Author Topic: I've seen the light....  (Read 17824 times)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: I've seen the light....
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Thats no a light, its a photon cannon
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »
I'm planning on a pair of these after I sell my GS-

Hella Micro DE HID.

They are expensive but I think they are worth it. The light output is quite spectacular.

I have read that HIDs need to be matched to their reflectors, because of the size of the light source (H4 elements represent a much smaller point source than the xenon tube in HIDs) which is why the light from a HID bulb scatters so much in standard housings. We have factory HID low beams in our family car and they are absolutely awesome.

I think the standard H4 on the ST is pretty good, I have plus 50s in it and they light up the road quite nicely, but the hellas should make it so much better riding at night.

They do look good but wow they are a few $$$.  Should be a nice sized lamp for a bike though. 

The Hella FF50's do a good job for a fairly cheap light, I'm pleased with them.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
I would like some dedicated HID lights sometime (or LED if they improve), but only when they are a bit more affordable.  My converted Narva Compac 100s chuck out quite enough light for the time being.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Maverick75

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »

They do look good but wow they are a few $$$.  Should be a nice sized lamp for a bike though. 

The Hella FF50's do a good job for a fairly cheap light, I'm pleased with them.

Yeah, they're not cheap. The way I look at it, I keep vehicles for long periods so the cost spread out over, say 5 years, isn't that bad.

I could easily go through more than that on a weekend's worth of beer  :rofl

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 05:52:17 PM »

Yeah, they're not cheap. The way I look at it, I keep vehicles for long periods so the cost spread out over, say 5 years, isn't that bad.

I could easily go through more than that on a weekend's worth of beer  :rofl

Yeah, very true - buy cheap, pay twice as they say - I try to avoid buying cheap rubbish these days but sometimes I just can't help myself....

Maverick75

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
I have a pair of Narva Compac 70s on my GS and, especially for the size they are amazing lamps. I'm a bit of a minimalist and this size housing suits the bike and me quite well.

The Hella FF50 is an awesome light, if the google image search is anything to go by. I'll probably end up going for a set like that if I don't get what I want in the bike changeover or we find a new place too soon.

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »
Well I have decided to conclude my HID experiment and so this evening I uninstalled the HID's and went back to normal H4 bulbs.

While I wasn't impressed with the HID's, I was going to leave them in, but recently I have had problems with the kit.  One of the ballasts started playing up, not always firing up, so I got a new ballast which was fine for a couple of days..... so I went back to the intermittent one.

Then today, both failed to ignite.  I did the simple thing, checked the fuse which was OK, but decided then that enough was enough.  If the HID's had been good, I would have tried to resolve the issue but since I don't think much of them I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I'm glad I have tried HID's.  I would not have been satisfied until I did.  They were definitely mega-bright to look at - a few people commented how bright they were when I followed them.  I just don't think the light unit on my ST works very well with them.  I would try them again on another bike, and I would also try to track down a decent kit rather than a crappy one.

I've ordered some Osram Night Racer bulbs, I've used these before and they were pretty good and lasted well so I will try these again.  It will be interesting to see how they compare to the HID's. 

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »
I put my shims in a couple months ago and I'd say I have an improvement giving me a more defined low beam pattern over not having them in.
As most of us either cut or bend the lower tabs to install the globes a mis alignment occurs due to the lower tabs not locating the globe causing the globe to sit an angle. With the shims in place the alignment is corrected even if the globe sits that little bit further back.

I'm using 60/55W 6000k blue tint Xenon H4 globes which throw out a whiter light than the standard H4 globe. I bought the Xenon globes from China for the low delivered price of about $7.00 for tryout use only and they've been in use since January 2012.

On the way home from Whyalla On Sunday (10th June) I noticed that my RH high beam had failed giving me 6 months use out of one one cheap globe. The driving lights made up the shortfall for the last thirty kms or so. Rather than use the spare xenon globe I decided to go back to my spare set of standard 60/55w globes as in the past I've never used shims on those type in five years so this in a sense will be another trial.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 10:51:57 PM »

On the way home from Whyalla On Sunday (10th June) I noticed that my RH high beam had failed giving me 6 months use out of one one cheap globe. The driving lights made up the shortfall for the last thirty kms or so. Rather than use the spare xenon globe I decided to go back to my spare set of standard 60/55w globes as in the past I've never used shims on those type in five years so this in a sense will be another trial.

Yeah I was thinking about those shims, I might try the Osram bulbs with and without them as well, just to see if there is a difference. 

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 12:35:33 AM »
[b]I just put 2 x Philips 100+ H4 in the Headlight ( the originals were 45/45 :eek would you believe).

I just folded back the 2 lower tabs and they fitted very snuggly. The first one didn't sit right but it turned out that one of the tabs was folded back without following the curve of the mounting plate (if that makes sense, I can't think of a better way to describe it). Anyway, once this was rectified there was no problem at all. Retaining spring held it in place and I was unable to move it about. Very happy with the result.

Haven't had a chance to try then out yet as I don't fancy getting blown off the bike before I get to the bottom of the driveway. Should see a huge improvement over the 45/45's.
                                  Dave                         
                   :wht13
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:38:43 AM by roper5874 "ONENUT" »
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »
[b]I just put 2 x Philips 100+ H4 in the Headlight ( the originals were 45/45 :eek would you believe).

