Author Topic: HIDs - running tempeartute, power draw, possible effect on reflectors  (Read 2873 times)

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
I was browsing a few sites that I have not visit for a while (the benefits of having a break from work) and came across this update.  Questions have been asked about heat from various bulbs in the STs so this might be worth a read.  The video is worth a watch.  The warning on going too high with HIDs in modern reflectors is also salient.  Read the warnings before drooling over 70W and 100W HIDs (the 100W look quite ok for BBQ duty)

http://www.hid-lightsdownunder.com/page003.html
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
yep gotta agree with you, especially the bbq duties  :rofl  i have 35W HID in the headlight and spotlights above the mirrors
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline sac468

• Canberra ACT
Thanks for the link SAAZ that explains a lot, makes everything a lot clearer ( no pun intended) :rd13
Shane
Ride to live, Live to Ride
Ulysses; 51798

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
I honestly believe that the standard reflector can handle only so much light, more is not always better some of it just gets reflected out of focus & you end up with less light than you had before.
A lot of people (me included) think that they can improve on the standard bike with mods etc Honda spends millions on R & D
So that the tinker in the end has made little if any improvement
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline Dan

• QLD
A lot of people (me included) think that they can improve on the standard bike with mods etc Honda spends millions on R & D

I agree in some cases, some 'modifications' end up just messing up the bike.  Some aftermarket stuff is poor quality too.  I guess this is why a lot of buyers prefer standard vehicles.  But then again, the Honda also employ bean counters to save the odd Yen here and there too.

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
That's an interesting read.

I think it was Saaz that had other info about ballasts being AC or DC. AC being the better ballast.

You have to wade through the conflicting if not scarce information to make your own choice.

:blu13

P.S. I'm more that impressed with my HID conversion.

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Desty

• ST Legend
    • My Website...
Re: HIDs - running tempeartute, power draw, possible effect on reflectors
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »
I honestly believe that the standard reflector can handle only so much light, more is not always better some of it just gets reflected out of focus & you end up with less light than you had before.

Honda's R&D is cost/benefit limited...

I've run 50W 4300K HID's in my ST1300 for 3 years now with no discolouring of the lens and no visible damage to the reflectors. In regard to "little if any improvement", ride a friends ST1300 at night with HID's after riding your halogen equipped bike, and tell me there's little improvement...  it's like chalk and cheese...  and your daytime visibility goes up by a huge factor.

terrydj

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »
No idea about heat and hate BBQ's "BUT"
I have been running 90/100 non HID in the headlight of my ST1100 for years without any of anything :thumbsup

Offline OzRider

• Brisbane QLD
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
Been running 55's in my 1300 for the last 3 yrs sometimes they are on high beam from dusk to dawn and no problems with heat, reflector discoloration and no BBQ's any body who says there is no improvement come and ride my bike in Top End dark and then make a judgement call.The standard ST 1300 lighting is rubbish possibly the worst in its class.
I don’t wanna a pickle just wanna ride my moto sickle
FarRider # 349     IBA # 47578