Author Topic: Suitable Lift for limited space, for lifting the ST1100 safely.  (Read 1833 times)

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
Hi Guys,

I am wanting to some more of my own maintenance on my ST1100 and would much prefer if I was able to get the bike up to a better level rather than crawling all over the floor.  Most specifically I am looking to change my brake pads out front and back, and see the rear might be more of a challenge.

I would love to get access to a full lift but I do not know of anyone near me that would be willing to allow me to borrow it until I get it fixed up.  Looking back through older posts, I can only find posts about lifts that are unsuitable.  Does anyone know of a suitable lift that I can purchase, that is both capable of lifting the massive beast safely and might be small enough that can be folded up and stored easily.

If anyone near Woodend has access to a lift that is willing to allow me put my bike up on it for a day to get it sorted, it would be much appreciate.  I have little experience of bike lifts only car ones... I am unfortunately out of work at the moment, but this makes it much more fortunate that I can do work on the bike any time, so please let me have your suggestions.

I would like to get one of my own so I can do more work on the bike at a decent level, but I do not have the room for a full lift that I can also get the car in the garage at the same time.

Yours

J

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Suitable Lift for limited space, for lifting the ST1100 safely.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 05:23:36 PM »
The pad changes are very easy, taking about ten minutes each if you do it slowly, its not worth the time and effort to lift the bike for the job.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 05:57:49 PM »
Thanks...

It is the first time I've ever changed my pads, and the rear looks to be much more difficult.

What is your advice on pushing the pistons back when you dont have the right tools?

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 06:42:30 PM »
I cut a piece of wood with a narrow taper to push between the pad and the disk before removing the pad.  That makes getting the pads out easy and also pushes the pistons back.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 07:08:58 PM »
I use a large screwdriver , tip on the old pad and press back on the piston. its not too difficult. The trickiest part is to get the new pad located.

Insert outer pad (new one) first, get it located and use the pin to hold it while inserting rear pad.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 07:23:09 PM »
Thanks...

It is the first time I've ever changed my pads, and the rear looks to be much more difficult.

What is your advice on pushing the pistons back when you dont have the right tools?

For a simple pad change the rear can be easier than the front but more involved if you wish to grease the caliper slide pins.

This is just for a pad change but one needs to also grease up the slide pins from time to time as the grease can dry out and maybe cause the calliper to stick.

To grease the pins you need to remove the calliper mount and separate them. Much easier on the front because the rear axle needs to be removed to get the caliper and mount off the disc to part them. 

Basic rear pad change http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=11602.msg1212587#msg1212587

Basic front pad change http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=11604.msg1212622#msg1212622
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline creeture3

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 04:47:31 PM »
I bought one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3jcJQVWdl8

But I can't remember how much it was, or where I got it from. Takes up minimal room, even when in use, and is easy to move around. Only problem is that I can't extend the centre stand, and if i have to, I need to tie it down. Other than that, works fine...........

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 05:30:56 PM »
Oh, me like... and that is from only look at the start of the video, not watch all of it yet.

If you can recall where you purchased it from and how much you paid, it would be greatly appreciated.

Yours

J

Offline creeture3

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »
Try here, although I don't know if this is where I bought it from, but it looks familiar...............

http://kendonliftsandtrailers.ameroz.com.au/

Cheers

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 11:33:41 AM »
Thanks,

I did find that one after a bit of searching, unfortunately the one I need is sold out.

Offline creeture3

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 02:18:59 PM »
Aaah, such is life.................... 8)