Author Topic: Fuel delivery or electrical (coil pack) issue??  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Coop

• ST Legend
Fuel delivery or electrical (coil pack) issue??
« on: October 27, 2018, 08:43:55 AM »
Hi guys,

Hope i have posted this in the right section.

I've recently bought an '05 ST1300 with 38,000kms that was perfect except for the fact that the fuel gauge would only read with two lights regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank according to the previous owner. He advised the sender unit in the upper tank had been replaced but the problem remained. Didn't think it would a big issue to fix so was happy with the bike for the price.

When I picked it up I topped up the fuel tank and rode approximately 30kms home. All went well.

A couple of days later, I rode 70kms one way to work without a drama but on the way home (about 40kms into the 70km return trip) I noticed that it started to intermittently miss at 110kmh and this gradually got worse over the next 10kms when I was fortunately off the highway and on a back road. It got to the point that I couldn't accelerate at all and pulling back further on the throttle made the motor almost die completely, so I had to change up through the gears at less than 1800rpm to get any sort of speed up to limp home. Thought it may have been an old fuel issue or even a bit of water in the fuel as I noted when I first fueled it up that there was a bit of condensation in the top of the tank.

A week or so later I finally had the chance to fill her back up (16 odd litres, so far from empty) with 98 and take it for a quick 20km squirt to see if the issue was still there, and the bike was perfect again.

So, yesterday I decided to ride work again completing the 70km trip to work without the bike missing a beat, however, on the way home (approx. 50kms into the 70km return trip) the bike started with the same intermittent miss whilst on the highway and I had to short change below 1800rpm just to get home again. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

As the bike appeared to start with the same issue at approximately the same distance into a full tank of fuel, I am assuming this points to a fuel feed issue but I'm wondering whether it may be a coil pack starting to die. I am really not sure.

I've had a bit of a search around the forum and there appears to be some members with similar issues but not quite the same as what is happening with mine. I know they have an upper and lower fuel tank with the fuel pump being in the lower tank between the frame, and I took the upper tank off last night draining about 8 litres of fuel out (fuel gauge still read 2 bars only) before I could disconnect the large hose between the two and remove it completely.

So I guess my questions are:
1. Is the fuel gauge issue to do with sender unit/s or the dash itself? (I earthed out the gauge last night after taking the tank off and had all bars showing a full tank)
2. What could be the issue with the fuel system and/or coils causing the miss firing and eventual non-acceleration (and possible testing/ fixes for same)?

Sorry for the long post guys and thanks in advance for any knowledge you can impart my way to help fix the blimmin' thing.  8)

Cheers,
Coop.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: Fuel delivery or electrical (coil pack) issue??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
Coop
Here are two things that might be worth trying...
1.   ECU Reset.  It can't do any harm, and might fix your problems.    http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=11334.0
2.   Make sure the fuel tank breather is clear.   Under the fuel cap you will find the breather hose that runs down to the underside of the bike.  Squirt some CRC down the breather, and then gently blow some compressed air down the tube and watch for it running out under the bike.  If it's blocked, it can cause fuel starvation as the vacuum in the tank increases. (This hint is from my Honda delaer who has seen the problem from time to time)
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: Coop

Offline Coop

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »
Thanks StinkyPete.

I was just reading about the ECU reset and was wondering if this may be the cause, but it runs perfectly until it hits about 140-150kms into a tank of fuel, so maybe it is a vacuum issue.  :X

Any ideas on the fuel gauge issue?

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 09:39:08 AM »
I think you've already answered that question yourself. If the gauge works when you bypass the sender, then it points to a sender issue. Seems unlikely to be a wiring fault, given that it shows 2 bars and not just 1.

Offline Coop

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
Yeah, agree Cravenhaven.
Looks as though the sender unit in the top tank has been replaced already (or so the previous owner said but it looks to be new).
Is there also a sender unit in the bottom tank with the fuel pump or is it just the pump alone?

Offline Coop

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 10:49:43 AM »
Coop
Here are two things that might be worth trying...
1.   ECU Reset.  It can't do any harm, and might fix your problems.    http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=11334.0
2.   Make sure the fuel tank breather is clear.   Under the fuel cap you will find the breather hose that runs down to the underside of the bike.  Squirt some CRC down the breather, and then gently blow some compressed air down the tube and watch for it running out under the bike.  If it's blocked, it can cause fuel starvation as the vacuum in the tank increases. (This hint is from my Honda delaer who has seen the problem from time to time)

Breather hose from top to bottom is clear and flows well.
Any other ideas with regard to maybe a fuel pump on its way out or a coil breaking down??
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:54:09 AM by Coop »

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 12:34:09 PM »
Yeah, agree Cravenhaven.
Looks as though the sender unit in the top tank has been replaced already (or so the previous owner said but it looks to be new).
Is there also a sender unit in the bottom tank with the fuel pump or is it just the pump alone?
On the 1100 the low fuel sensor is located close to the pump and I would think the same applies on the 1300.

