Author Topic: Clutch issues and Braidied Clutch lines  (Read 1772 times)

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
Clutch issues and Braidied Clutch lines
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:24:45 PM »
Hello All,

I while ago I seem to recall reading that someone on this site could make or knew someone who could make braided clutch hoses to suit an ST1300.  If you are that person or know that person could you please contact me. I would like to buy a set because I have a clutch overhaul project coming up and I might as well change them while I am at it.

My slave cylinder appears to have shat itself judging by the empty master cylinder and the crud all over the back of the engine. It was between the two lines when I left on a recent two day trip. By the end of the trip it was empty.

I can't afford to pull the engine out as my manual says to do  so I am hoping the advice a couple of guys on various sites saying it is possible to do it without engine removal is correct.

In the vain hope that it is a loose banjo I will check all the fittings before hand but I will lay odds on that it is the cylinder. I always have to learn the hard way.

Any tips will be appreciated.

I will take the plastics , the oil filter and cooler , the mufflers and the rear wheel off to afford me the best visibility and access. I am thinking that visibility will be an issue so I will use a natty little  USB camera with LED illumination to see what I am doing.

I am not averse to modifying or making special tools to suit a job so if there are any suggestions there I would appreciate it. The only tool hint I have garnered thus far is to have wobbly socket extensions so I have ordered a set off ebay.

I am thinking  one of the tricks will be holding the piston in against the spring while manipulating the rebuilt cylinder into place. I will use one of my dear old Dads tricks and hold the piston in with cable ties which you then cut once the cylinder is in position.

Hopefully I will be able to prove conclusively that it is possible to change the slave cylinder on an ST1300 with out removing the engine. If not there could be a cheap ST 1300 for sale minus a clutch!

Take care,
Todd

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Re: Clutch issues and Braidied Clutch lines
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:07:25 AM »
Todd I think it is Steveo, or it's his son.

And if memory is right they are certified for road use.  :think1

At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
Re: Clutch issues and Braidied Clutch lines
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
Todd I think it is Steveo, or it's his son.

And if memory is right they are certified for road use.  :think1

Thanks Abe