Honda ST1300 Section > Ask A Tech about your Honda ST1300

Oil Change Blues

(1/3) > >>

StinkyPete:
A month ago my ST1300 was serviced by my local dealer (who usually do it), and I noticed afterwards that the gear changes both up and down had become somewhat clunky.  Oil used was their own "L1002-HP4-13205" bulk oil, which is what they have always used.   Checked the oil level today and found it was  slightly overfilled and level with the top of the window, so I drained a little out, so that it's between the lines in the window.    Gear changes up and down are still a little clunky.    Any ideas of a possible cause?

Biggles:
Over-filling to that extent would not cause clunky gear changes.  What are the viscosity specs of their bulk oil?

Diesel:
Agree with Biggles - if that's the oil they usually use with no usual probs .... then check your riding boots!     :wink1

Seriously - only difference is the time of year (atmospheric conditions such as humidity)  OR  did they REALLY change the oil?

These symptoms are conducive with leaving oil in too long etc. Usually an oil and filter change brings crisper gear changes etc.

Not much help - but a couple of things to consider.    :think1

Cheers, Diesel

StinkyPete:

--- Quote from: Biggles on December 31, 2013, 02:40:29 PM ---What are the viscosity specs of their bulk oil?

--- End quote ---

It's a blended mineral and synthetic oil, with a viscosity of 10W40.

saaz:
It could be that the oil they use has changed a little bit.  Overfilling should not cause an issue like that.  Was the gear change worse after the change, as that is a bit unusual comparing any new oil to old oil.  Is this at the Honda interval of 12,400kms?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version