Author Topic: Ride to Work Day  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Paul

• ST 1300
Ride to Work Day
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:20:28 AM »
Paul

Beer is proof that someone loves us!

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Ride to Work Day
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »
Nothing new for me, I ride every day
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 01:40:10 PM »
It's a big(ish) thing in the UK, the majority of bikes over there are only used on a sunny Sunday to go to the local bike meet, where the owners stand around talking about how great their bike is and how fast they can ride it.  There were always noticeably more bikes on the road on ride to work day.

The odd thing is, filtering (or lane splitting) is allowed over there so these people could really save themselves some time if they used their bikes to commute on.  However a lot of owners don't like to use their bike too much as they don't like putting too many miles on them, because it would lose too much value  :fp

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
don't like putting too many miles on them, because it would lose too much value  :fp

As far as I am concerned, a bike that isnt ridden is worthless. Sorta like being in a plane at 500ft and saying look at how much space there is above you.... :|||| :||||
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
Not to forget the cost of fuel over there. That in itself should be enough incentive to take the bike to work.

I use mine most days, even if to just run down the local shop.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »

As far as I am concerned, a bike that isnt ridden is worthless. Sorta like being in a plane at 500ft and saying look at how much space there is above you.... :|||| :||||

Totally agree.

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »
Sorry, I don't really see the purpose in this, I ride to work almost every day and don't need the US Congress to tell me it's a good idea.

Cheers
Whizz
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 05:09:31 PM »
Not to forget the cost of fuel over there. That in itself should be enough incentive to take the bike to work.

It's about £1.40/litre at the moment.  Problem is, earnings aren't what they used to be for many and the cost of living is getting ever higher what with the recession.  I spoke to one of my biking mates over there, he says that they are all finding the cost of fuel a strain on their motorcycling. 

Regarding commuting by bike - the average bike costs more to run than the average car over there.   

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
The Poms have their own site for this, it's usually promoted in the bike rags.

http://ridetoworkday.co.uk/

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 05:18:26 PM »

Regarding commuting by bike - the average bike costs more to run than the average car over there.   

Not just over there, mate.  You saw Shiney's Service Invoice.  I can have the same work done on my car for less than $200.  I appreciate there isn't 20 minutes worth of time taking the plastic off and 30 more working out how to put it back on. 

And I can put four tyres on the car for less than two on the bike.

And there are plenty of small to medium cars now that get nearly the same fuel economy, especially the diesel ones (even though one of us experimented with achieving that fuel's economy- but we've let him forget that a long time ago).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

Not just over there, mate.  You saw Shiney's Service Invoice.  I can have the same work done on my car for less than $200.  I appreciate there isn't 20 minutes worth of time taking the plastic off and 30 more working out how to put it back on. 

And I can put four tyres on the car for less than two on the bike.

And there are plenty of small to medium cars now that get nearly the same fuel economy, especially the diesel ones (even though one of us experimented with achieving that fuel's economy- but we've let him forget that a long time ago).

All true.  The fuel efficient cars are pretty much what everyone drives in the UK, which makes bikes relatively more expensive.  Tyres are the real killer in my experience.  Maybe we should all go to the darkside?  :)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »

All true.  The fuel efficient cars are pretty much what everyone drives in the UK, which makes bikes relatively more expensive.  Tyres are the real killer in my experience.  Maybe we should all go to the darkside?  :)

No, even BMWs use tyres.    :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »

No, even BMWs use tyres.    :grin

Not that dark side.....  ::) but that said, you might be on to something - BMW's might use a lot less rubber than Honda - due to the time spent broken down and miles covered on the back of recovery trucks!

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: Ride to Work Day Monday, June 18
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
The 2012 International Ride to Work Day will be held on Monday, June 18.

Motorcycle and scooter owners who usually use other means of transport to get to work are urged to fire up their steed and showcase the positive value of motorcycles and scooters for transportation. Okay, it’s winter, but if you’ve got some quality threads you’ll still arrive warm and dry – and be undressed before your car-driving colleagues start filtering in.

For hundreds of thousands of workers, motorcycles and scooters are an economical, efficient and socially responsible form of mobility that saves energy,  reduces traffic congestion and provides a broad range of other public benefits.

http://www.ridetowork.org/
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63