jimwilly on August 13, 2013, 11:30:43 AM ---I've had the FI light come on my Blackbird this year after I had filled up at Jyndabyne, and again at Port Campbell, my motor was running rough and stalled twice. Turns out it was crap fuel from Liberty.
Put in BP Hi Octane and problem was solved. I think from other forum reports this is a common occurrance in some imported fuels. I now stick to Sheel BP or Caltex if possible.

--- End quote ---

Had the same thing happen with my BF Falcon. Changed fuel and all sweet.

:bl11

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version