Author Topic: Port Germein  (Read 563 times)

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
Port Germein
« on: April 18, 2022, 08:47:24 PM »
I've taken the opportunity to take a few days R&R  and spend some time at Port Germein, a small fishing town between the industrial Cities of Port Pirie and Port Augusta.

There are a few good rides in the area, particularly Germein Gorge, through the Southern Flinders Ranges which I'll aim for later in the week.

My accommodation has kindly provided crab nets etc should I happen to get any of the local blue swimmer crabs. I've also managed to fit a collapsible fishing rod & tackle in to try and get a few whiting or whatever.

Today's ride up was fairly uneventful apart from the always interesting Easter family lunch. Given the time constraints, the ride was confined to expressway & highway.

Roadworks started at Port Wakefield through to Lochiel, with some slower speeds encountered. Managed to get stuck behind a few 90 km/h speed limited road trains right where there were no passing lanes.

A lot of traffic heading back to Adelaide from holiday breaks, however in a first, I didn't see one motorcycle on the road in the entire 240 km journey from when I left the family lunch to the accommodation.

Reports on the rides & fishing to come.
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

The following users thanked this post: StinkyPete, Lionel, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Better Red than Dead
Re: Port Germein
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 11:06:59 PM »
A good ride yesterday, through the Germein Gorge, Mid North towns then lunch and supplies from Port Pirie, with the advantage of catching a few crabs and landing a whiting for entree at the end of the day.

Today's ride started again through the Germein Gorge before heading north through Melrose, Wilmington then Quorn for lunch - the site for last September's RTE - before riding through to Stirling North beside the historic Pichi Richi Railway, used a couple of years ago in the movie The Water Diviner, before riding through the Horrocks Pass and back down through Wilmington, Melrose & Murray Town for the reverse ride of the Germein Gorge.

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker, John g, ruSTynutz, Dragonstaff

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Better Red than Dead
Re: Port Germein
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 05:11:05 PM »
Ride to home today before tomorrow's RTE at Freeling.

A good ride today again through Germein Gorge, no native wildlife on the road today - had a wallaby the other day, but had a fox run in front today.

A quick stop in Wirrabara at the bakery - heard they do good pies - and yes indeed they do - great pastry, chunks of beef & full flavoured.

Refuel stop at Gladstone, the old gaol was open today, unlike on Tuesday when it was closed, but no time today to go through it. Another trip or maybe an overnight RTE staying in the gaol?

Next stop was at the Hewett Country Bakery for lunch where the reports on the Vietnamese Meat Rolls have been really good. I had the Dalmatian.

Then the final leg home, saw a  :13Candy with a black top box just outside of Kersbrook.

The route for today.

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker, Langers, ruSTynutz, Dragonstaff