Author Topic: Iron butt SS1600k ride in tassie  (Read 9548 times)

Offline walton

• Glen Waverley, Victoria
    • My Spot
Iron butt SS1600k ride in tassie
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »
Here's a ride report i posted on the FarRiders site. Some of you may or may not recognise the names or little stabs at people. I just cut and pasted for you guys to have a read.

You’ll have to excuse the length but once I started I just rambled on for a while.

It all started way back when zedpilot had a crack at his SS1600k around this time last year with success on his second attempt. I remember thinking to myself that this is not just 1000km with a 600km ride tacked on the end. This must be somewhat of a real challenge! I’ve always wanted to do a lap around the island. So 12 months later I have become a FarRider and now have two FarRides next to my name. But there was another number I really wanted, SS2000k. So i set out to get it.

So over the last few months, google maps has had quite a workout. Trying to work out how to do 2000km in tassie is no easy feat. I eventually settled on a 1600 with a quick 400km out and back if time allowed it.

I finally found a day when good weather and days off work played ball at the same time. Cool weather, good moonlight, little rain and no wind. A bit of help from Zedpilot and Fattymick and I was ready to rock and roll!

So out of bed and on the bike after a good 8 hours sleep and begin the 20km trip to Smithton for my first docket. I had no idea what the temperature was as my ambient temp gauge is solar powered. (yeah I know, I blame impulse ebay buying) I fill the tank to the brim, reset the trip meter and away I go! (yeah yeah get on with it John.)

5 km down the road towards Burnie, I glance down at the GPS to keep an eye on my average speed and realize I hadn't reset it! So I pull over to fix that and away we go again. The wildlife was minimal on the run to Burnie and the traffic was very light. A quick top up of fuel, a red bull and a sausage roll for breakfast.

On towards the next stop at derwent bridge, I'm traveling just behind Burnie with all of the traffic on their way to the mines for their shift change but they were all bearable as they were traveling on or just above the speed limit. So no time lost there. Just as I passed the waratah turn off there was a little sprinkle of rain. I expected this as the weather man predicted 0.25mm of rain on the west coast. On towards Tullah and the rain fell a little more and more. By the time I arrived at queenstown the road was very wet and I was mostly moist.

Now my favorite piece of road is this magical ribbon of blacktop from Queenstown to Derwent bridge but today being a bit damp, and knowing I had to keep an average speed. I decided to have a bit of a "play" anyway. I was certainly impressed at the amount of grip I had on the wet corners going up the 99 bends and again over Mount Arrowsmith. (1,000,000 bends) I arrived at Derwent bridge and peeled off my wet gloves and balaclava. Filled the tank once again, grabbed my docket (with the wrong time on it of course) and then wrestled my cold wet gear back on.

About 10km out of Derwent bridge the rain stopped and the sun came out. Slowly I dried out as I headed towards Hobart. Still there was very little traffic on the road until I found New Norfolk. I decided to take the south side of the Derwent river purely for average speed but I didn't account for the roadworks with a 40 kph speed limit for what felt like 400km.

I had the best run I've ever had along the brooker highway and over the Tasman bridge with no red lights. Then again, it was 10:40 in the morning so it wasn’t peak hour.

Around the Midway point area with 500km covered in 6 hours and 7 minutes. Poop! 7 minutes behind schedule for the 2000km. Not too bad thinking I'd make that up on the 110kph roads later in the day.
I pulled into the BP servo at Sorell for a quick splash of fuel and headed north towards St Helens.

There was plenty of slow traveling tourists with boats and caravans. I also suspect it was pension day because of the great amount of over cautious grey haired people. For the most part this road offers great riding but very few overtaking opportunities. So there was a little more time lost there which slowed the average speed slightly.
Onwards to Bicheno and I was feeling fine but a little sore. (Bar risers and a new seat are now on the shopping list.) I was scanning both sides of the road looking for Fattymick because he told me the day before that he would be there for lunch around this time. I couldn't see him anywhere so I pulled into a side street for a quick stretch and a photo.

Onwards to St Helen's following a guy in a 4wd travelling a fraction over the speed limit. I just followed him along the coast to the turn off at Falmouth.
The trip from here to St Helen's is a jungle of 80 60 and short 100kph zones and if I do this again I will not include this in my plan. I pull into the BP at St Helens and fill the tank. I go in for a leak, get another sausage roll, a few small bottles of water and a docket. Doing some Maths, I realize that I'm about 20 minutes behind schedule for the 2000km. No way can it be done from here. I've had too many stops and taken too long at them. So now a flip helmet was added to the shopping list.

