Author Topic: Where do YOU see OzSTOC in the future.  (Read 43114 times)

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
Re: Where do YOU see OzSTOC in the future.
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »
 :thumbsup:clap:-++:beer
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2015, 09:38:38 AM »
Where do I see OzSTOC in the future, it is a tough and varied question....

For me it is a little personal from being so involved with building it to where it is now, and seeing the growth, the friendships, the people and the positivity that has evolved with everything.

in marketing I have been taught and always held the premise that you must always be seeking to improve, that if you sit in one spot you will slowly shrink and become nothing.

it is something that diesel and I joked about, that it was he and I in esk talking about building this, and one day it might just be Diesel and I sitting in esk saying "it was a great run"

I think there is many more ST riders to be found, and that natural progression will see many ST riders buy something else, but still stay involved with the Club.

and that is our future, I believe that we should continue the way we are, but also working hard to keep things fresh, and looking to be unique like we have always been, that will be there true reflection on our survival.

even if I bought another bike, the ozstoc shirt is always the first one I pull out of a draw, and I wear my badge covered cap everywhere.

viva la OzSTOC

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline ddgomes

• ST Legend
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2015, 01:44:01 AM »
Gents,

Being from the other side of the planet and less than participative on this forum, and as I’m a member, as well, form my national Pan European club where we have the same “problem” I would dare to say (if I’m permitted to do so) to keep the ST Club, but opened to other machines. Why? Well because a motorcycle club begins because of the machines but rapidly turns to be a friend’s club who, in some point in time, move to another machine but keep the friendship…
Pan European is the genesis of the Club. Don’t lose it …

Just my 2 cents from de other side of the globe ….

Cheers,

Daniel Gomes
Lisbon, Portugal

:slvr13

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2015, 02:09:51 AM »
When I bought my ex police ST1100, I wanted to join a club where I could meet similar fellow riders who shared the same love of the motorcycle.  If I wanted to join a Sports Touring club I would have joined the local Ulysses chapter or similar.
Long live OZSTOC and the love of all things ST1100 and ST1300, you guys do a great job keep things the way they are.

:wht11

Offline sakss69

• Movin to Cruisin
  • The Raven 2
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2015, 02:54:08 AM »
As much as I can see the reasoning behind opening up to other models and makes of bikes, the club is as much a forum for ST's and the characters of the bikes and their owners.   Any and every other riders are welcome to join in on activites, the club should remain faithful to its origins.   The ST will be around for a long time yet.

Offline mikep

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2015, 06:22:03 AM »
i joined this forum because i got a ST1100. If i had gotten a bmw i'd have joined some other forum. I'm not very active in the club, i live in an area where there're no close-by members so casual get-togethers for  rides is not readily do-able. RTE's are the same. I've only managed one national rally and one rte in the time i've been a member. I'm not knowledgeable about the ST technicals either so i am also more a reader than a poster in the forums, but  i do enjoy the good natured style of the club/forum, I am interested in reading/seeing the various farkles the innovatives come up with and the techie advice, which was the thing that first led me to this forum. So, since other bikes are accepted, and changing bikes does not mean exclusion from the club, I say let natural evolution take it's course, and when enough members become ex st owners maybe there will be enough commonality in the 'new' bikes to expand the make/model specific content beyond the st1100/1300. In the meantime there's still a lot of life for st's - mine has done only 42,000km for example, and i'd guess there are many other bikes with 'low' mileage esp given the reliability of the ST, and i would expect to see this forum still very much around ten years from now. So, IMHO the club should stay as it is, friendly, tolerant and ST focused. :thumbsup
mike
1997 green ST1100 ABS
previously owned;
Honda CBX1000
BSA 650 Lightning

Offline Radar

• ST Legend - Coonabarabran
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2015, 07:17:11 AM »
I think the more young ones that realise how great the ST range was the more call there will be for the expertise and knowledge held by members on this site. I for one use this site/forums to learn and solve ST issues. I would not want to sift through heaps of other stuff to try and locate ST advice. Just sayin 😃

Mal
Mal
1995 st1100

Offline Sim

• A ride you say? LeST go!
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2015, 07:26:37 AM »
Hi - i find the 'focused advice' available, as well as the 'people' that the Honda (ST) brand attracts is what makes this club. And the friendly advice. If it became a Sports Touring club, i fear the club would lose its ethos - and attract a different clientele. (may not necessarily be a bad thing, mind you?) . But this club occupies a specific 'niche' in society which seems sustainable (look at the member numbers and activity on the web site).

Its not broke and doesn't need opening up/change! In time Honda will realise this and bring out an ST1400!

CBR1100XX
ST1300A '05 (sold)

Offline Les Pearce

• Red 2003 ST 1300
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2015, 07:31:41 AM »
Only being reasonably new to this club, I can only give my thoughts as a newbie.

It would be my preference like others to keep this club specifically for the ST which is what makes this special.  It's an amazing bike and those that ride them are great people.

I completely understand the thought process to allow other Sports Tourers to join and the value (financial) that it may bring, but I believe this is going away from why this was initially set up.

There would be nothing wrong in having set days for other Sport Tourer models to join in on rides or functions but the club itself should remain loyal to the ST and the reasons it was formed.

For all those unsung people behind the scenes who makes all this happen...Thank you.

