Author Topic: National Rallies - Ladies Activities  (Read 4878 times)

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
National Rallies - Ladies Activities
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »
We'd like to make sure that ladies are considered as we plan activities for national rallies.    Can you please have a chat with the ladies who have attended national rallies and post here with their suggestions for their own activities at national rallies.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP, Jdbiker

Online PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Re: National Rallies - Ladies Activities
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 09:33:47 AM »
Male strippers bulk wine and loud music has been mentioned :butt :fp

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »

Sounds good to me  ;-*
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 06:53:09 PM »

The fact that this post was from PC and not from NavGirl was not lost on me....   :grin

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:17:04 PM »
PitSTop says manicures, pedicures and massages  |-i
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 08:28:05 PM »
PitSTop says manicures, pedicures and massages  |-i
That's for you, what does she want? :stirpot

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 10:05:03 PM »
So to bring this back to a more serious discussion boys  :p

Many ladies love to walk, particularly if there is then guilt free coffee & cake at the halfway stop  ;-*

Markets are always on a ladies to do list, or even a trip to the movies for a chick flick. But I know you married boys won't beleive me but ladies love to talk, and just sitting around with the girls talking about anything that bores a male is really pleasant to us. Just add a cuppa of tea and a Timtam and we are in heaven.

Pockey :KissBlow
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, Jdbiker

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 10:12:49 PM »
a Timtam and we are in heaven.

I agree with your TimTam comment -
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »
But I know you married boys won't beleive me but ladies love to talk

PitSTop has 10,000 extra  words a day to get out before I can get a word in so I know they do like a chat  |-i :whistle :grin
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »
So to bring this back to a more serious discussion boys 

Many ladies love to walk, particularly if there is then guilt free coffee & cake at the halfway stop  ;-*

Markets are always on a ladies to do list, or even a trip to the movies for a chick flick. But I know you married boys won't beleive me but ladies love to talk, and just sitting around with the girls talking about anything that bores a male is really pleasant to us. Just add a cuppa of tea and a Timtam and we are in heaven.

I imagine after thousands of km getting to the destination, some time with the feet up, sitting back with a cuppa or a chablis in a chalice, smaT miT, or soV oV decI biscuits would be appreciated.

Possibly a local arts, crafts and jewellery display might be appreciated. There are plenty of gifted artists in the region who I'm sure would be pleased to set up markets. (Is there a local market we could go to in Yamba, Grafton or McLean?)

The beach at Minnie Water was a nice walk.

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline Scarlett Thunderbolt

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 08:55:50 AM »
Hi Pete,
  I was interested and amazed to read that you thought it was necessary to organise special activities for 'the ladies'.

I’m an integral part of the Scarlett Thunderbolt team. I’m interested in the OzSTOC bikes, the RTEs & Rallies and the company. 

I find it strange that women who travel to RTEs or rallies might need to have special activites arranged for them. I can shop, go to the moves, drink coffee and eat bickies anywhere, and don’t need to have these arranged for me when I’m doing bike stuff. 

If you’re a woman attending an RTE or rally, I’d assume you were interested in your bike and the bikes and doings of the other members, and not there to separate yourself from these activities. Otherwise, why bother coming?

I’m not keen on the idea that men and women segregate themselves; blokes do the bloke stuff and ‘the ladies’ do the girly stuff. “Let’s send the girls off to do a bit of shopping” doesn’t sit well with me. Also, the suggestion of a cask of wine and a male stripper is pretty offensive, even if meant as a joke.

Sorry Pete if this sounds a bit strong, but I don't like to be sidelined or herded into 'appropriate' activities. Scarlett's my girl, so I'll stick with her - stuff the shopping*.

Kate   ;-*

* unless it includes farkles - John.
John, Kate & Miss Scarlett
Candy Red ST1300

The following users thanked this post: StinkyPete, ST2UP, Jdbiker

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »
Hi Pete,
  I was interested and amazed to read that you thought it was necessary to organise special activities for 'the ladies'.

I’m an integral part of the Scarlett Thunderbolt team. I’m interested in the OzSTOC bikes, the RTEs & Rallies and the company.

I find it strange that women who travel to RTEs or rallies might need to have special activites arranged for them. I can shop, go to the moves, drink coffee and eat bickies anywhere, and don’t need to have these arranged for me when I’m doing bike stuff.

If you’re a woman attending an RTE or rally, I’d assume you were interested in your bike and the bikes and doings of the other members, and not there to separate yourself from these activities. Otherwise, why bother coming?

I’m not keen on the idea that men and women segregate themselves; blokes do the bloke stuff and ‘the ladies’ do the girly stuff. “Let’s send the girls off to do a bit of shopping” doesn’t sit well with me. Also, the suggestion of a cask of wine and a male stripper is pretty offensive, even if meant as a joke.

Sorry Pete if this sounds a bit strong, but I don't like to be sidelined or herded into 'appropriate' activities. Scarlett's my girl, so I'll stick with her - stuff the shopping*.

Kate   ;-*

* unless it includes farkles - John.

Interesting comments Kate, and I agree with a lot of them.  After attending the rally in Perth though, some of the spouses who attended were thoroughly sick of the bikes after the trip over.  I will always do the bike related activities rather than "ladies" activities, especially since I ride my own ST, but there may be a perceived need for alternative activities for those who are not as bike mad as you and I.   My mum hated bikes, and would never get on one, but she attended many Ulysses overnighters with my dad for the social aspect.  Personally, I don't think there need to be "organised" activities, we're all old enough and perfectly capable of finding other things to do if the rally program doesn't suit.  Participation in activities is not compulsory.
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 11:33:50 AM »
Hey Wendy,
  Totally agree and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. As you said, we're all adults and can look after ourselves.

