Author Topic: Another Rider fined for camera on helmet  (Read 9488 times)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Another Rider fined for camera on helmet
« on: November 22, 2014, 07:25:56 AM »
http://motorbikewriter.com/police-crackdown-helmet-cams/

**Respectful discussion here please peoples...... ;-*
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
Re: Another Rider fined for camera on helmet
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
I would suggest that there must be a push from within the force, cant` see why a patrol man would bother or perhaps know that there was indeed a law! Let alone enforce such a grey area. As the article suggests, just fight it and have your day in court. Just sayin`.................. :wht11
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 08:21:05 AM »
I have sent an enquiry about the legality of Helmet Cams in SA to our Police Road Safety and Traffic Information Office.  I'll report back with the results.

The SA Road Traffic Act S162B  refers to the Regulations for helmet specifications. (see the note below about those seemingly now non-existent regulations)

In the meantime, refer to the following article for the dogs breakfast surrounding approval of motorcycle helmets in Australia.    http://www.roadrider.com.au/special-features/what-makes-a-helmet-legal

The SA Road Traffic Regulations that are referred to in that article were repealed in September 2014 and appear to have not been replaced, and an SA Govt Web site   http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rules/the-drivers-handbook/motorcycles  which is discussing wearing of helmets in SA, still makes reference to those regulations.

Left hand??  Right hand??  :fp
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
In WA, the Police dont worry about Helmet cams, and the Helmet standard mine field.  Most of the Bike Coppers actually have cameras mounted, not Gopro but.

WA Laws (at least they used to) say that the helmet had to have the AS (5tick) sticker issued by Standards Aust, but as has been repeated many times, Standards Aust havent done that since SAI Global came in to being. Thus theregs were unenforceable

Its interesting, that NSW Police keep coming up with ways to target bikes. The infamous exhaust system blitz, Helmet blitz (started just after NSW changed the rules so no-one including Police could comply) and now helmet cams.

Personally I wouldnt wear a GoPro on the Helmet due to the drag factor trying to twist the head left/right/back and just think how it would react in the turbulence behind a truck. I do have a Drift Ghost S, but its low profile. I generally dont have the camera on the helmet, as its too easy to get the speedo in the frame and that may not be a good idea..  o:)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:51:22 PM by Brock »
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »
It looks like she has a Drift Ghost attached to the top of her helmet, and that's exactly where my Drift is attached when I'm taking video. If I'm taking still shots then it's mounted to the front of the bike. How ridiculous to book someone for such a petty thing, whilst the camera is mounted quite well for the purpose it's mounted for, it wouldn't take much of a knock if the helmet were to hit the ground, for it to dislodge or smash off the helmet, the helmet would still do the job that it's intended to do.  If there was any doubt on the officer's part then he could have issued her with a warning............very petty if you ask me!! :cuss

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »
For what it is worth a Go Pro fitted to Michael Schumachers ski helmet was apparently a contributor to the severity of his injury.  Shares in Go Pro dived when it was announced.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »
Anything's possible of course, just carrying a bunch of keys in your pocket could cause severe injuries to the top of the leg if you fall on them............but, these are the everyday risks we take without thinking too much about them!   I recall something that was told to me long ago, "If we put up too many fences against the risks we take, then we run the risk of shutting out life itself" :grin

For what it is worth a Go Pro fitted to Michael Schumachers ski helmet was apparently a contributor to the severity of his injury.  Shares in Go Pro dived when it was announced.
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »
Nice job of masking the factory installed "dint" with Drift camera mounted to the nose Baz  :like

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 10:02:45 PM »
It's a great spot for taking still shots but I found there was too much vibration for successful video in that position, hence the mount on top of the helmet, which also gives a clear view of everything ahead. This is the beauty of the Drift Ghost Camera, it's small and unobtrusive, and controlled from your riding position using the remote control unit that I have strapped to my left handlebar, then it's simply a matter of pressing a button, and away ya go!! :grin

Nice job of masking the factory installed "dint" with Drift camera mounted to the nose Baz  :like

:beer

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
Anything's possible of course, just carrying a bunch of keys in your pocket could cause severe injuries to the top of the leg if you fall on them............but, these are the everyday risks we take without thinking too much about them!   I recall something that was told to me long ago, "If we put up too many fences against the risks we take, then we run the risk of shutting out life itself" :grin

Yes Couch but there is also a concept of risk versus reward.

Is the risk of exacerbating a potential catastrophic  injury worth the reward of a few videos when with a bit of effort you could find a safer way of mounting the camera. To me not but obviously others will disagree.   I have a Cho Pro  (Chinese Go Pro) and now the initial novelty has worn off I barely use it so for me the risk is not worth the reward..

I do think it is a fall call to say that individuals are pushing the boundaries more and more in all forms of human activity just to obtain video footage to feed you tube and we all have seen videos where the risk taken was definitely not worth the reward.

In fact watching these goons is one of my main sources of entertainment!!

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:35:48 AM by HunterTodd »

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »

Yes Couch but there is also a concept of risk versus reward.

Some could say it's a risk every time we ride a motorcycle as well, but it doesn't stop us riding hey!  If you look hard enough you'll likely find danger in everything we do, but that's just how life is.  We all need to take as much care in anything we do, but we never know what might pop up around the next corner to throw a spanner in the works! :grin

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 02:41:05 PM »
Yes Couch clearly  for those us us who ride the reward is definitely worth the risk, and to assume there is little or no inherent risk in motorcycle riding is naive. The best we can do is mitigate the risk

I was merely pointing out a documented case of a negative outcome when a camera is worn on a helmet. 

