Author Topic: St 1300 keys!  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Pete54

• ST Legend
St 1300 keys!
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »
 I hope all you guys out there with st 13`s have more than 1 set of keys!, last friday i rode down to Lismore & stayed over night at mates place watched the cricket & a few beers. Up early thre next morning and headed off back to the gold coast, stopped to top up with fuel went to lock the fuel cap & snapped the key clean in half!! :|||| I couldn`t believe what had happened, hardly any pressure at all!. I had a spare key but it was back at the gold coast!!.  So!, waited till the bike shop opened ( ongmac honda Lismore ) sorry haven`t any keys , & if we did it would need to be cut & chipped!. My mate then drove me the gold coast & back 3 hours later then rode home. Rang Nerang honda the next day they said they had keeys $40, then they need to be cut $40 then chipped $50 :||||  I then rang Terrys locksmiths at Burleigh, they asked if i still had the but of the old key wich i did!, said that will save me $100 !!, they made a new key with the old chip for $30 !!! :grin.  NOW!  the lock smith told me if you have only one key and loose it !, it could cost $1500.00 to match up a new key with a chip that`s compatable with all the electronic computer crap with the honda HISS system!!.......Man what happened to the old days as far as keys go????..........Pete. :slvr13
03 ST1300

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: St 1300 keys!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
The $1500 a bit misleading.  The fact is, the FCU/ EIS will only reset for four new key codes (so I was told).  After that, you have to buy a new FCU, which costs more than $1500 by the time you add in new barrels for the "glovebox", seat and panniers, assuming you want to have just one key.

You can buy two key blanks from Hong Kong for $10 and have them cut.  The chip can be moved from your broken key to the HK key in seconds.  Alternatively, with a cut key and a broken key, you can start the motor just holding the old transponder next to the cut key while you crank the engine.  Then it will run without the transponder.  Just don't stall it at the lights!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
Re: St 1300 keys!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:01:22 PM »
I got the local Locksmith to cut me 2 good quality keys ( It appears that the Honda ones are made from cheese and break very easily).

I then got a radio knob from Jcar and did the radio knob farkle. I leave that key in the lock of the left pie-warmer and use it for ALL locking and unlocking jobs. The original key is only used for the ignition. That way I hope I don't have a breakage. I also carry the 2nd extra key in an EXTRA MINT tin in my jacket pocket just in case.

Poppy
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.