No Parking Zone! > Off Topic, Off Colour, and non-motorcycle related

I Just Wanted To Say... Ya Can't Hijack This!! :-))

(1/170) > >>

Biggles:
This might become a "pinned" thread.

I'm proposing it for anyone to write anything they want that doesn't warrant a topic/ thread all of its own.
Some posts will be replies, but it doesn't matter what trend the topic takes, because THERE ISN'T ONE  :grin

The idea came to me when I was riding home thinking about what happened to me on my Newcastle overnighter.

I arrived there at 4:00 PM and thought I remembered where my motel was.  It was a very windy day yesterday (was again today!) and I rode along Zaara Street towards the Esplanade.  About 20 metres from the corner I encountered wind so strong that it threated to blow the bike over.  I stopped and put both feet down and tried to walk the bike backwards.  The wind was being funnelled into the street between the buildings and every time I took the weight off a foot the wind would gust from the opposite direction and threaten to blow us both over.  Thankfully, three blokes helped me turn it around and I was able to escape.

These 300+ kg bikes are a handful at the best of times, but when they want to act as a sail, they are impossible to manage.

Biggles:
On my way home up the Pacific Highway today I say two wrecks, both involving a semi-trailer and a car.  The first was a fatal involving a B-Double that was completely off the road cabin-first into a tree.  There were two heavy-lift mobile cranes on site, and thankfully only one lane was closed so traffic was moving.  The second one was an 18 wheeler off at 45o into the ditch with a car parallel to it in the canefield.

Gotta feel sorry for truck drivers, as I'm sure a lot of the time it is the car driver who caused the prang- like the family of 4 killed up north QLD in the head-on with a truck while overtaking a semi.

Biggles:
To keep the thread variable...

How the heck do LD riders get snacks into the mouth?  I have a Shoei helmet and I can barely push a peanut into my mouth while standing beside the bike, let alone doing 100 kays down the road.  This is predicated, of course, upon wearing a full face helmet.  Save your electrons and don't tell me you wear a flip-up or open-faced jobby.

That may well be the easy part.  I still don't have a system for picking up a Menthos from anywhere to try and feed myself.  Do you use a tankbag?  A joey pouch (for those who fraternise with Roos)?  A bike side pocket?

alans1100:

--- Quote from: Biggles on August 12, 2012, 10:14:24 PM ---To keep the thread variable...

How the heck do LD riders get snacks into the mouth?  I have a Shoei helmet and I can barely push a peanut into my mouth while standing beside the bike, let alone doing 100 kays down the road.  This is predicated, of course, upon wearing a full face helmet.  Save your electrons and don't tell me you wear a flip-up or open-faced jobby.

That may well be the easy part.  I still don't have a system for picking up a Menthos from anywhere to try and feed myself.  Do you use a tankbag?  A joey pouch (for those who fraternise with Roos)?  A bike side pocket?

--- End quote ---

If I remember to get those bags of glucose or barley sugar lollies I'll put some in the LH pocket (1100). I don't have a problem slipping my fingers between the raised visor and helmet to put lolly into mouth. I also push helmet down a little as I do so.

Same for breath test, just enough room if I push helmet down a little.

When Heather is with me she'll have some in her pocket and if I want one it will get handed to me so I can see it.

alans1100:

--- Quote from: Biggles on August 12, 2012, 10:04:54 PM ---
These 300+ kg bikes are a handful at the best of times, but when they want to act as a sail, they are impossible to manage.

--- End quote ---

I had a triple road train push my bike over one day.

On the way back home from a river where I use go for a swim I had to enter the main highway from a dirt track.  It also meant going up a 30 degree slope before getting to the tar which if all was ok if I didn't need to stop for any traffic.  One time I had to stop to let the road train go before I could go.  One or two trailers would have been fine but the third trailer added more air pressure into the mix and pushed the bike over. No way could I stop it from falling but I tried to lessen the impact by keeping hold of the bike. Had there been a lane width between the bike and road train it may have been a non issue and so it's a live and lean learn thing. Two guys in a small 4x4 saw the bike and me so they stopped and help get it back on its feet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version