On the 1100 it just shows a warning light but on the 1300 it activates the distance to empty function on the display.

but I can't see anything on the parts list https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2005/st1300a-a-st1300a/fuel-pump
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:40:05 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 12:59:47 PM »
There is also a 5 way connector (under the tank some where) that can cause weird problems if blocked.

Some one had a similar problem not so long ago, I will see if I can find the thread.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 01:12:35 PM »
There is also a 5 way connector (under the tank some where) that can cause weird problems if blocked.

Some one had a similar problem not so long ago, I will see if I can find the thread.

Just to clarify . . I think that is a vacuum hose connector . . Not a fuel hose connector . . Brock is correct, it can cause problems if blocked . .
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline Coop

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 03:36:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas.

After manually draining the lower tank this afternoon I have found an astronomical amount of oxidized fuel scale in the lower tank, to the point where I took the fuel filter off of the fuel pump and the amount of 'Murray River' type brown fuel that come out, let alone the sludge that also came out, was incredible. I've never seen a fuel system so dirty.

So, to the seasoned ST campaigners that you all are, where can I buy both fuel and air filters that don't cost the earth. The air cleaners seem to be available but the fuel filters are hard to find. Any suggestions on where to buy these from guys??

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 03:47:33 PM »
A lot of us have had good success with these guys:
https://www.partzilla.com/
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Coop

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 03:51:50 PM »
Thanks Biggles, I'll have a look.  :thumbs

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 03:58:37 PM »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 04:21:59 PM »
Fuel filter cheaper here https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/16900-MBG-013?ref=f4c3ad93c49d80a3695175ac06d48303c63a43e5

Air filter https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/17210-MCS-G00?ref=e56338c660115d43af9df4d6f75c256c1e975a49

Total: $US108.09 delivered.

From my previous orders from them allow about 10 -15 days to get here.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 04:41:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas.

After manually draining the lower tank this afternoon I have found an astronomical amount of oxidized fuel scale in the lower tank, to the point where I took the fuel filter off of the fuel pump and the amount of 'Murray River' type brown fuel that come out, let alone the sludge that also came out, was incredible. I've never seen a fuel system so dirty.

So, to the seasoned ST campaigners that you all are, where can I buy both fuel and air filters that don't cost the earth. The air cleaners seem to be available but the fuel filters are hard to find. Any suggestions on where to buy these from guys??
Sounds like it has done a lot of sitting still with stale fuel in it. Not surprising for a bike with only 38,000 on it in a 2005 model.

As you've gone so far, I'd suggest making sure the 5-way vacuum connector ti the MAP sensor is clear as well.

Here's how I did it on mine.

*hint: make sure you have JIS screwdriver to remove the trumpets in the air box.

http://www.ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=5870.msg76631.msg#76631

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 08:25:55 PM »

*hint: make sure you have JIS screwdriver to remove the trumpets in the air box.

But if you can't source one, I found Shiney's tip about grinding 1mm off a #2 Phillips driver works.  You can buy those #2 tips separately without ruining a good screwdriver.

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Surveyors are on the level
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 02:19:37 PM »
Good afternoon Gents and Ladies,
I am bumping this topic to see if there are any outcomes to the problem.  :CB--I have the same issue with a breakdown at a distance of 160 kms or thereabouts. I can travel 100 kms, stop for lunch then only get another sixty before missing and stopping. Limp mode appears to cut in. Five way is clear, no vacuum buildup in tank as breather is clear, new fuel filter in bottom tank and ready to put a new pump in. I thought it had something to do with the sender unit or electrics in that area. Vacuum is the main culprit in the US with blocked vapour canister etc but this does not apply with mine. Any similar experiences are welcome before I set up a testing regime to try and find when and why it is happening.  :thumbsup
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500
White has the power
A lost surveyor is called an explorer

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 02:53:37 PM »
Hi Wombat,
About the supposed fuel (starvation) problem
Just as an aside and in order to double check that there is no possibility for a vacuum problem with the fuel tank breather. In future ,If this problem persists , I can only suggest that next time it happens whilst you are out and about , please try to open the fuel tank filler if you have any difficulty in doing so , it could mean there may be a small amount of vacuum present in the tank and it would possibly point to a problem with the breather hose system , possibly getting pinched or occluded in some way, whilst under way, my reason for saying this is the reasonably long distance (160) or so Kays before the problem shows itself.
Hope this helps.
Cheers ,
Winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Surveyors are on the level
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 03:06:30 PM »
Good afternoon Winston
Yes we have cracked the tank then rode a number of kms with no change. This is why I am looking at the electrics and a failure in the sender units or even the dash fuel gauge. The bike has been sitting for a year or so after our last attempt to solve the issue so I will start the next testing soon. I may disconnect the dash unit as I did that on the tank units the last time.
Cheers  :grin
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500
White has the power
A lost surveyor is called an explorer