Author Topic: I don't want to die  (Read 3752 times)

Stickerman

I don't want to die
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:07:02 AM »
http://ozstoc.com/Smileys/default/cus.gif     Hi all, I have been riding bikes in Australia most my life, and riding scooters in Thailand over the passed seven years. As crazy as it is in Thailand, I have never had an accident, even though I've come close many times. I come back to Queensland riding a gtr 1000 and some idiot turned into me on a roundabout, breaking my leg, sholder, and seven ribs. Not to mention a lot of skin left on the road... . (gtr now written off)   That was five weeks ago. I'm 53 and don't want to be a road stat so now I ride x cop st1100, and I love it so much. Apart from the new found respect I get from other vehicles, this is the nicest bike I have ever owned, why wasn't I told about this bike before.
I have made it look as much like a police bike as I can, even adding white reflective checkers (on blue) to it and my lid and now I feel safe on the road. Drivers don't cut me off or pull out in front of me. The right lane hogs pull over when I sit behind them and drivers talking on there mobiles shit them selves when they see me looking at them. I can't see any down side to this trick.  All going well I will have many years of safe riding on my beautiful st. 

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Re: I don't want to die
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:25:03 AM »
Nice one Stickerman - you are in great company around here as there is a growing number of "those white ones" amongst our members - there's even a poll about it here...

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=217.0

I remember when riding with Saaz near Nambucca Heads the 'respect' he got on the road from cagers, and when I got a flat tyre and was parked by the side of the road - Tipsy parked his white 1100P  (Rhonda) in such a position that everyone thought it was a sting, and 'behaved' themselves.      :well

Most recently - riding back from Lightning Ridge to the Nindigully Pub with Saaz  and Lionel - BOTH on ST1100Ps -     :13Candy                                   :wht11 :wht11     I was tail end charlie and had numerous motorists frantically waving at me that there was a double serving of "Plod" just ahead.        :phone               :-(((

Safety is paramount - but it is sickening to think that without looking like a police bike - cagers don't give a sh#t! But when the thought of it possibly costing them $$$ arises - suddenly those lazy slobs become vigilant, well behaved and respectful. Why can't they drive like that ALL the time.         :cuss :cuss :cuss

There must be plenty of stories here folks....        :popcorn

Thanks for your little intro - glad you're finding out what we ALL KNOW!        :beer

Enjoy your time here stickerman, and make sure you join us for a ride or two.

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:51:05 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »
Welcome Stickman.

I know what you mean about traffic in Thailand, having a house there in Damnoen Saduak. I also ride a an 1100P and love it.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »
Welcome, another 1100-P owner here but mine is stickerless!

Stickerman

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »
Thanks all, when I started riding the st without any stickers I got the respect until they realized I wasn't a cop then it was back to normal. I started adding stickers and an uhf arial and a well placed crime stoppers sticker and now they are not sure what I am, no matter what angle the see me from. The checkers on my helmet really set it off, but I also have a fluro wet weather top that really puts the wind up some people. My daughter thinks I am taking it a bit far, but I would rather stay alive and pain free than have some parametric load me into the coroners truck.
I have also mounted cameras that record everything whenever I ride. One records in front and is on a three hour loop, and the other is a helmet cam for short runs. They work well and I am putting a youtube clip of blind drivers around the area.
I have had some looks from the boys in blue but it has to be one of the most legal bikes on the road so there is not much they can do. Also with the video recording my movements as long as I don't do the wrong thing it's there on tape.

I have met a couple of others with st-p's but I don't see them on the road much.
By the way my name stickerman is my job. Stickerman Australia Pty Ltd. Maroochydore Q so if your in the area feel free to pop in for a cuppa and a chat..

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »
Welcome aboard the crazy-train.  :runyay

Great bunch of guys who are ultra-helpful, very knowledgeable and good fun. :thumbsup :thumbs :thumbsup :beer

The ST's must be the best alround bike on the roads today and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours no-end.

I ride a white 1300.

Take care,

Dave R                                                                   :wht13
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »
You'll have to post up some pics of your Police 'tribute' bike!

I doubt the cops will be too interested unless you actually put Police stickers on it?

There are a fair few ST's in the UK that have been made to look like cop bikes (or ex-cop bikes with the hi viz left on them), one guy even has a huge sticker across the screen saying 'POLITE'.  I think some things can be taken too far.....