We do appreciate the intent of the Annual Rally organisers/co-ordinators in trying to offer something for those who may be a bit bike-weary, but, the way it was phrased, came across as a bit stereotypical. Probably me being a bit over-sensitive.

All the best, Kate  ++
Candy Red ST1300

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 12:01:03 PM »
Hi Kate,
Thanks so much for your comments.  I had intended that the post help ensure that everyone attending rallies are catered for, particularly so that  that those who are less passionate about motorcycles and related issues, but who attend for the holiday will find the gatherings to be social, interesting and engaging.  Perhaps my wording was not as PC as it could have been.   I've been to work conferences where activities and tours have been provided for attending partners who have less interest in the conference subjects, and it is my desire to explore this kind of offering and see if there is a need.  I totally agree that anyone riding or pillioning for several days would have a passion for motorcycling and all that goes with it, and would not want to be segregated off into a knitting circle. This was never my intention or inference.  I sincerely value your thoughts, and will continue to seek serious input from other members.
Pete

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 01:38:29 PM »
Hi Pete
  Thank you for your thoughtful and considered response to my rather knee-jerk reaction. Feeling as I do about our lovely girl, it’s hard sometimes for me to realise that not everyone has the same passion for the riding experience!  Even now, 5 days after urgent spinal surgery, I’m wondering how long it’ll be before I’m allowed back on board…

The wording was perhaps a tad non-PC. Anything that states it’s ‘For the ladies’ is guaranteed to get my back up, and when I see pink toolkits in Bunnings, my blood boils! I had a similar reaction when I saw shopping, movies, manicures and massages suggested as suitable pastimes ‘for the ladies’…I can use every tool we own, and  while I accept this puts me in a minority bracket, I’m really far more interested in farkles than handbags. 'Bike-weary pillions and partners’ would not have stuck in my throat nearly as much.

You never know, at some stage I may get a little weary of the ‘my farkle is better than your farkle’ contest, and actually join in a ‘ladies’ session…

All the best, Kate  :like
Candy Red ST1300

The following users thanked this post: StinkyPete, Jdbiker

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »
Actually it was PitSTop who suggested last year that some appropriate ladies activities would a good idea.
She has no interest in bikes. She also is not a shopper and doesn't like chocolate ( Lucky Me  :thumb )

She loves to pillion as its about the only way we get to spend time together due to our separate work commitments. But this time is very limited by rotating rosters :well

It was a conversation about encouraging all Lady riders and pillions to participate more in OzSToc activities.
I agreed that if there were other activities she may be encouraged to come along to more OzSToc events  :clap

Pete as National Ride Co-ordinator was trying to facilitate discussion on what the Ladies would see as suitable activities to cater for ALL the Ladies in OzSToc and not just those who ride.

Lets get the conversation back on track re including all the Ladies and not dividing them into groups  8) or have them feeling left out :wink1

Lets here from you Ladies so us Lads can help OzSToc attract more ladies  :thumbs
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 06:17:08 PM »
And there are some blokes who wouldn't mind an alternative to hardcore bike activities at the ends of a long ride too.

Kudos to StinkyPete for the intent, even if a little clumsily put originally.

It is always hard when catering to a large group, to find activities that please everyone.

Pete, might I suggest modifying the topic heading to reflect the intent?

Cheers

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:32:07 PM by Gadget »
Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 06:18:13 PM »
Some local activities that we can all enjoy occurring around the time of NR2017.

Clock Tower Gallery, Grafton NSW

Bentleg Market & Gallery, Grafton NSW

Make it, Bake it or Grow it Produce Market, Grafton NSW

The Village Marketplace (under cover), Glenreagh NSW

Clarence Valley Country Muster (late Oct/early Nov), Calliope NSW

Jacarandah Festival (late Oct/early Nov), Grafton NSW
Candy Red ST1300

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 06:59:09 PM »
 :think1 PitSTop just noted that at the 2016 Nat Rally that the boys attended 3 x sponsor stalls i.e Honda, Shannons Insurance & the Sena comms lads; while 90% of the ladies sat around at the nearby tables.
It was her thinking that a couple of lady rider and pillion related sponsor stalls could be added for NR 2017 i.e Biker Chic clothing, Other brands ladies riding gear etc.
She wasn't asking for hour long massages, pedicures etc, more like 5min tune up sessions after a long ride :wink1
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:49:40 PM by Sicman »
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 08:01:07 PM »
++

Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 08:05:09 PM »
It was her thinking that a couple of lady rider and pillion related sponsor stalls could be added for NR 2017 i.e Biker Chic clothing, Other brands ladies riding gear etc.

Yep, I can see Missus Biggles heading for that stall.    :fp
She's definitely got a dominant shopping gene.  I have the on-line bike gear/bike book variant of that gene.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Sicman, Jdbiker

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 08:27:06 PM »
And there are some blokes who wouldn't mind hardcore bike activities at the ends of a long ride too.

Kudos to StinkyPete for the intent, even if a little clumsily put originally.

It is always hard when catering to a large group, to find activities that please everyone.

Pete, might I suggest modifying the topic heading to reflect the intent?

Cheers

What would like the heading to be then gadget ??
 or,
What would the ladies like the heading to be???

Great to see a discussion like this happening earlier, to allow for planning.

But, you can only please some of the people some of the times.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:30:53 PM by Abe »
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 08:30:06 PM »
"National Rallies - Suggested other activities for pillions and weary riders" :grin
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:42:18 PM by Gadget »
Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140