Honda ST1100 Section > Tyres...to suit your ST1100

The Darkside.

(1/6) > >>

Brock:
Winston66 posted.

--- Quote --- :rd13   :think1

Winston 66 wonders?  Question for today,  This darkside business.

Is there a suitable C/T that will fit the rear of the St1300 some people give good reports about the Kuhmo on other makes of motorcycles.
  Has anyone tried this route.

Opinions please.

Cheers ,winston66,    :thumbs    :runyay :think1
--- End quote ---

Dan:
Yeah there's loads of posts about this on the st-owners forum.  There's also a couple of guys using a Bridgestone BT45 rear tyre on the front, to go 'double-dark'.

Turtle:
That looks like a great tyre for the Nullabour runs time to look into this more for my St1100

Dan:

--- Quote from: Turtle on February 14, 2012, 09:05:30 AM ---That looks like a great tyre for the Nullabour runs time to look into this more for my St1100

--- End quote ---

For the 1100 I believe we need to get a Goldwing GL1500 rear wheel.  This is because there are no 17" car tyres narrow enough to fit the standard wheel.  I think the wheel would need some spacers made up as well.

The GW wheel is 16", and combined with a tyre narrow enough to fit the circumference is smaller than the standard wheel and tyre.  So the revs required for a given speed will increase.  Acceleration should improve, top speed should drop. 

Personally I would like to try a Darkside bike.  Without actually trying it, I reckon it would be great for distance rides and general commuting, but I am not so convinced about riding quickly in the twisties.  For me at the moment, I would like 2 sets of wheels - normal and Dark, depending on what I am going to do.  Although whether I could be bothered to change them all the time is another matter....

The other concern I have is with insurance and the legal side of things.  If an accident happens, would they pay out?  Anyone know?  I am not worried about damage to my bike, but I wouldn't really want to be sued for $$$s for 3rd party damages/injuries because the insurer refused to pay. 

Or maybe the mods could be declared up front?   :think1

saaz:
Des is right about the modifications needed for the ST11. The ST13 just takes a car tyre as is. The size of tyre needed is somewhat hard to get even in the US. A London taxi tyre fits it seems.  Insurance wise, I know that some have told their insurance company and it did not matter.  I think you would want any such modification specifically listed on your policy.  I don't even know if you would pass a roadworthy though, and if the bike was not deemed roadworthy then insurance may not cover anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version