Author Topic: ST1300 Coolant weep  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Snigdog

• ST Lurker
ST1300 Coolant weep
« on: February 21, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »
Hi
Just recently have noticed small quantity of coolant on ground underneath engine after start up but disappearing after bike warms up. After starting with plastic ware off have found coolant weep from small hole on side of water pump housing. Is this a telltale that water pump seal is bypassing and needs to be replaced? Bike (2006) is a high miler (~125000 kms) but otherwise in good condition
Thanks
Rick
Red '06 ST1300

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: ST1300 Coolant weep
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 09:36:26 PM »
That does sound like the water pump seal is gone.  I think David Silver spares (UK) has pump kits, not sure tho.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline DJW

Re: ST1300 Coolant weep
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
The mechanical water pump seal.  I have had it let go about two years ago, about 110klm.  Had all sorts of advice such as it will be right when it warms up, will stop leaking etc.  End of the day, its not meant to leak from the inspection hole so I got it repaired.  A bit outside my skill level.  I stripped the bike of all Tupperware, gave the engine a real good clean up and that made it a lot easier for my mechanic to repair and a bit cheaper for me as well.  The front has to come off so that gave my mechanic a chance to have a good look inside around the transmission etc for any other problems (which there were not), in fact he commented how clean the gears and cogs etc were for its age.