Author Topic: WARNING  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
WARNING
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:16:08 PM »
Big warning to anyone that parks a motorcycle in the Brisbane CBD…
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: WARNING
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »
How come I didn't get that letter?

You're obviously a VIP Shiney!!

Good warning, though.  I see all those nice bikes lined up all day.  No one would pay any attention to a person fiddling with one, since we all muck about with the bike before it's ready to ride.

I heard stories about thieves by-passing steering locks by simply throwing a bike onto a flatbed
truck.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
I have more information that I don’t have approval to release, but…
If you have an immobiliser of some sort (like the H.I.S.S. on the ST1300) the bike should be safe from these guys.

If anyone is parking in the Brisbane CBD that doesn’t have an immobiliser fitted, I would suggest a disc lock with the cable to the handlebars as a good deterrent.

And as a final tip, the motorcycle parks near the Victoria Bridge are under surveillance (there is a camera that rotates past the area)

Cheers
Shiney

rjstorrie

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »

There's no date on the letter, when did this warning get issues and is it still current?

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:52:49 PM »

There's no date on the letter, when did this warning get issues and is it still current?

From what I’m told it was issued last week and is still current

rjstorrie

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »
It's something we all should be cautous of anywhere anytime these days. We've had motorbikes taken from the front of Logan hospital too, even though the carparks are patrolled, noone saw anything.
 :fp

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:16:01 AM »
Fellas don't get concerned about this letter.  This is a "community policing" initiative that somebody has put together to put on a resume for their next promotion to say they are good guys.  Somebody somewhere has crunched some numbers and a boss has kicked up a stink so they have covered their butt by doing this letter up and whacking together some great plan, or as I said they have approached a boss with some figures to justify the write-up in the next application for promotion they submit. 

This is a common action to ensure people are doing the right thing and securing their vehicles instead of leaving them in a vulnerable position.  The reason this letter doesn't have a date on it is because it will be brought out over a couple of months until the "Operation" finishes, or they run out of flyers.  Somebody may be rostered once a week to go and issue them in car parks as part of their rounds, or they are given 10 each a day or similar as part of the operation. 

I wouldn't get concerned, we have seen this type of thing hundreds of times in the last 20 years that I have worn the suit. 
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 12:32:37 PM »
Fellas don't get concerned about this letter.  This is a "community policing" initiative that somebody has put together to put on a resume for their next promotion to say they are good guys.  Somebody somewhere has crunched some numbers and a boss has kicked up a stink so they have covered their butt by doing this letter up and whacking together some great plan, or as I said they have approached a boss with some figures to justify the write-up in the next application for promotion they submit. 

This is a common action to ensure people are doing the right thing and securing their vehicles instead of leaving them in a vulnerable position.  The reason this letter doesn't have a date on it is because it will be brought out over a couple of months until the "Operation" finishes, or they run out of flyers.  Somebody may be rostered once a week to go and issue them in car parks as part of their rounds, or they are given 10 each a day or similar as part of the operation. 

I wouldn't get concerned, we have seen this type of thing hundreds of times in the last 20 years that I have worn the suit. 

Tack, your right about the letter being generic, but the thefts have occurred and the warning is real.

The information was confirmed by one of the officers investigating the thefts when he stoped by the office in relation to another investigation.

They have some leads they are chasing up but that’s about all I can say without disclosing sensitive information.

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »
Shiney I wasn't saying that the thefts weren't real, just maybe not as frequent, or as many, as the letter is meant to convey.  What my original statement was meant to say is that the epidemic that the letter is trying to portray may not be as bad as it appears to the general public.   

It doesn't matter which major city you are in there is always a problem with vehicle theft in Queensland.  Usually by the time these flyers get out the numbers are dropping off because the offenders have what they want, or it is done randomly as a knee jerk reaction to make a problem look much worse when there is a single incident. 

I know everybody is going to say now that a single bike stolen is bad, and whilst I have empathy for the owner having their life turned upside down, some of these letters can cause unnecessary alarm amongst target groups which in itself can be a problem.  Everybody should take heed of your suggestions for parking locations with better security, and should do this without having to be reminded is what I am saying.  I have an alarm and tracking features fitted when I park my bike and can't see it because of awareness.   
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:13:06 PM »
 :cop :law :|||| |-i :phone :fp
i love it when people argue the same thing.
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »
Fair call Tack, I agree with what you are saying and good point about always thinking about security :thumb

I was just trying to suggest that anyone parking in the Brisbane CBD be extra vigilant as I know for a fact there is a group targeting bikes in the area.
At this point in time they have stolen around 16 bikes.

But regardless of all that the main point as you said :-++ is to think of the security of your bike (just be extra careful in this area :eek)

Cheers
Shiney

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
I saw a video of this sort of thing from the UK. If your bike got stolen, you could contact a group of villains (but good ones) who would park an attractive bike in the target area and wait (in a dodgy looking beat up van) until the thieves turned up in their van to steal the bike. The Villains would then pile out, grab the badies, give them a hiding (maybe a broken bone or two), grab their bike and disappear in the van leaving the battered crooks lying in the road.

Seems bikes were safe in the area for a long time after that...
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

rjstorrie

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
I saw a video of this sort of thing from the UK. If your bike got stolen, you could contact a group of villains (but good ones) who would park an attractive bike in the target area and wait (in a dodgy looking beat up van) until the thieves turned up in their van to steal the bike. The Villains would then pile out, grab the badies, give them a hiding (maybe a broken bone or two), grab their bike and disappear in the van leaving the battered crooks lying in the road.

Seems bikes were safe in the area for a long time after that...

I like it, now where can we find a good villian group?

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »
 :grin
I like it, now where can we find a good villian group?

Look no further!!  Diesel keeps calling us "villains"!!   :grin    :eek
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 10:14:09 AM »
I'd like to meet the Crime Prevention Officer.
Does Sgt Don Dull live up to his name
Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 10:46:06 AM »
I'd like to meet the Crime Prevention Officer.
Does Sgt Don Dull live up to his name

:rofl I haven't met Dull so I can't comment :whistle

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
I've got a good idea.
Why not park your bikes on the footpath outside the office?

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »
I've got a good idea.
Why not park your bikes on the footpath outside the office?

The Police don't like having to walk around my bike to get into the building :wink1

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 05:48:07 PM »
Its worked very well in the city of Melbourne for the last few years. Why not Brisbane?

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »
Its worked very well in the city of Melbourne for the last few years. Why not Brisbane?

There are plenty of places in Brisbane that people are permitted to park motorcycles on the footpath :thumb

But outside the Police Beat isn't one of them :'(

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »

There are plenty of places in Brisbane that people are permitted to park motorcycles on the footpath :thumb

But unlike Melbourne, they have to have the appropriate lines drawn on the approved area.
In Melbourne the riders are allowed to use their intelligence to park anywhere they won't impede the flow of pedestrian traffic.
I had a beaut little alcove down near Eagle Pier but the Brown Bomber saw it entirely differently.   :cuss