Honda ST1300 Section > Plastic, Fairings, Panniers and Top Box's 1300

How to Fix Top Box Lid Stays

<< < (3/4) > >>

ST2UP:

--- Quote from: A2Z on June 03, 2016, 10:18:03 AM ---Another problem I have with this is that the threads on the box where you screw it into are stripped. Any fix for this?

--- End quote ---

Larger diameter screw (BUT NOT LONGER).....

Fill screw hole with supa glue or similar and re-drill after its set  :think1

:beer

Biggles:

--- Quote from: ST2UP on June 03, 2016, 11:42:07 AM ---
Larger diameter screw (BUT NOT LONGER).....

Fill screw hole with supa glue or similar and re-drill after its set  :think1

--- End quote ---

Not superglue.  It basically has no gap-filling capacity.  JB-Weld or other hard-setting epoxy is the go.  I like Kneadit- behaves like putty and sets like rock and can be drilled and tapped.  Comes in white for wood or black for metal.

ruSTynutz:
I decided to make some "stays" for my top box as the originals were missing when I bought my ST...

I ended up buying a length of 3.6mm bead chain. Luckily it came with 4 loop ends which worked out perfect!

The chain is rated at 6kg working load so I figured that should be fine considering the top box lid doesn't weigh much.
I then got some 4mm flexible tubing to slide over the chain so the balls don't catch on anything and to also "encourage" the stays to fold inside the top box when closing...

I just used a few washers & a nut to "pack" the mounts so the screws didn't pop through where they shouldn't.

It all works perfectly!  :thumbsup

Now, if I can source some replacement "loop ends" I just might have to knock out a few more as I have a stack of chain & tubing left over... :whistle

Biggles:
That's a very elegant fix.  I'm sure there would be plenty of people on the forum who would gladly pay bux for a pair if you can source "loop ends".
The joiners they sell for the chains that operate blinds may do the trick.  You could check suppliers because I know they sell the bits apart from the blinds.

ruSTynutz:
Thanks Biggles!  :thumbs
I managed to source some off ebay last night so I ended up ordering 4 packs which will be enough to make up four sets...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version