A quick look at my phone I noticed a missed call from Fattymick. I called him back and he was just wondering how I was getting on. I let him know I was behind time but well in front to complete 1600 km.

I jumped back on the bike and rode back through the speed zone jungle and up St Mary's pass.
I'd been looking forward to riding this pass since I was a kid and this was my 2nd attempt. The first time it was wet and very slippery so today was my day. I rounded the first four or five corners with some pace but not too far up the hill I found a car.... Following another 7 cars... Following a caravan! Bugger. With no overtaking opportunities I had to just sit and wait until the top of the hill. ( I'll get a good run one day).
I pulled over at St Mary's for my 6th docket and found I had nothing to buy! I had fuel, drinks and food. What more could I want? Oh well, a few more drinks won't hurt.

Now for the first of the straight long runs for the rest of the day. Oh well. It's what Tasmanians call straight. Ok? Good. The day was heating up very well indeed. I thought I'd picked a nice cool day so I wouldn't lose any time changing out of my thermals. The ambient temperature said 27 degrees and I was still in my thermals! Needless to say, I was rather toasty. I ride all the way to perth with the visor up and my neck stretched right out to get all the cool air i could.
I stopped at Perth to (you guessed it) get changed and I pulled up next to a very tidy looking triumph sprint ST. Having a quick chat with the owner he noticed the SPOT mounted on the handlebar. He asked if I was a FarRider. It turns out he was Darryl Mallinson of FarRider #310 fame. He wished me luck and I was on my way to Devonport thinking its amazing who you bump into when you're out and about. I watched him leave and after a quick stretch and i was on the road again.

I thought I'd see Mildthing standing on the side of the road in the rain at the Longford roundabout but it wasn't raining so I kept moving.

Getting towards Devonport I found myself doubting my plan with nearly 1000 km covered. You know. Have I over planned? Have I gone far enough? Am I going too far? It seems too far for 1600km do I have enough time? Can I even do it?
Now was the time to pull out and go home if I was going to.

I stopped in Devonport still doubting myself and filled the tank and had a quick drink. I pushed my bike out of the way of the after work fuel rush and sat down for a quick 15 minute rest in a pool of riding gear and starcom cables.
I grabbed out my iPhone and had a look at the spot tracker to see if it was working and the forum to see if anyone was watching. To my surprise I found heaps of support and well wishers. There and then I made a decision. I picked myself up out of all of my gear, plugged my phone into the starcom, cranked up some music and I was on the road again!

600 km to go and I was pumped. Getting along in the 110 zones and the average speed was coming back up to what I was really looking for to complete 2000km! I'd had too many stops so that was out of the question now. I turned off the bass hwy and south towards Campbell town and there was still no rain at Longford. On to the midland hwy and this is where owning a white bike really shines! You ride along at the speed limit... Catch a car... Car slows down.. You don't and ride right past! I love it! That, and not one blind idiot driver pulled out in front of me all day!

I stopped for a docket In Campbell town. While i was there i rang my wife for a chat and to let her know how I was going and my ETA for later that night. Then had a quick drink and back on the bike with 3 legs to go.

I was slowed a little by resealing works on the run to Brighton. Other than that it was a reasonably uneventful ride down the Midland.

I pulled in to the BP (can you guess my favorite fuel depot yet) at brighton with plenty of time up my sleeve and was just meant to be a quick splash of fuel and run home. I paid for my fuel and grabbed a quick bite to eat, (another sausage roll) strolled back to my bike and wrote down my Kms on my docket. As I was doing this, I noticed a white bike so close behind me I thought it was going to start humping my leg! I turned around and noticed a familiar looking zzr1100, ah, I know who these guys are! It was Reg (head mechanic) and Daisy the giant baby troll!

I think they only turned up to tell me how temperamental and unreliable Kawasakis are but I know they were really there to show their support. After a well needed rest and chat I was on my way back to Campbell town for my 2nd last docket. The weather was starting to freshen a little as I rode back through Bagdad but as I passed Oatlands it was cold. Real cold. However I pushed on until Campbell town again and stopped for my docket and quickly threw on all of my nice warm thermal gear.

After a quick drink I was back on the bike and bound for home. I was going over in my head where I had been today and what I was doing. Do we all really do this just for a number? For the glory? Conversation starter? We must all be mad! As you can probably tell I was beginning to feel the effects of a big ride by myself.

