Author Topic: Jammed throttle  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Alan

• ST Legend
Jammed throttle
« on: July 17, 2016, 11:17:46 AM »
i have a 1995 ST1100 purchased new, travelled 50000 k, but unused for the last 12 months. recently i tried to start the bike, ( flat Battery ) but found that the fuel pump will not work and that the throttle is jammed.  It is impossible to twist the throttle, I have traced the throttle cable to a cam at the rear of the head, the throttle cable is ok, but no movement on the cam or shaft. It has been suggested that the throttle butterflys are jammed shut, maybe  from residue in the fuel, has anyone had a similar problem? and how do I get the throttle to free up. I will need a new fuel pump, once this is fitted I can start the motor and let it idle, I hope, will the heat from the engine free up the butterflys or whatever is causing the throttle to jam? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Jammed throttle
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 04:39:36 PM »
I'd start with the easiest option- WD40 squirted into the carb and especially around the butterfly.
Ditto the cam and shaft.  I'm guessing you tried the fuel pump with a good battery.
It sounds like there was water in the fuel when the engine was last run.  A squirt of WD40 into the fuel pump might free it up too.

I hope you stay around and join up with us after we trouble-shoot your bike.   :wink1
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 05:20:29 PM »
The WD40 is a good idea, it may be only one carb that has a frozen butterfly. Make sure you flood the butterfies so that the oil gets right in.

The next course of action would be removal of the carbs. Thats getting into serious work.

The repair manual can be found here
http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=433.0
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Alan

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:49:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I have tried WD40 on every moving part I can see, also squirted into the rubber bell mouths, but no luck so far. i am reluctant to dismantle the carbs, but will try removing the rubber bell mouths to see if i can see any other moving parts. Alan