Author Topic: 2022-02-19 Kilometrestones And Milestones  (Read 554 times)

2022-02-19 Kilometrestones And Milestones
« on: February 19, 2022, 05:25:43 PM »
Knowing the kwaka was approaching 160'000km on the clock and knowing that 1 mile is 1·60934km I expected to notch up two 'milestones' a week or two apart with the second one being 100'000 miles.  After finishing work last week I flicked the odometer to miles and back and wrote down what was on the clock thinking the mile count was closer to six figures than it ought to be and did a calculation.  It would appear Kawasaki miles are 1·6km.  On face value 0·00934 isn't much, but it's almost a difference of 1000km and both 'milestones' would clock up together.

Today I set out to know them both off.  First stop was my usual pull in at Inkerman between the point to point speed cameras.  Whilst there I thought sod it, let's put the drone up.

A quick refuel at Port Wakefield and it was off to go through the Augusta Highway/Copper Coast Highway intersection since it's upgrade.  I hammered Yorke Peninsula in early 2015 but returns since then have mostly been limited to a few RTE's we have done there.

On the way to Marion Bay in 2018 I noticed a road to South Hummocks has since been sealed and decided I'd go back one day.  Today I finally did.  The sealed part runs out real quick, but I kept going anyway.  I saw quite a few ruins.

That bus was looking worse than it did when I saw it in 2015.  It's also moved yards as well.

In 2015:

Lake Bumbunga as seen from the lookout on the road to Ninnes.  I think my 2015 photos of it from the same spot were better too.

The reason I was out here came up at Thrington.

Just like London buses, none for ages and then two come at once.  Changing the display from kilometres to miles also changes the temperature from °C to °F.

This mini golf course has various themes on it's holes.  The real Copper Coast Splash Down is in Moonta Bay.

I'm guessing this jetty is to symbol a jetty in the local area but being on land reminds me of the one Wirrulla on Eyre Peninsula.  Wirrulla is a 100km from any body of water but has an official jetty where or jetty laws apply.

Hole 18 didn't have a theme so I brought the kwaka up and for one brief moment in time it had a Kawasaki theme.

Get your kicks on route 66.  This was in Jericho.

All the mine area in Jericho has not been fenced off.  I knew that before I left, but I did have a reason on another platform to get a few photos of Jericho.  I put the drone up as well.

With that done I headed home.  On the way in the morning I noticed the Olsen's Fly of the Lower Light sculptures was missing so popped in for a closer look.  The ground has been dug up with the dirt obscuring the view of the ground so put the drone once more for a closer look.  There I could see the base, but the fly itself is nowhere to be seen.  A few others that were on the same side of the road have been moved to the others I had a look there as well.  It's not there.

I took this photo in december 2019:

Only a short day, but there is an RTE tomorrow.  I'll be heading in the opposite direction.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 07:38:34 PM by Bodų »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Nigel, Jdbiker, Langers, Dragonstaff