Author Topic: Ride to Whyalla, SA  (Read 9667 times)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Ride to Whyalla, SA
« on: January 03, 2012, 02:23:32 AM »
Looks like we'll be on the road again in the next day or two, probably Thursday.

My daughter lives in Whyalla and my partners aunty who lives in Hawker (SA) will also be in Whyalla so we are going over to kill to birds with one stone.

From my home in Peterborough (SA) thats about 210kms and with a couple drink stops that should be about 3 hours

Good thing about this trip is this

https://youtu.be/EVaI7IiwoOg. Horrocks Pass.

Anybody heading the direct route from Perth to Sydney or the other way has to go through here. This was taken in an 18 wheeler.

:bl11
Alan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:37:17 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
Re: Ride to Whyalla, SA
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 02:29:43 AM »
Gee you dont want to be behind him thats a long double line
Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

:blu13

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:38:30 AM »
That was the best video I could find. Anyway speed limit is 80kph, the same for most hills roads in SA.

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »
Evenin' Alan et al...

Just for the heck of it might I suggest as you have to go through 'Portagutta'...just as you exit Horricks Pass and just pass the look out on your left, there is a road off to your right, the old Willmington / McConnal road that comes out at Sterling North.

Be interested to hear your report on this bit of road...I road it in May 2010 on my 1100 and though it OK :wink1...my octogenarian traveling companion on his 650 Burgman didn't share my sanguinity...and attempted to exercised his disgust the next morning by getting outta bed at 0350, turning on the motel room light with the remark of "gotta clean my scoota"...only to discover what he thought was daylight was in fact a outside light...sod still didn't make me a cuppa :'(

Mind you, this pessimistic view point of my choice of road selection is shared by others I know and who I've recommended roads like from Brocklehurst to the Mendooran pub which like the old Willmington road, I don't mind :p...or the Turntable Creek road from Nimbin to The Channon, which a certain muso on this forum site would prefer to detour around :(

...So Alan, your mission, if you choose to do so, is write up a ride report on the old Wilmington road :), feel free to involve the pillion opinion ::)

Ciao, the can :)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Evenin' Alan et al...

Just for the heck of it might I suggest as you have to go through 'Portagutta'...just as you exit Horricks Pass and just pass the look out on your left, there is a road off to your right, the old Willmington / McConnal road that comes out at Sterling North.

Be interested to hear your report on this bit of road...I road it in May 2010 on my 1100 and though it OK :wink1...my octogenarian traveling companion on his 650 Burgman didn't share my sanguinity...and attempted to exercised his disgust the next morning by getting outta bed at 0350, turning on the motel room light with the remark of "gotta clean my scoota"...only to discover what he thought was daylight was in fact a outside light...sod still didn't make me a cuppa :'(

Mind you, this pessimistic view point of my choice of road selection is shared by others I know and who I've recommended roads like from Brocklehurst to the Mendooran pub which like the old Willmington road, I don't mind :p...or the Turntable Creek road from Nimbin to The Channon, which a certain muso on this forum site would prefer to detour around :(

...So Alan, your mission, if you choose to do so, is write up a ride report on the old Wilmington road :), feel free to involve the pillion opinion ::)

Ciao, the can :)

The old road that you speak of is still open but due to the Horrocks Pass road being closed because of a bush fire. We had to detour at Wilmington and run up to Quorn and go through Pichi Richi Pass. I found this video of a couple of  bikes going the way we went through the pass'. Even with the detour and extra k's involved we still did the trip 3 hours.

https://youtu.be/sBvaRrXttNM

The old stirling north to Wilmington road is a single lane sealed road that was once the major highway. It was still in use until a new road was built about 40 years ago. I've driven this road a few times in the car and the bike. The last time I rode this I had my partner with me and the rear suspension bottomed out a couple times as the road never gets maintained anymore. By myself and with trailer attached I don't have a problem if I keep the speed down to about 80 and I go that way as it's shorter than going on the new road. Running two up and at state limit it's much quicker going the new road and that's the way I go if running two-up.

Speaking of old roads is the old number one highway out of Port Augusta. Instead of heading north at the lights after the bridge, turn left and follow the old road until it meets with the new road near Lincoln Gap. https://goo.gl/maps/bKnmYP74RVu This takes you past the army training base and detention centre. Not a road to use if running two up and in rush. Again, I use it if I'm on my own.

We arrived in Whyalla at 10.00 am and made for the aunties place. I had a dental appointment at 11:30 so I did that on my own. I spent the afternoon sleeping (toothache kept me awake for two nights) while Partner caught up with family.  Never did get to see the daughter.

At 5:30 it was time to head back home stopping at Port Augusta for KFC and more fuel for the bike. From there it was either run back up to Quorn or run down Highway one to either Port Germein or Port Pirie. I chose the first option and ran up Germein Gorge and cut across country back home.

https://youtu.be/TEKC6GyeKc8 Found this video as well.

I have to go back in two weeks time so I can have a wisdom tooth removed. Why dentist in Whyalla, couldn't find on open dentist closer to home on Tuesday after the new year weekend.

:bl11
Alan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:39:08 PM by alans1100 »