Author Topic: Uncertain about making changes  (Read 5677 times)

Offline jf3000

• One Armed Bandit.
Uncertain about making changes
« on: December 03, 2013, 06:58:05 PM »
I wanted to ask if there were members here that would be happy to earn the extra $$$ for making changes to my ST1300. Its just a question. Being new to the ST and not being comfortable jumping into the zone of undoing everything and then making something and putting it all back together and having some screws left over thinking where do they go, then ummm oh well probably spares lol. So not a confident person when making changes.

Wanted to know if there were members in Brisbane who would be willing to make changes for an extra buck if and when I get to that point?

After seeing all the changes people have made I am more than excited to part with my money to have another member who has the experience and confidence on making the changes to my bike as well.

Thanks

j

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: Uncertain about making changes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »
So what changes are you thinking of, I think that we would be keen to give you a hand regardless, here is the place to air your thoughts so we can help with the yes do that's and the no no no don't do that!

We have all spent good money doing good stuff, and also spent good money working out hoe not to do something's....
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »
Well I liked the idea of the additional lights and some sound advice on the front screen, ive seen most people remove it and add a completely different one, obviously doing away with the up and down motion thing, unless they still use that.

The left and right storage containers, do people use those for anything else other than storage?

All the after-market screens just bolt on, and the mechanism still works fine.  It's only an issue with large spot lights on the Honda brackets that may snag a wide screen.

Some folk put their aux power outlet in the left box.  Some have put a radio tuner in there.  Most of us just use them as pie warmers.     :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:28:57 PM »
Regarding working on the bike, depending on the project, it can take minutes or days.

For some things like the cruise control and intercom system, it's worth giving the job to a professional like Dale who does it right the first time and doesn't want your first-born in exchange.

For something like an oil and filter change or air filter mining job, there are those among us who'd do it for an alcoholic consideration.  We haven't actually had one yet, but workshop afternoons at Diesel's rural retreat have been mooted, where we all stand around drinking piss and taking the same out of a victim who attempts to reassemble another victim's bike after performing some esoteric operation that everyone has forgotten the original purpose of by the time the remaining fasteners are handed out as mementos.

>:()

Has potential.  Ya still wanna do this?    :beer
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »
...... advice on the front screen, ive seen most people remove it and add a completely different one, obviously doing away with the up and down motion thing, unless they still use that.

I've got the up and down motion thingy and use it, but I still find it's not quite high enough at its highest setting (sometimes gets in line-of-sight when cornering) and would like to remount it around 30-50mm higher.  I suppose this is an easy job - for someone skilled - probably drill some new sets of holes at 30-50mm higher. 

I reckon we'll hear otherwise if I'm wrong??????

The left and right storage containers, do people use those for anything else other than storage?
I put stuff in mine. :rofl

I've noticed a few of a colleagues put some power sockets / outlets in them.  That sounded like a good idea, so I've done that.  Now I've just gotta get some help wiring them up. :rofl
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:32:37 PM by Williamson »
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
aux power outlet to charge phones etc?

The very same.  Or a pump after repairing a puncture.

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »
Have a look at the following topics:
"How To..." Instructions and Pics for Regular Maintenance Jobs specific to the ST1300...

They may give you some ideas and indication of how to do some mods :grin
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 09:31:39 PM »
I've got the up and down motion thingy and use it, but I still find it's not quite high enough at its highest setting (sometimes gets in line-of-sight when cornering) and would like to remount it around 30-50mm higher.  I suppose this is an easy job - for someone skilled - probably drill some new sets of holes at 30-50mm higher. 

I reckon we'll hear otherwise if I'm wrong??????

No need to drill anything.  Honda thoughtfully put a higher position option in the screen.  Pull it to bits and you'll see how it can be made to go 100 mm higher by using different holes!!

Offline Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »
No need to drill anything.  Honda thoughtfully put a higher position option in the screen.  Pull it to bits and you'll see how it can be made to go 100 mm higher by using different holes!!
I'll check it out tomorrow.  But I'm thinking 100mm may be too much.  Yeah, I know I don't have to put all the way up, but at it's lowest point it may be too high.  If ya know what I mean?
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:40 PM »
Yeah, I know I don't have to put all the way up, but at it's lowest point it may be too high.  If ya know what I mean?

Doubt it.   It might be a bit less than 100mm.  I tried it and found it too high at full stretch.  I would also be loathe to run it up to that height while doing 110 kays since it would have a fair whack of leverage on the mechanism, and we know what can happen to them!

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »
Shiney - You werent part of The A Team were you?

:rofl :rofl :rofl Nah, I wish... Before the ST I had never done much of anything on any of the bikes I'd owned :eek
But with the support and knowledge of the guys here I have done a few mods :thumbsup (Then they helped me fix my mistakes :wink1 :grin

The more I do on the bike the more it becomes mine... if that makes any sense :o

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »

Nah, more like  "D" Team

:rofl :rofl  :beer
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 10:20:49 PM »

Nah, more like  "D" Team

:rofl :rofl  :beer

:thumb :thumbsup :thumbs   
Nice one Brock, you got it 
 :clap :grin