Author Topic: How about this for an idea?  (Read 2401 times)

Online STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
How about this for an idea?
« on: July 24, 2012, 08:35:59 AM »
I read in Aus Road Rider magazine last night about the BMW ts tour around the state and thought why can't we do something similar.
The thoughts so far: The ST Riders Tour (or similar name) could start in say southern Queensland journeying through the best local roads into NSW for an overnight stop, continuing next day to travel south through the best biking roads to a second overnight stop around Canberra area, before again travel south into Victoria to sample thier best biking roads maybe as far as Great Ocean road to South Aus.
 The idea is for those living in a particular area to nominate the route through thier bit of the country (avoiding the highways as much as possible) and to check on accomodation. Riders could join or leave the Tour as and when they please. Thier tour could be for the whole journey or just a little bit as work/time permits. Suggest that 500km per day would be max distance over the five days as we would need time for social intercourse and slaking our thirsts. Suggested this to be done around November or maybe autum next year before it gets too cold in Vic.
What does anybody else think about this idea? Any suggestions?

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
Re: How about this for an idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:39:25 AM »
 :wht11 py
Well Steveo I happen to like the Idea and of course would be in for the complete tour.
So you could say that I am in... :hatwave

Can we go now  :rofl

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm too far away.. :-[
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:37:40 AM »
I think it is a good idea we can work on, even if we modify it to fit in with an event like the Snowy Ride where riders may be coming anyway.  Make sure we don't forget!
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:29:46 PM »
I thought that if each area was surveyed by a member living in that particular area, then the workload of organising such an event would be spread over many people and be a little bit of 'this is my favourite road, how do you like it?' Then would only need a co-ordinator to finalise the route and post on forum for members to meet and ride as far as they want to.
Brock; will have to confine to east coast for the first one, maybe if sucessful go west then.

:bl11

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »
Great idea!  Sounds like Tipsy will be Roving Secretary (if you can get him to do the Daily Message before he gets on the turps).   :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
I think it is a great idea and something we can develop in conjunction with other events on the calendar.  Its more a matter of the logistics of running rides over a few days and linking up with others, but that might not be a problem if it is within a day or so ride.  At the moment just getting a day RTE up and running takes some time, but things will develop and mature as we go along.

I just have to get over a RTE on Sunday, Border Run next week and keeping in the good books at home. In between that have a few get togethers to attend and car and bike maintenance to attend to.  And a Skype conference call with the bosses....
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others