Author Topic: The mighty ST1300  (Read 5610 times)

Offline Assassin

• ST1300
    • Freestyle Photography
The mighty ST1300
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
I've had my ST1300 for probably 8 or so years now, and during that time have only had one minor issue with it which was a slight coolant leak through the mechanical seal, probably was initiated by standing for long periods of time when living in Victoria.... It is the only issue I've ever had with it.. The fuel economy is excellent, it handles well, it's smooth with plenty of power.... But when I read how many other ST owners having had so many issues with their bikes, it makes you wonder why anyone would ever bother with them. Reading through the forums would be enough to scare anyone from ever buying one, and possibly even dropping the value of the bikes as well... I never plan to sell mine, because I do really enjoy riding it, and so does my wife, and since I'd be lucky to get 5K for her now, it would be pointless, even though she still looks new after 12 years... But the list of faults with the bikes is longer every day...
So what causes these issues ? Is it poor design ? Or poor servicing agents ? Or the home handyman self inflicted ? Who knows...

Just my observation....

Assassin !!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:21:50 AM by Assassin »
Honda ST1300 | Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: The mighty ST1300
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:05:03 AM »
I've had mine for 3 1/2 years and put 93,000 kays on it.  The only glitch I've seen was a transient FI light that has gone away.  You're right about everything else being great about the bike.  Maybe it looks like there's a lot of problems because everyone raises every little issue.  But it's very rare indeed for one to be off the road due to an issue.     :thumbs
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Assassin

• ST1300
    • Freestyle Photography
The mighty ST1300
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »
I've had mine for 3 1/2 years and put 93,000 kays on it.  The only glitch I've seen was a transient FI light that has gone away.  You're right about everything else being great about the bike.  Maybe it looks like there's a lot of problems because everyone raises every little issue.  But it's very rare indeed for one to be off the road due to an issue.     :thumbs

That's a good amount of kays Biggles, mine only has 42k so far, purchased at 16k 8 years ago... But most of the mileage I've put on has been in the last couple of years living in Queensland.... and I also have another bike with which I share my riding time with...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
I've just ticked over 100,000 km and my experience has been that the bike is rock solid reliable.   As Biggles has pointed out, the Forum has acted like a filter and every little niggle that anyone has encountered, has been raised and discussed at length.    I'm sure that most forum users will agree that the ST1300 is a well built and reliable motorcycle.    :thumb
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »
I don't think it relates to an issue with the model....more so the fact that many people are unlikely to post how the above members have with nothing but praise for the ST.

If you look through forums the majority of issues with the ST (and all other bikes, cars etc) come from a newish member who owns a bike and then have an issue so then and only then post and request help with the issue they are having......so although the person may have praise for other aspects of their bike it is never shared in a positive light.

In essence you only ever hear about the bad and never about the good.....and that's why the negative appears stacked  ;-*

Luck we all know the facts about the trusty ST  :hatwave

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

The following users thanked this post: Wheelbarrow

Offline Shaun

• Professor
  • Ride and Teach
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
Yep, good old negative confirmation bias kicking in.

The other 97%* of people do not routinely post remarking how well their bike is going and how today there were no problems.

*Approximate value. 43% of statistics are made up.
:bl11 Blue 2001 ST1100 ABS Pan European (RIPieces) :(
New STeed: 2006 6th Gen VFR800Fi Sports Tourer

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
*Approximate value. 43% of statistics are made up.

:crackup :crackup
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 05:44:51 PM »
I think it comes down to maintenance or lack of it.  The ST1300 was a reasonably complex design when it came out and complex machines always require more maintenance. Having said that the problem with my bike could have happened to any bike with a hydraulic clutch or brake.

The major issue i have encountered is purely down to poor maintenance or worse deceptive conduct on the part of a motorcycle dealer in Canberra.  That is not the fault of the bike or even poor design which is what made it so frustrating for me and also now Ross N as he goes on his journey.

When I look at the latest offerings in the sport tourer market I actually prefer the level of technology on the ST. I think it strikes a nice balance between a safe ride and still keeping some interest for the rider. God help the owner of a new beemer or Truimph when their bikes get a few kays on them. The electric everything will be diabolical to fix with a bit of age on it.

Forums always bring out the people with a problem that is why we go on the forum to seek help but in the case of Ross N's  problem I think that is a geniune issue for the ST. I am reasonably sure my bike has the same issue but not as severe and I'd bet there would be a reasonable number of older  bikes out there with the same issue to varying degrees. It just there owners haven't noticed it yet.

