Author Topic: ST1300 coolant leak  (Read 4125 times)

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
ST1300 coolant leak
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »
All bikes have a little inconvenient drama specific to their model.......the ST1300 has a common habit of wetting the bed  :|||| Some choose to put up with it in its early stages and at times it's very intermittent depending on many variables including the ambient temperature the bike is stored.

So STig developed a little coolant smell while on the last trip which increased suspicions, then a little tell tail trickle was found after shutting down from the "sqaure hole" on the water pump housing.....post 2008 (I think) have a overflow hose from the water pump housing.....pre have a round hole in the casting without a hose. The square hole just in front of the water pump housing hole or hose is renowned for displaying the coolant from up in the valley that tracks down to this square hole.....then if it is considerable enough, tracks down to the fins of the sump and drips into cowling and even to the floor......STig went from nothing to drips on the floor in about 5,000 k's :||||

The issue up in the valley is mostly attributed to the 2 short hoses and OEM hose clamps found between the rear of the thermostat housing that flow coolant to each of the cylinder heads.

Access to this area is easiest from the front of the motor.......so:-

Tupperware of both sides and all the inner cowling and splash guards, Coolant drain, Radiator out to reveal a reasonable look at the front of the thermostat housing......but I could also see some unexplained coolant further back on the right rear hose and some pooling in the valley  :||||

So access in from the top was now also necessary.......Tank up, Air filter removal, trumpets out and lower air filter box. This now reveals the rubber splash guard beneath the Throttle bodies, many will remove the throttle bodies which is either a 2 person operation to lift them up square or some fabricate a jig that sits across the bikes frame to lift the throttle bodies up square.

On closer inspection I noted that if I put a small cut (12mm) in the rubber on the right front corner, the rubber could be folded out of the work area and give just enough access to both the rear of the small hoses, particular the Right........will just punch a round hole in the rubber and use a small zip tie when reinstalling ........when the hoses were removed from the thermostat it was evident which hoses and clamps were leaking.......

Discolouration and wet cotton thread in the middle of the hose a classic example of a hose that's buggared.

The thermostat housing can also be an issue with prominent casting marks on the thermostat housing causing the coolant to get past the clamp and easily fixed with some 200 wet and dry......many will install the tensionless style of hose clamp but they can be quiet large at the adjuster and difficult to find space for....I have sourced a wider S/S clamp than the OEM clamps that also don't have the pressed out slits for the adjuster thread, and cover a larger surface area of the hoses.  :like

Mmmmm.....now which one of these above are the culprit  :think1

All the new wider hose clamps installed so they can be now access from the top...without the removal of the throttle bodies  ++

:beer

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:10:34 AM by ST2UP »
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, tding

Online Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
Re: ST1300 coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »
Mid 2020, I went to go for a ride and noticed a small puddle of coolant under the 1300 at the pointy end of the fairing behind the front wheel. I put it in at my local STealership to investigate as I can't be bothered these days with 'self maintenance', they diagnosed the long coolant hose was perished. I accepted the diagnosis, but here I am 6 months later with the same issue, after 4 1/2 months off the road and $900 later. I've taken it back to them again and will be curious as to their explanation. Both instances, it leaks while sitting in the shed. We've just been away for a month in the caravan, only to come home to a 300-400ml sample under the fairing again as I placed a container there as I suspected it was still leaking. Thoughts anyone? 2004/2005 model with only 72.000 on the clock..
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 10:40:35 AM »
As you can see by my pics above there are loads of clamps and even if it was the hose they replaced if the pump wasn’t cleaned to perfection and tensioned and I would suggest a re-tension after a few rides it could weep in same location.

Cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

The following users thanked this post: Skip

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 05:52:33 PM »
Sorry for the delay Skip, I had the same problem as mentioned above, BUT, on closer inspection it was the water pump (ODO 87k).
Replaced the water pump (bearing started to go) and seal and of course coolant flush and replacement.
Did the work myself and so far no leaks in 3 years.
Hoses inspected and still all good.
Hope this helps in some way.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

The following users thanked this post: Skip, Jdbiker