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »
Welcome to the site mate. I have to say if it ever gets to the point that I have to dress up as a cop (no offense meant to the constabulary) to feel safe then I'll give it away
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Stickerman

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »
 :thumb  Your so right about taking it too far. I do have badges on it in the shape of a shield, nothing like the police but they look official and there reflective, but when you look closely it says ST 1100-P riders. I don't want to take it too far and start looking like a freek but it's hard for me because I can design and make anything I want when works not busy. I would like to chat with a bike cop about it and how they feel about the st's compared to the BM's. I will take some pics when the weather clears up.. :thumbs

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »
:thumb  Your so right about taking it too far. I do have badges on it in the shape of a shield, nothing like the police but they look official and there reflective, but when you look closely it says ST 1100-P riders. I don't want to take it too far and start looking like a freek but it's hard for me because I can design and make anything I want when works not busy. I would like to chat with a bike cop about it and how they feel about the st's compared to the BM's. I will take some pics when the weather clears up.. :thumbs
:fp
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Stickerman

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »
I thought I was a good enough rider to keep out of trouble, but like road rage, people just don't care a crap about anyone else on the road.. My accident really put the wind up me. I don't have any memory of the accident. When the car bit my leg and broke it, the pain knocked me out. The first memory I have is coming to when the paramedics where taking my helmet off. I couldn't breath and the pain was intense. I had no idea what had happened I just felt that this could be it for me. I am not one for giving up and I have a lot of respect the the boys in blue, it's a crap job to do.  :law  Drivers in WA must be better than QLD, lucky you.

Offline Skip

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
Welcome Stickerman. I reckon take it as far as you can without being charged with impersonating one.  :-(((  We have a couple of motorcycle police on this site and they understand your concerns I'm sure. No doubt we will see you around on one of our regular rides. Any question about the ST can be answered here by any number of geniuses.
One last thing. Go to shop section and get yourself and OzSTOC Tee Shirt. Wear it when you join our next ride as we have a title to defend here in Qld.
Cheers.
Skip.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
Hey each to thier own & whatever & however you ride then good on ya, but don't think that WA drivers are any better than anywhere else!
As for the paramedics I'd be dead without them I had my left leg almost severed after an altercation with a car, who knows one day we may meet at an RTE & can compare scars.
Most important thing is keep riding
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »
Welcome Stickerman :hatwave

Your (almost :cop) :wht11 sounds awesome I look forward to seeing it :thumb

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Stickerman

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »
Many many years ago I was involved on the good side of the police and got to know them personally and most of them are the nicest people I have met, with some exceptions of course. I even dated a police woman in Freo, WA and spent time on Rotto with the boys, but I found out very quickly when your in your in and when your out, you need to get the hell out of there  :o  I give them the respect they deserve. Having said that, I'm trying to be a pretend cop, I'm just doing what I need to do in order to stay alive on the road. The one thing I have noticed is how law abiding everyone is and they even move out of the right lane to let me pass, :thumbs  cars wait for me to go passed before pulling out of driveways and the mobile phone slide off the ears of stupid drivers when they see me. The pitfalls of it are on single lane roads when they slow down under the speed limit until I overtake..
All in all,  just by riding around it makes people do what they should. so I'm ok with that. :thumb

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
Welcome Stickerman.

As to the advantages of a white ST I'd take advantage of it. Not that six years of owning a blue one has caused me any grief either.

I had a similar experience on a previous Honda CX500 Turbo. Being off white in colour, the word "turbo" spelt backwards below the screen I used to get an almost free run through the suburbs of Adelaide all those years ago. Actually getting Adelaide drivers to take notice is in itself is a small miracle, never mind moving out of the way.

Back then I used to live next to a SA Police motorcycle rider as well. What was quite funny was the look on car drivers faces as I pulled up next to him at the traffic lights and we started chatting waiting for the lights to change. Got some good advice off him as well "if you find yourself in a bad situation, do what you need to do to get out of it." which I use to this day.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:15:15 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 07:55:45 PM »
One last thing. Go to shop section and get yourself and OzSTOC Tee Shirt. Wear it when you join our next ride as we have a title to defend here in Qld.
Cheers.
Skip.

NO DON'T !!!!

They're crap material, got 5 sleeves and they shrink even when you only think about getting a drink of water.

Give you money to the Salvo's instead (that's where the Qld boys get some extra members from anyway)

Take care,

Dave R                                                         :wht13
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.