Author Topic: Not The Jamieson RTE...  (Read 1170 times)

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Not The Jamieson RTE...
« on: February 17, 2022, 10:43:34 PM »
Not a ride report as yet, more a ride set for this weekend....  :thumbs

Sue informed me tonight that she's visiting her sister this weekend for one on one girly time...
So, with me having a very rare weekend to myself I've decided to put it to good use and go for a decent ride...
A quick look at the forecast confirmed that it should be perfect weather for a ride...
Hmmm, where to go?
I thought about heading up Omeo way but then I had a brainwave...with all this discussion recently about an RTE at Jamieson I thought why not a ride to Jamieson and have my very own RTE!!!

Not ever having travelled the Eildon-Jamieson Road and hearing how it could be pretty challenging, I figured this might be worth a go, especially with sunny conditions forecast...

With bugger all accommodation available in Jamieson I decided I might have more luck in Mansfield.
A look on booking.com found nothing in my price range ie "cheap" so a look on airbnb was in order...
To cut a long story short, I found what looks like a lovely place to stay the night...and not too expensive!

So...that's Saturday planned, now I just have to decide which way I'll head home on the Sunday...  :think1

Saturday's Proposed Ride

To Be Continued...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 11:05:41 PM by ruSTynutz »

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • ST Legend
Re: Not The Jamieson RTE...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 06:51:23 AM »
Have great ride, stay safe.
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 08:45:53 AM »
Thanks JD...I'll certainly try!  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 10:22:42 AM »
Take a  slight detour and you'll be in Finniss in no time.

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 12:12:26 PM »
I think you must be mistaking me for an Iron Butt or Far Rider Member, Bodø!  :p

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online NTRebel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • red centre red bike
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 03:08:16 PM »
Turn right at the next intersection and you'll be in Alice Springs just a short day ride. :rofl :rofl
I'm not strange i'm just not normal {Salvador Dahli}

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 03:25:18 PM »
 :p :butt  :fp

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 03:50:32 PM »
And it's no longer under water.   :hijacked

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 05:26:16 PM »
Well, what a great RTE!  :clap

Beautiful blue skies greeted me when I crawled out of bed although the air was just a bit fresh.
By the time I was ready to head off it had increased by a few degrees, much to my relief as I was intending on wearing my summer jacket without the liner as they were predicting quite warm weather for both days.
I headed off around 8.15am, just needing to fuel up before I was on my way...
I rode through to Taggerty before my bladder required me to stop.
I then took the opportunity to replace some of fluids I'd just disposed of with the bottle of water I'd actually remembered to pack that morning.

Wanting to get to Jamieson in plenty of time for lunch, I quickly got back on the road...

Turning off the Goulburn Valley Hwy onto the Eildon-Jamieson road, it wasn't long before we were into the twisties...Wow, what a great road!
60 odd k's of mostly very low speed bends with just a break of a few k's in the middle where you could take a few moments to relax...
The road surface was pretty good too and pretty much none of the usual debris that you usually find on these sorts of roads.

Only had the one slight brown trouser moment...the result of running over a stick I didn't see in the shadows.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of places to pull over I didn't get to take many photos.

The one time I did attempt to make a photo stop I ended up having to jump into a drain to avoid a couple of motorcycles that suddenly appeared from the opposite direction...so...not a good idea!

I did stop at the scenic lookout (which is around 8-9ks from Jamieson) to take a few photos of Lake Eildon...

Arriving at the Courthouse Hotel and entering the bar, I was surprised to find I was the only one there...That soon changed though but I was actually surprised there weren't more people.

As everyone that was attending this RTE was present, I ordered lunch...
After lunch I then presented the "awards". I took out longest distance rider and best presented ST...  :p  :grin :whistle

All too soon it was time to head for Mansfield...
Arriving there a bit early as my airbnb host had told me she wouldn't be home until around 3pm, I figured I'd go check out the "action"...

Spotting the local "Vinnies" I thought I'd go see what bargains I could pick up.
Unfortunately they must have spotted me arriving as when I got to the door they had just shut up shop...  :||||

Cursing my luck, I headed back to my bike. While I was busy pulling my gloves back on, one of the op-shop staff approached the car i was parked next to.
To my surprise she spoke to me, asking me if I was the gentleman that was staying the night at her airbnb... :eek

What were the odds of that happening? I had no idea she worked at "Vinnies" and there were numerous other bikes in town....Spooky!!! :crazy

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker

Online NTRebel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • red centre red bike
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 05:58:53 PM »
Go back home via Woods Point some goodriding there if you don't mind dirt and stop in at the post office come shop if it's open tell the long haired riiff raff from Alice Springs says g'day.
I'm not strange i'm just not normal {Salvador Dahli}

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 06:45:03 PM »

Route Home...

Sunday
Not being in a particular hurry to head for home, I had a bit of a sleep in so didn't end up leaving until 10.30am...
Unfortunately I hadn't thought how close Yea is to Mansfield so by the time I arrived there it was way too early to stop for lunch so I just continued on without stopping.
Arriving in Healesville I wasn't particularly hungry so I continued on...

Keeping an eye on the time I started to think I could perhaps have some lunch at the pub in Neerim South.
Upon arriving there the carpark was packed so I yet again continued on.

Then I had a brainwave, I know what I'll do, I'll go via Jindivick and have a nice roast for lunch.
Well, I arrived there and the Jindi Cafe was closed!!!  :cuss

By now I'm thinking I was obviously not meant to have any lunch!

Stuff it, I'll just head straight home and have a late lunch there...

Anyhow, I arrived home some 3 3/4hrs after leaving Mansfield...a bit tired but not overly so considering I had ridden non stop with not so much as a pee or drink break...

All in all it was a great weekend!  :runyay

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 07:30:19 PM »
Go back home via Woods Point some goodriding there if you don't mind dirt and stop in at the post office come shop if it's open tell the long haired riiff raff from Alice Springs says g'day.

Too late he cried!!! lol

I've been to Woods Point a couple of times before in the car and there's a lot of dirt between there and the Thompson Dam where it's sealed road again so I definitely wouldn't have gone home that way, NTRebel!

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Dragonstaff

• Dave
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 08:04:37 PM »
there's a lot of dirt between there and the Thompson Dam where it's sealed road again so I definitely wouldn't have gone home that way, NTRebel!

Coward!  :nahnah

Dirt is doable on an ST, I do it every time I go out. And my bit hasn't been re-sheeted for 20 years.

They don't like really loose dirt much though- tend to get a little twitchy- or that may be the rider worrying about it getting twitchy on loose dirt and making a self-fulfilling prophecy self-fulfill. (Huh?)
THERE ARE OLD RIDERS, AND THERE ARE BOLD RIDERS, BUT THERE ARE DAMN FEW OLD AND BOLD RIDERS.

Keep the dirty side down.

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500
(Not all bikes are running at the current time)

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 08:37:24 PM »
 :p

I lived on a dirt road years ago so riding on gravel didn't bother me that much but that was when I was a much younger bloke.
Being an old fart now plus having concern about copping damage to the mighty ST (and the lack of new replacement parts) keeps me avoiding gravel unless I really have no choice.  :beer

2005 Honda ST1300A