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 03:35:04 PM »
Point taken my friend :thumbsup

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 09:01:19 PM »
Anything's possible of course, just carrying a bunch of keys in your pocket could cause severe injuries to the top of the leg if you fall on them

Reminds me, If a Nurse is every brought into the ED after an RTA unconscious you always check to see if she/he has a perforated bladder as they frequently carry a pair of scissors.
A
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 09:06:08 PM »
I have a Cho Pro  (Chinese Go Pro) and now the initial novelty has worn off I barely use it so for me the risk is not worth the reward..

I use mine mainly to document the behavior of other road users in the event of something going nasty.
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »
A fine for cam helmet was just dismissed by a judge in Vic - paving the way for their legal use....

http://motorbikewriter.com/judge-dismisses-helmet-camera-fine/

Could open the door for my new helmet cam too....

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 11:16:36 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

The following users thanked this post: Marcus, Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 10:24:15 PM »
A fine for cam helmet was just dismissed by a judge in Vic - paving the way for their legal use....

http://motorbikewriter.com/judge-dismisses-helmet-camera-fine/

Could open the door for my new helmet cam too....

That just ridiculous, that lens cap flapping around in front of your face, really?............

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 11:45:30 PM »
I have sent an enquiry about the legality of Helmet Cams in SA to our Police Road Safety and Traffic Information Office.  I'll report back with the results.

The SA Road Traffic Act S162B  refers to the Regulations for helmet specifications. (see the note below about those seemingly now non-existent regulations)

In the meantime, refer to the following article for the dogs breakfast surrounding approval of motorcycle helmets in Australia.    http://www.roadrider.com.au/special-features/what-makes-a-helmet-legal

The SA Road Traffic Regulations that are referred to in that article were repealed in September 2014 and appear to have not been replaced, and an SA Govt Web site   http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rules/the-drivers-handbook/motorcycles  which is discussing wearing of helmets in SA, still makes reference to those regulations.

Left hand??  Right hand??  :fp
Looks like Pete didn't do a follow up on this; anyway one of our local police girls got back to me a couple weeks ago and I posted the following quote on another similar topic. http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=5885.msg1193597#msg1193597

No Issue in SA

Anita (Police Officer) rang me today.

The word from the SAPOL Traffic Branch is that providing a cam mounted to the helmet isn't a permanent attachment then we are fine. A stick on mount is fine. On the other hand if you drilled holes in your helmet then that becomes a modification which might see you in trouble.

This is a guess on my part but I would see the same status would apply to rider communication mounts as well.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 01:04:11 AM »

That just ridiculous, that lens cap flapping around in front of your face, really?............

:rofl :rofl :rofl
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »
As regards to law and insurance, I'm sure that due to all the different helmets available, a large number from Asia, if you are involved in an accident and your helmet does not have an AS sticker, insurance companies view this as you neglected your safety and can use this as an excuse not to pay out on a claim.
With regards to helmet cams, I used to have a contour on my helmet and now have a drift ghost, I feel that like a car can have a safety cam fitted, why can't I. Do NSW cops have cameras mounted to their helmets? If so, surely they come under the same law, even the police aren't above the law. I would fight the case and say I am responsible for my own safety on the road and the camera is a necessary accessory to prove liability.

:wht11

The following users thanked this post: Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 11:05:48 PM »
Many helmets in WA, dont have the 5tick sticker. Standards Aust dont issue stickers, ( dont actually exist any more ) SAI Global (owners of AS symbol and 5 ticks) dont issue stickers. Thats where the helmet regs break down.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
There are several organisations that can test helmet compliance to the standard and issue their own compliance sticker. The important thing is the lining has a compliance mark with the appropriate standard e.g. AS1698 or the appropriate ECE standard (at least in QLD). The 5 tick sticker as the only compliance mark went out years ago and if WA still have that as the only compliance requirement for helmets then they really need to come into the 21st century and update their legislation.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 02:57:53 PM »
Hi there Bikerbear,

All I can say is NO, NO, NO, No more rules and laws Please.

There is, are, (in m opinion), already too many confusing rules , laws , opinions  existing now , I would not poke that snake  at all , I would prefer to let the sleeping dog lie and not think about stiring up the pathetic authority people at any cost.
Whilst ambiguity exists in the  piss pore legislation, Let us bike riders use our own common sense about how much we value our  personal safety and well being , and what sort of effort we as individuals are prepared to take in order to protect ourselves.
I believe that Individual people should be responsible for their own personal conduct.

Cheers to all ,
Winston66
Northampton , Western Australia
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »
It's a great spot for taking still shots but I found there was too much vibration for successful video in that position, hence the mount on top of the helmet, which also gives a clear view of everything ahead. This is the beauty of the Drift Ghost Camera, it's small and unobtrusive, and controlled from your riding position using the remote control unit that I have strapped to my left handlebar, then it's simply a matter of pressing a button, and away ya go!! :grin

I've tried camera of various parts of my bike.  I find stills generally are quite good from any spot bus as you say video does get affected from the vibration.  I find the best spot on the fro the front is attaching the camera behind the screen (not possible on a lot of models though) but the sun can play havoc with it if you're heading towards it.  On the rear I usually attach my camera under the top box.