Author Topic: Gremlins, final update...  (Read 1784 times)

Offline laurie

• ST Legend
Gremlins, final update...
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
Hi all.
Some of you may recall my continuing problems with electrical gremlins, over a rather long period of time...
I reckon i've now got it all sorted. The indicator/brake light circuit kept blowing a fuse, this turned out to be the wiring from the brake light switch to the cruise circuit.. The wiring runs along the frame cross member, and was being compressed by the seat. This damaged the insulation and caused a short circuit. The wiring has been repaired, better insulation installed, and no further problems.
The other problem caused the bike to stop(or fail to proceed, as Rolls Royce puts it). On the last occasion, I had to abandon the bike overnight on the Pacific highway near Byron Bay, and send out a rescue party the next day.

After a great deal of shaggin about ,testing, poking and prodding, I replaced the fuel pump. This has solved the problem. The bike starts more easily, and settles into a steady idle more rapidly. Most importantly, it no longer "fails to proceed".
I used an after market pump from the U.S. It took a bit of fiddling and soldering of wires to make it fit, but the gremlins have been banished....
Laurie

Offline royst1100

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Gremlins, final update...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »
good news all round  :thumbs
regards
           Royce

Online Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
Re: Gremlins, final update...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
After a great deal of shaggin about ,testing, poking and prodding
Laurie

Now there is a man in love with his Steed  :o :crazy :rofl :grin

Cheers

:slvr13
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)