I have said this before but I think Honda should be more proactive in helping to solve  some of these issues which come out over time.  I know their aim is to sell new bikes but talk like this on forums damages their brand which ultimately affect new sales.

Offline Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »
To me, once electronics are introduced, you have now moved into the computer controlled "Gismo" . My ex police 1100 has no computer to control anything, front brake is front brake and rear is rear. It functions perfectly because of the KISS system and any thing can be solved without having to get a computer Code. Just Sayin`............More Reason to stay with this bike......its brilliant.......................... :wht11
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline jackndon

• titofolist
  • ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
 :hatwave Hi, I have Had my 2005 / 1300 now for just over a year, changed plugs and leads plus air filter, I give it a wash and polish, I turn the key it starts, I go for a ride big smile, no problems, and always expect it to start, unlike the Can Am Spyder, always expecting the opposite, hope I have not jinxed that now, because I am hoping for a ride tomorrow being Sunday. all the best Don :blu13
always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum, de dum, de dum, and ride ride ride.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 10:00:44 PM »
I gather the work that was done on the Spyder didn't cure the poor starting.  You'll be glad to be rid of it.  With any decent battery the ST13 fires up on the first couple of compressions every time.
If that's common among the Spyders it won't do their sales any good at all.  I know they have a new engine out which may be better.

I checked back and I can't see anywhere what a "titofolist" is.  At the risk of regretting asking, what is it?
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 10:30:37 PM »
Do you know why i bought an ST?

because of this forum!

the wealth of knowledge that was being shared meant that when people had problems there was someone ... or a bunch of someones who had had the same problem and knew how to fix it.

this forum was the main catalyst for making the final choice of an ST.

F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline jackndon

• titofolist
  • ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 08:10:49 AM »
Well Biggles you did ask, a titofolist is someone that will turn out day or night and in all weathers, even battling snarling dog's, to carry out a manual mammogram, and at very little charge, I have done them in the past for just a good whiskey, although it is restricted to the female sex, and be able to be carried out with one hand, I hesitate to say they must not be too large because I have not encountered such a thing in 50 years of being a qualified Titofolist. 
As for the the Spyder I did get it going great, there is no way I would sell it on to another biker without sorting it. Can Am changed the throttle bodies after a bit of pushing and shoving, but I had to cover the labour, I just thought that reliability was always going to be the problem, and then they charge worse than BMW and that's saying something. plus I picked up a late model Mazda mx5 that was far too good to turn down, so I have the best of both worlds, and I am still able to carry on with the above practice, although it is more of a hobby now, ride safe Don
always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum, de dum, de dum, and ride ride ride.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »
I bought my 2006 Blue ST with just over 42,000 on the clock in November 2011 and didn't really start riding it until May 2012 due to a spill and a few family issues.  Just this week Pan clocked over 101, 000 km.  The only issues I've had have been th FI light which this forum showed me how to fix!  :runyay and a leaky fork seal on the front left, which was recently fixed, which any bike could have.  I ride it every day to and from work and on weekends for fun/therapy. 

It's reliability is phenomenal and I love it.   I also love the forum for it's wealth of knowledge and outstanding friendship.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline kiwimartin

• ST Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »
Everything is relative, my 2004 ST1300 is ultra reliable with the only issue since I've had being the F1 light,  otherwise rock solid. I put fuel into it and ride it and that's it.
On the other hand I own 3 BMW's and they are a different story, which makes me appreciate my Honda. Nuff said.
IBA # 57,942
FarRider # 753
Butt Lite 7 Finisher
FarRally Finisher
Saddle Sore 1600's
The Big Lap (Round OZ)
The Small Lap (Round NZ)

Offline Assassin

• ST1300
    • Freestyle Photography
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »
I've just ticked over 100,000 km and my experience has been that the bike is rock solid reliable.   As Biggles has pointed out, the Forum has acted like a filter and every little niggle that anyone has encountered, has been raised and discussed at length.    I'm sure that most forum users will agree that the ST1300 is a well built and reliable motorcycle.    :thumb

Good point StinkyPete...

Offline Assassin

• ST1300
    • Freestyle Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »
Everything is relative, my 2004 ST1300 is ultra reliable with the only issue since I've had being the F1 light,  otherwise rock solid. I put fuel into it and ride it and that's it.
On the other hand I own 3 BMW's and they are a different story, which makes me appreciate my Honda. Nuff said.

That’s great to hear Martin...

I have never had any single issue with my ST13, not one, but to be fair, just clocked over 36K (2002 model) and I share riding with my Hayabusa which at the moment probably gets slightly more attention...