I just folded back the 2 lower tabs and they fitted very snuggly. The first one didn't sit right but it turned out that one of the tabs was folded back without following the curve of the mounting plate (if that makes sense, I can't think of a better way to describe it). Anyway, once this was rectified there was no problem at all. Retaining spring held it in place and I was unable to move it about. Very happy with the result.

Haven't had a chance to try then out yet as I don't fancy getting blown off the bike before I get to the bottom of the driveway. Should see a huge improvement over the 45/45's.
                                  Dave                         
                   :wht13

Yeah that's how I've fitted both the bulbs and HID burners, no problems in getting the bulb to sit nicely.  The reason I want to try the shims is that, from what I have seen on t'internet, the Honda bulbs are slightly shorter than normal H4's.  So the shim would move the filament back in the light housing slightly, closer to where the Honda bulbs would sit.  Whether it improves things or not remains to be seen.

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »
My  First lighting mod was to fit a pair of white fog lamps. Most of my 750km a week is at night on low. The lamps are a huge differance. Tons safer and i feel more comfortable. Then fitted the big $ H4 phillips lights, these lasted 3 months/  9000km. Not good enough. In spite of some bad reports i went for the cheap VVME HIDs. The bulb coil went on one side. So i am wondering what to do. Went to price jaycar bulbs, staff advised against it, suggesting the  phillips h4's are better. Heard the same from a few others in the trade. Has anybody had short life from the phillips bulbs?

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
My  First lighting mod was to fit a pair of white fog lamps. Most of my 750km a week is at night on low. The lamps are a huge differance. Tons safer and i feel more comfortable. Then fitted the big $ H4 phillips lights, these lasted 3 months/  9000km. Not good enough. In spite of some bad reports i went for the cheap VVME HIDs. The bulb coil went on one side. So i am wondering what to do. Went to price jaycar bulbs, staff advised against it, suggesting the  phillips h4's are better. Heard the same from a few others in the trade. Has anybody had short life from the phillips bulbs?

I bloody HATE Philips bulbs!  In my experience, they are crap and don't last 5 minutes.  I tried Philips bulbs in 2 cars and 2 bikes, as they were the only 'decent' bulbs in the local shop, and I was forever buying replacement bulbs.  3 months sounds about right. 

I then switched to Osram which lasted much better in the same vehicles, the only one I had go was in my VFR when the reg/rec failed. 

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 10:00:53 PM »
Well after a nice dark ride last night, I can say that the normal bulbs are about as effective as the HID's that I had.  These are just cheapo Repco bulbs, 2 for $12.  The ST11's headlight isn't that bad really, definitely not the worst bike headlight out there.  I'll try the Osram bulbs when I get my hands on them.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »
I have no idea what bulb is in my bike, its been 2.5Yrs since I bought it, and I'm in no hurry to find out
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »
I have no idea what bulb is in my bike, its been 2.5Yrs since I bought it, and I'm in no hurry to find out

If it ain't broke don't fix it but sooner or later a globe will fail then the mystery will be revealed.

On the way home from Whyalla On Sunday (10th June) I noticed that my RH high beam had failed giving me 6 months use out of one cheap globe. The driving lights made up the shortfall for the last thirty kms or so. Rather than use the spare xenon globe I decided to go back to my spare set of standard 60/55w globes as in the past I've never used shims on those type in five years so this in a sense will be another trial.

I had a chance the other evening to see what the standard globes were like with the shims fitted when I went to the shop. Only difference I could see was a more yellowish light on the road and the low beam light pattern defined much the same as the blue tinted (6000k) xenon globes which put a whiter light on the road.

High beam in a built up side street seemed better but until I'm on the open road at night it's hard to tell. With the shims installed there definetly is more light where it should be and I haven't had any oncoming  traffic flash their headlights (yet) due to glare while on low beam anymore.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
I am surprised by that, as the HID 35W I have in mine are so much better than the Philips Vision plus 60/55w bulbs I had in.  I have modified the headlight housing to accept normal H4 bulbs..

Well after a nice dark ride last night, I can say that the normal bulbs are about as effective as the HID's that I had.  These are just cheapo Repco bulbs, 2 for $12.  The ST11's headlight isn't that bad really, definitely not the worst bike headlight out there.  I'll try the Osram bulbs when I get my hands on them.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »
I am surprised by that, as the HID 35W I have in mine are so much better than the Philips Vision plus 60/55w bulbs I had in.  I have modified the headlight housing to accept normal H4 bulbs..

So am I, I was expecting more from the HID's.  They were much brighter to look at, but for whatever reason the light did not make it down the road very well.  I'll not bother with HID's again on the ST11.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 09:21:49 AM »
So am I, I was expecting more from the HID's.  They were much brighter to look at, but for whatever reason the light did not make it down the road very well.  I'll not bother with HID's again on the ST11.

It's all about the colour of the light.  There are some learned treatises on the US forums which conclude that the 4500 K range is better at reflecting information back to you than the 6000 K range.  That is, slightly yellow light works better at showing you what's ahead than severe white or blue light.  The other aspect is the higher number colours dazzle oncoming drivers who are more likely to flash high beam at you when you are not on high beam.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »

It's all about the colour of the light.  There are some learned treatises on the US forums which conclude that the 4500 K range is better at reflecting information back to you than the 6000 K range.  That is, slightly yellow light works better at showing you what's ahead than severe white or blue light.  The other aspect is the higher number colours dazzle oncoming drivers who are more likely to flash high beam at you when you are not on high beam.

Agreed, which is why I went for 4300k burners.