As I reached Perth and turned off the midland hwy I noticed the spot was flashing away merrily but it hadn't "sent" for quite some time. So I stopped AGAIN and searched all of my panniers, boxes, bags and pockets for the spare batteries that I had left at home. So I turned it off and back on again and hey presto! It worked, for a while. I thought I'd grab some batteries when I got to Burnie but I had to get there first.

Still there was no rain at Longford. Mildthing must work a long day.

I was really starting to feel a bit tired around the Elizabeth town area and was thinking of an excuse to stop for a 5 minute rest. About 3 minutes later the phone rang with a strange number. Wondering who in the world would be calling me at this time of day? That was my excuse to pull over. I called back the mystery caller and it turned out to be whinjahadaninja! She had been following my spot and noticed that it hadn't moved from conara and I was logged into the forum. In short, she was worried. (ohh, how sweet.) A 10 minute conversation about riding too many Kms and loud bikes in the dark helped wake me up a bit. She said "Ride safe, get home to bed and let me know when you get there" and I said "yes mum, catch you later."

I was now on the side of the road in the dark trying to find my earplugs, balaclava, and gloves. All of which are black. I got on the bike with all of my gear on and I was on my way again into the darkness.

The next hour past Latrobe, Devonport, ulverstone and Penguin, were agonizing. I was climbing all over the bike trying to stretch all of my muscles. My back was killing me, my wrists were so sore I tried to use the throttle with my left hand. If you've ever tried that, you won't do it again. If you're thinking about doing it on a future ride? Don't! It's um... Interesting.

I rolled into Burnie BP to buy some batteries for the spot and bought a red bull while I was there. Because I live on the stuff.

I rode out of the other side of Burnie and realized I hadn't stopped at a red light all day! Even riding though Hobart! How often does that happen?
Between Wynyard and Smithton I passed most of my work mates in their milk tankers and wished I had a UHF so I could chat to them all the way back to Smithton. So one of those is now on the shopping list as well.

As I rolled into the Smithton town boundary, I felt a sense of accomplishment, I had success! I had finished my challenge! Another tick for the "I've done that in my life" box! I stood up on the pegs and thought my legs were going to cave in. I got my balance together and raised my finger into the air and let out the biggest longest loudest WHOOO HOOO!!! You have ever heard. Like i had just won a moto gp! That moment right there, that's it! that's why we do it. To challenge ourselves to the limit and succeed. To accept, enjoy and complete a task set by our peers that only a minority of the world would/could ever bother with. I've been to places I've never been to before and witnessed more of the best views Tasmania has to offer than anyone else today. I've been helped and supported by people I hardly know and even people I don't know at all! It's those people that helped made this day happen and I thank you for that.

I grabbed my final docket at 00:50 1636km covered and let my wife know I'd be home in 20 minutes.

I jumped back on the bike and rode the last 20km home. Bathing in the glory of my own achievement. What a day!

Then, no more than 200 meters from home I spot the only wildlife I'd came across all day! Standing in the middle of the road was a fluffy little wallaby waiting to do some fairing damage. The little fella made an escape to the left with about 20 meters to spare and I made a quick lane change. I missed the little sucker and pulled into the driveway at home. Ah.... Home at long last.

I sat on the bike for a while before I jumped off with my wife watching me out of the window. I have her a nod to let her know I was ok and jumped off and walked inside to my loving wife handing me a hot cup of tea. We had a good de-brief for about an hour and finally... Not a moment too soon... Bedtime.

Would I do it again? Hell yeah! I started planning an SS2000k the next morning.
Would I change anything? Yep! I wouldn’t go to St Helens because that dents the average speed too much. I’d also like to finish that shopping list.

That’s it. Sorry about the length and I hope it all made sense. Thanks again to everyone, especially the tassie guys and girls for your help and support.

Now to get it certified.
1998 ST1100P
FarRider #440
Let's Ride!

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Iron butt SS1600k ride in tassie
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »
Good write up.

Any magazines you can send that to for publication
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline walton

• Glen Waverley, Victoria
    • My Spot
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »
No thanks. I'll pass on that one. It's only a ride report, not a column.
1998 ST1100P
FarRider #440
Let's Ride!

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:52:18 AM »
That, Walton, was an EPIC adventure.

Congrats on the SS1600. Great report too.

And great contingency when you found Plan A was at risk. I know what you mean about not being able to just sit on Freeways at 110km/h for hours on end in Tassie. An extra (but no doubt wonderful) challenge.

Well done that man. Now for that shiny new number.     :thumbsup

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »
Get the paperwork in, wait six months and enjoy the IBA number you'll get.