Honda ST1100 Section > Tyres...to suit your ST1100

Darkside on the horizon.

(1/6) > >>

Piet:
 I have a GL1500 rim on it way.  Tyre 175/75-16 tyre tomorrow so Darkside is definitely on my horizon.  Still a bit of machining to organise but it doesn't look to difficult. Updates to follow.

Shiney:
 :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

Piet:
Picked up the Austone (Comes from Australia #one) 175/75R16 this morning.  Looks good, it has an 8 ply rating but actually has on the tread 2 plys of polyester 2 plys of steel and a single ply of Nylon, and 2 ply polyester on the side walls. 
The speed rating is Q so to a max of 99 MPH or 160 kph.
The load rating is 101 so 825 kgs.

The trye tread pattern is called CSR71  http://austonetire.com/products-view.aspx?id=116

I paid $100.00. I also purchased a week prior a Michelin Commander II (cruzer tyre) 160/70-17 standard tyre for $239.00 and that was cheap because most wanted to charge $269.00
Interestingly having two brand new tyres to compare I measured the thread depth of both.  The Michelin has a 6.6 mm depth and the Austone has an 8.6 mm depth so a 30% increase on the Michelin.

I have not yet mounted the Austone on a rim, but if my understanding is correct, it will stand 13mm taller, 15mm wider and drop wheel revs per distance travelled by 2%.
Speedo being front wheel on the ST11, it will still read correctly and engine revs lowered a tad for a given road speed.

Of course I will be tracking milage carefully and reporting on handling, just remember I  am more a tourer than peg scraper.

StinkyPete:
I had a mate who went to the darkside with his Suzuki Boulevard M109.   It took a fair bit of experimentation with tyre pressures to find something that worked, and he eventually settled on 26psi.    Higher that that, if you think of the flat on the bottom of the car tyre, the tyre is trying to lift the bike as it corners, thus strongly resisting the turn.   With the lower pressure, some sidewall distortion occurs and handling is reasonable.

Piet:
From all my reading and research, I think you are spot on. I will start at 26psi and be prepared adjust as necessary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version