Author Topic: NEW POLL - Barry Sheene Ride  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
NEW POLL - Barry Sheene Ride
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »
That's right punters - want to be a part of this fantastic 1000+ motorcycle ride to 'the Island' under the OzSTOC banner?

Expressions of interest are sought to see if I should invest some time looking in to this great event for the most electric Forum on the planet - OzSTOC.com!!!

I guess it would be a 'join it from your neck of the woods' type set up, and obviously end at Philip Island to see STo(w)ner wrap up another World C'ship.

Sounds like a hoot of a time to me - soooooo - if enough members want it - we'll look into some beneficial arrangements for OzSTOC Members to make this happen.

I don't know when, where or how yet - but expressions of interest are invited to see if further investigation is warranted - (probs for 2013).

Here is a link to the current ride, and a wrap up of last year's...

http://www.motogp.com.au/event/off-track/barry-sheene-tribute-ride

Vote away Villains....

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:49:25 PM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
Re: NEW POLL - Barry Sheene Ride
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:57:26 PM »
First vote!  I haven't managed to organise getting down to PI but have not as many excuses now.  Last time I went I flew in, and watched Mighty Mic win yet again by a long way.  I should try and get there this year..someone remind me beforehand...
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »
I have an annual October event.  One year I'll have to skip it an do P.I. instead (or squeeze in both!).  For me this year it's Tassie.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Sim

• A ride you say? LeST go!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »
Its looking like a great event to attend - even more so now with the announcement by Casey Stoner to retire! A swansong - to herald a great Aussie champ!  :-++
CBR1100XX
ST1300A '05 (sold)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
Wise move- get out while you're on top and unhurt!!  Here's the announcement:

=======================================================================
Twice world motorcycling champion Casey Stoner stunned the sport on Thursday by announcing he will quit at the end of the season for "family reasons".

The 26-year-old Australian, who has won 35 MotoGP races in his career and leads the current standings after winning two of the season's three events, made his announcement at a news conference ahead of Sunday's French Grand Prix.

"After a long period of thought and numerous discussions with my wife and family, I have decided to stop competing at the end of the season," said Honda's defending champion.

"After so many years taking part in this sport that I love, and with all the sacrifices that I have had to make, I no longer have the passion to continue and I think that it is best to stop."

Stoner, who also won the world title in 2007 with Ducati, became a father for the first time in February when his wife Adrianna gave birth to a baby daughter.

At the time he shrugged off suggestions that fatherhood would dampen his love of motorcycling.

"They say you slow down when you get married, but in my first year of marriage I won the title," said Stoner on the eve of the season.

"When I found out we were having a baby, I won it a second time. I don't think that's the case (that you slow down)."

Despite his blistering start to the season, Stoner has been critical of a series of technical changes to the sport that he claimed were undermining the championship.

This year's MotoGP bikes are 1000cc as opposed to the 800cc of old, while manufacturers such as Kawasaki and Suzuki no longer field factory teams, leaving just Honda, Ducati and Yamaha with official squads.

He has also been battling cramps in his arms that prove particularly painful under braking. Those problems came to the fore in the season-opener in Qatar, where he finished third before going on to secure wins in Spain and Portugal.

Stoner joined the elite MotoGP class in 2006 with a satellite Honda team after working his way through the 125cc and 250cc ranks following his debut as a 125cc wildcard at Donington, England, in 2001.

His switch to Ducati in 2007 proved an inspired decision as he won the MotoGP season-opener in Qatar, followed by nine more victories that propelled him to the world title.

He moved to the factory Honda team last year and clinched his second title on home ground at Phillip Island, having already won nine races. Stoner closed the season with a 10th victory in Valencia.

Nine-time world champion Valentino Rossi, one of Stoner's great rivals, said he was shocked by the Australian's decision.

"It's a huge surprise to me as it is for everyone else," said the Italian. "It's bad news for the world of MotoGP.

"At the end of the season, we are going to lose a great rider and a great rival, but it's his decision."

================================================================================
Casey Stoner to retire after MotoGP season
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:01:40 AM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »
Ha! Two weeks ago he shunned the rumour that he may retire!

"Don't believe any of these rumours until you hear it from my mouth!" he exclaimed.

Big loss for us Aussies who now have to look a lot further down the grid to find our next hero!

FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au