Honda ST1100 Section > Tyres...to suit your ST1100

The Darkside.

<< < (2/6) > >>

Dan:

--- Quote from: saaz on February 14, 2012, 10:41:38 AM ---I don't even know if you would pass a roadworthy though, and if the bike was not deemed roadworthy then insurance may not cover anything.

--- End quote ---

That's my concern.  I've just had a look here: http://www.motorcycleroadworthys.com.au/roadworthys.html

WHEELS AND TYRES

Objective: To ensure that road wheels and tyres are of a suitable type and condition and that they provide the necessary load carrying capacity, speed rating and control of the vehicle.

TYRES

Possible reasons for inspection rejection:
Tyres are not compatible with the rim to which they are fitted and not of a type suitable for normal road use.
All tyres are not of the same case construction. (See Note 1)
Tyre load ratings are less than the minimum ratings specified originally by the motorcycle, including motor tricycle(s), manufacturer.
The speed rating of all tyres is not of at least 120 km/h or the motorcycle's, including motor tricycle(s), top speed unless a lower rating has been specified by the manufacturer. (See Notes 2 and 3)
Tyres do not have a tread pattern at least 1.5 mm deep, other than at tread wear indicators, in a band that runs continuously across the tyre width that normally comes into contact with the road and around the whole circumference of the tyre.
Tyre tread, shoulder or side wall rubber are damaged.
Tyres have cuts, bulges, tread separation, exposed or damaged cords or other evidence of case failure.
Valve stems are cracked, damaged, perished or loose.
Regrooved or recut tyres fitted to a motorcycle are not clearly marked "suitable for regrooving".
Any tyre clearly marked "suitable for regrooving" is regrooved or recut beyond the maximum permissible groove depth or is regrooved or recut in such a way that the ply or cord is exposed or damaged.

TYRE / WHEEL WIDTH

Possible reasons for inspection rejection:
The wheels and tyres project beyond the extreme width of the mudguards.
The wheels and tyres contact any part of the vehicle under any combination of steering and/or suspension movement.

NOTES:

[1]  Steel radials, textile radials or conventional crossply must not be mixed.

[2]  A tyre fitted to a motorcycle, including motor tricycle(s), must, when first manufactured, have been rated by the tyre manufacturer as suitable for road use at the lower of:

[a ]  a speed of at least 120 km/h; and

[b ]  the vehicle's top speed.

[3]  Tyres branded "Not Suitable for Highway Use" (NHU) are not to be rejected solely for this reason.

The very first line states that one of the objectives is to ensure the tyre is of a suitable type.  I can't imagine too many inspectors would be willing to stick their neck out and sign to say a car tyre is suitable for a motorcycle, despite evidence from the many Darksiders out there. 

Going 'Double Dark' with a BT45 would be interesting, as they are not radial tyres.  The car tyre would be radial.  So, the two should not be mixed according to the rules.  If it also has 'Rear' marked on it, I guess it could also be considered to be an unsuitable type for the front....

Brock:
As usual, the specs are a bit vague.

Why would a 400Kilo 220KPH car tyre not be suitable for a bike??

A bike set up with a sidecar, would lend itself to having car type tyres fitted (and have been in the past). It all gets a bit grey I think.

terrydj:
I've commented on this before bu now can't see a problem. If they want to fit a car tyre to their bike, lose their third party, lose their comprehensive, lose their road worthy all for saving a few dollars, who am I to care. Just one question or maybe two.
1. Just how many rear tyres do these people go through with the same bike?????? I reckon for the majority maybe its 2. Too prove my point just have a look at the milage on most bikes for sale
2. If its so easy to fit a car tyre and its saves you dollars and is oh so safe???? why do tyre companies and Motorcycle manafacturers spend zillions of dollars on Motorcycle Tyre development when  its all been done for them by makers of car tyres
3. What would you do or  say????  if you saw a car fitted with bike tyres or not an appropriate tyre if you were involved in an accident with them and noticed it :think1

Brock:
First off, I am niether for or against the fitting of car tyres to a bike.

As to the question of  how mant tyres do you go through on the same bike?? I have gone through three sets in two years, just fitted new ones on the weekend. I will no doubt go through several more sets, as I dont see myself replacing the bike in a hurry. I travel 20(ish)Ks every year.

If a car tyre is able to be fitted and used safely, then at half the price of a bike tyre and 4 times the life it certainly is cost effective. Definitely not good for track use tho I think.

As to the legality of fitting Car tyres to a bike, I dont know, it would probably take a Lawyer to work that out.

Bike tyres on a car??? definitely not suitable, as the load rating would be too low for a start, and the finding of a rim to suit the width would be difficult.

Dan:
I was getting through at least 5 rear tyres per year in the UK over the last couple of years.  I'll be doing about the same over here I reckon, once I get going.  So going Dark is interesting to me, but probably not at the cost of losing insurance cover or spoiling the handling in the fun stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version