Author Topic: Usable fuel capacity on ST1300  (Read 8075 times)

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
Usable fuel capacity on ST1300
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:57:15 PM »
Went for a ride in the country today without filling up first. I thought that 3 bars on the fuel gauge should get me to the highway where fuel is generally cheaper. Anyway, I got myself into a nice remote area when the low fuel indicator starts flashing, then managed to make a wrong turn (you know how it is  :whistle ) and the remaining fuel is steadily and worryingly decreasing. At the point where the computer gives up trying to figure out life expectancy, I am in the middle of some hill country and I carefully nurse it along, hoping that civilisation and an open petrol station will appear soon. At last I see the signs of a town coming into view and pull into the servo, fill up but note that it only takes 26L of fuel  :think1.

So what happened to the other 4L that I thought the ST held?.

Does anyone have some insight as to how much fuel it should have taken to fill up from "apparent" empty?.

Allan

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Usable fuel capacity on ST1300
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:10:38 PM »
I saw exactly the same thing a few years ago in Rockhampton at a very small single pump shop.
I put it down to the pump doing the unlikely: under-reading.

YoungSTer recently experienced the opposite, and challenged the attendant who said they knew of the error and gave them a $2 credit.

I run a spreadsheet which calculates the expected remaining range based on one litre unusable, and it always agrees with either the "count-down" or my projections based on recent consumption.

Regarding the "count-down" facility- you have probably seen for yourself it loses the plot if you shut down and restart the bike.  It's only reliable if read continuously.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 05:24:57 PM »
I saw exactly the same thing a few years ago in Rockhampton at a very small single pump shop.
I put it down to the pump doing the unlikely: under-reading.

Regarding the "count-down" facility- you have probably seen for yourself it loses the plot if you shut down and restart the bike.  It's only reliable if read continuously.

I seriously doubt that the pump was under reading by 15%, although it is a country servo.
As I said, I was riding continuously so stop/start errors wouldnt have occurred. I have seen this sort of effect with other vehicles as well and it seems quite reasonable that when so close to 0 range left the startup usage is going to have a significant effect, particularly if it is a cold start. I had this happen with the same bike many years ago when I got home from a ride with something like 40K left flashing on the gauge. Next morning I start the bike and get to the end of the (very short) street where it promptly stopped.  Its a damned heavy bike to push :)

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »
The spec is 29.2 litres as Totgas posted very recently in another post.

I've deliberately run mine to empty on a run back from Rockhampton and got to 565 km before running out with no coughing at all before empty. Topped it up with 4 litres and rode another 60 km and then filled up with 27.5 liters.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 09:40:40 PM »
Thanks Gary,
From what you reported it would indicate close to 30L capacity. I've had over 550K's on a tank as well, but I dont remember how much it used to refill that time and thats why I was so surprised that it only took 26L when it was indicating that it was empty.
I'd had a problem with the battery this morning so I'm wondering if that confused the trip meter, still I would have thought that a 250km run would have given it time to sort itself out.
It'll be interesting to see what it reports on this current tank full.

Allan

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 10:57:20 PM »
This may be common knowledge however,

The ST1300 has a dual-section fuel tank which places 21 liters of fuel in the conventional tank location and an additional 8.7 liters in a sub-tank located low in the chassis. This results in an increase in fuel capacity and an even weight distribution.

I also believe the ST1100 has the same arrangement, that's why when filling, the last liter takes it's time filling all the available space.

A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 11:46:42 PM »
I also believe the ST1100 has the same arrangement, that's why when filling, the last liter takes it's time filling all the available space.

The 1100 unlike the 1300 has a single tank

The correct level to fill is to the bottom of the filler neck which allows room for the fuel to expand on hot days neck but I fill mine all the way as it gets used straight away or at least only sits overnight. It takes longer to fill the last little bit as the air needs to escape as the fuel pushes it out.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:48:05 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 07:35:25 PM »
"Does anyone have some insight as to how much fuel it should have taken to fill up from "apparent" empty?."

If it didn't stop it isn't all that empty. Cunning buggers these Japs.

You can probably be safe to expect 70km once the low light starts to flash.

I made a habit of testing the peramiters of range on any bike I ride years ago.
And I use the trip meter to good use..

A bit of knowledge puts all these things at ease no surprises.

Edit: Just for general info cos you might need it one day.
If the bikes showing two bars then its all in the bottom tank and that bung in the pump ass can be removed without getting a bath. Tis all from the department of useless information and public mayhem. :grin
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:42:13 PM by Gatey »
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »
Riding till it stops would definitely have been the best way to guarantee that the tank was empty, though I was fairly sure that would have meant a very long walk to a servo.
When the low light starts flashing on the ST it generally means 100km to go, and as I said above I've had over 550km on a full tank before, but in this case I didnt know what range I had achieved because the battery had gone flat that morning so the trip meter was reset. I assumed that when the low fuel light came on it meant I had approx 100km to go, and when the remaining distance indicator went blank I was sure that I had around 40k to go as I had experienced before. However when I actually got to a servo and filled up I found that it took somewhat less than I expected so I guessed that the tank wasnt empty at all, hence the question.

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 09:54:20 PM »
I would agree with Gatey, around 70Km but there are some depends that go with that like speed, wind, slow traffic etc.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »
Not to mention fuel quality in that list TJ.

That becomes very evident once your out on a very big ride and the data is flowing in every 600/700km and the bad fuel is very evident.

One trip a few months ago had been producing good 21's then dropped on a full 45ltrs to below 14 per 100 with all other conditions well within variables.
Almost blew the ride plan requiring one unplanned fuel stop fortunately the place was still open. 30ltrs on top of the remaining crap fuel and instant mid 19's.

My thoughts after a good few years filling from all sorts of servos large small in town or out along the way. Crap low energy fuel does exist regardless of brand. Its enough to stuff your figures.
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 08:31:48 PM »
Not to mention fuel quality in that list TJ.

That becomes very evident once your out on a very big ride and the data is flowing in every 600/700km and the bad fuel is very evident.

One trip a few months ago had been producing good 21's then dropped on a full 45ltrs to below 14 per 100 with all other conditions well within variables.
Almost blew the ride plan requiring one unplanned fuel stop fortunately the place was still open. 30ltrs on top of the remaining crap fuel and instant mid 19's.

My thoughts after a good few years filling from all sorts of servos large small in town or out along the way. Crap low energy fuel does exist regardless of brand. Its enough to stuff your figures.

So would you use a fuel additive/booster or what ever it's called to assist when you have to use servo's out of the way?? if so, has it assisted fuel economy >>
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 01:02:21 PM »
Funny thing is Abe, its not always fuel servos that are out of the way places that produce poor fuel burns.
I've picked up crap fuel in places as divers as Lithgow, Goondiwindi, Hebal, Warwick, Tailem Bend, Ouyen, Little Topar and the list can go on.

Many of these occasions Ive been in company and the second bikes produced the same poor results per fills.

Never used a fuel booster in the bikes so I cant answer.

Its worth noting on the 1300 that area of fuel in the top tank that under normal level condition would never be able to sneak into the lower tank.
Throw in a long steady climb on or below two bars at say the Moombi's for example (or between Gillgandra and Coonabarabran) Its probably more than feasible on occasion to be held for longer climbing that bit of range and more of that trapped fuel to drain into the bottom tank and actually get used.
I have noted in a similar topic the refill from one such occasion that returned over 28ltrs to fill the bike up. But it had run very high mileage too.
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew