Author Topic: My love affair with the ST  (Read 1739 times)

Offline phil-ST-er

• ST Legend
My love affair with the ST
« on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »
Hello all
I started my love of the ST when I accidently came across an ST1100 when looking to get back onto a road bike a few years ago. I have tended to be more one for the dirt and still have my XR650R (another Honda of course). This ST caught my attention and looked a bit sad so after some internet scrutiny to find out about them I decided to give it a go as everything I read indicated it was the perfect bike. With a bit of TLC and full servicing I started to get to know what this bike was capable of. I was not disappointed and we covered many good kilometers together. Now to those of you in the eastern states STs are not a common sight over here and the 1300 is just as rare a sight as the 1100. My first introduction to the 1300 came when travelling through Victoria (with some Harley mates) last year and whilst I had researched them you never can really appreciate things until you see them in the 'flesh'. So a search began and by June last year I had acquired a beautiful example of a blue 06 model that looked as good as it did the day it rolled out the showroom. It was located in Victoria so a flight over made for a good ride back to SA where we became well acquainted. How can 2 bikes be so similar yet so different? For awhile both of the bikes lived side by side along with the XR and 2 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo's  (sorry but I have a soft spot for these bikes, a story for another day). The 1100 went to a new owner and the 1300 is now the jewel in the crown. I love getting away and find I can travel for hours without any niggles. I think the seating ergonomics are different as with the 1100 I found I needed to stretch the legs out to avoid discomfort after about an hour. This not the case with the 1300. I feel like mI could go all day. She's a great bike but will always have a soft spot for the bike that originally developed my love of this model - the faithful ST1100. Thanks for reading my story.

Phil
 :blu13

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: My love affair with the ST
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:02:07 PM »
Mate, welcome,  I think you have summed it up so nicely about what we think about our bikes

"the jewel in the crown" look forward to seeing you around the place!
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
Phil, eloquently put!. Great to hear that I'm not the only one that got addicted to the ST so quickly.

Welcome to the lunatic asylum, I hope you spend many a happy year amongst the inmates (me included!!)

Cheers
Whizz
 :13Candy
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:25:40 AM »
Welcome Phil :hatwave

That is a beautiful ST and a great colour too :wink1

I also had a ST1100 and upgraded changed to a ST1300 and never looked back :grin (although both STs are great machines :-++)

The ST will serve you well and provide many fun times out on the road :thumb

Enjoy and keep the rubber side down

Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »
Welcome to the zoo Phil.

The 1100's and 1300's are two of the greatest bikes ever built IMO.

Dave                                                                :wht13
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:15:39 PM »
Welcome!  :beer