:13Candy

Les

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2015, 07:40:51 AM »
I voted for things to remain the same as soon as I read the poll options.

I, like I think most people, joined this forum because I owned an ST (still do and the plan is to do so while I can still ride it).
If I ever sell the ST, I, like lots of people have, will stay because of the fellowship of like minded people.

STs will be around for a long long time.
As they age and change hands there will always be a core active OzSTOC membership.
If it an't broke don't fix it, unless of cause you want to Farkle it.

Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline harieg

• Harie G
  • Legendary Member
  • ausSTie Brendale Qld.
    • www.aomm.net.au
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »
the rsl went through this issue many years ago, so did the bowling clubs, (((opening membership to social members, bare foot bowls etc..)), bought on by declining MEMBERSHIP, having to combine 2 or 3 of the smaller clubs, in their particular industry and user's groups to remain viable, 
i believe the ONLY WAY forward, and to ensure a very LONG life to our group,  is to include all the other brands. and make us a truly national and international OzSTOC
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:53:10 AM by harieg »
ST1100 A Gold  1999 50 year anniversary OzSToc #169
ST1100 P Black 1996                            STOC #8037 verified
ST1300, Blue, 2004
CBR XX Super Blackbird 2006

Offline Sandman

• Back after a long break
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2015, 08:16:40 AM »
Here is my 2 bobs worth.
I voted for the club to extend its offering to other Sports Touring manufacturers.
I lucked out as my first bike after 30 years just happened to be a ST1100 and I stumbled on the club as a result. If I was to sell and buy another ST (probably an Yammy) then I would be excluded. It would be disappointing but I would just drift off and find others who are in a similar situation.
OzStoc members needs to be careful to think they are elitist. There are plenty of forums and clubs to get information on different aspects of the biking world.

On a separate (but related topic) I joined a Ulysses group (Gold Coast) because they ride mid week, every week, plus Thursday and Sundays, whereas the others ride once a month. I ride mid week when I'm in the country (work OS). I also ride with a few mates on Mondays around the Tweed.
I would love to be able to include (or be included) with other OzStoc members in the Tweed rides. I know there is a RTE section but I wonder if this could be refined geographically so people who are in an area can connect.
BTW, another reason to open up the manufactures to al ST groups as you will get more participants. Just saying :bl11

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »
I think I agree most of the comments already posted, I have no objections to rides of non-Honda ST's coming along on events we organize but I really like having a dedicated forum to come to when I need some help with something on my ST1100 and I think if we open the site up to a lot more bike types the ST Ownership is going to get lost in a whole lot of trees in a forest.

I haven't met a lot of you, but the ones I have consider my friends and would like to think that if I ever did move away from the ST that I would like to be part of any rides out.  I guess it is a catch 22 situation.

I think if the decision is to allow for other bikes types to the site that the main focus should remain with the ST's and try to keep discussions about maintenance to those bikes separate.

J

Offline kezaloz

• ST Legend
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2015, 08:42:40 AM »
Im voting for option 1, im also a member of the Ulysees club , they have the ethos of accepting everyone and their bike equally.. unfortunately there is a culture of "my bike is much better than yours" therefore i dont participate in any Ulysees forum or discussions... i would hate to see ozSToc lost to smart arses and know it alls who just know better than any one else.....im not interested in how many computors, how good the cruise control, heated seat, stereo, or engine mapping is on another brand... compared to my ST......

eventually the ST will become a collectors bike, lets keep it exclusive......... having said all that.... i welcome anyone on a bike to ride, join, participate in ozSToc if they have an interest in fair play, having fun or good old ST Honda.... just leave your smart ar$e bull at the door.....

2 cents into the tea fund...

Alan
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:28:13 PM by ST2UP »
'08 ST 1300A, gunmetal grey, soooo much fun !!!
Ulysses #58303 :blk11

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2015, 08:54:59 AM »
I took the quote below, from here (where all the pretty pictures are) www.ozstoc.com.au/index.php/en/

Welcome to the Australian ST Honda Owners Group

The aim of OzSTOC is to provide a home and forum where owners (and prospective owners) of the Honda ST1100 & Honda ST1300 can find and share information about this great motorcycle.

Membership is free and, although primarily aimed towards owners living in Australia, is available to any owner worldwide.

We have regular get togethers across Australia. Everyone and anyone is Welcome!

In my observations the aim of OzSTOC has not changed and personally I would like to think that it will not. 

Some years ago I was asked my opinion on how I saw OzSTOC going compared to other groups that I was a member of and if OzSTOC needed a bit of a change in direction.  My answer then and is now, that I see OzSTOC as a bit of a special club, it has brought riders from different backgrounds and given them commonality, a sense of belonging to a special group of riders. The direction OzSTOC was going maintained its aims and I still see it maintaining those aims.

Will we loose some members over the years? probably, will we gain some members over the years? probably. 

Who knows what the future will bring, maybe Honda will bring out a new ST.

Unless our aim has changed, please allow us to continue in our current direction.

IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2015, 08:58:55 AM »
Sounds like the people have spoken... and spoken well

Offline Barry and Marissa

• ST Legend
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2015, 09:27:05 AM »
Just wanted to add the following comment after reading a few others. As many of you know I tend to change bikes on a fairly regular basis just to try something different. I've owned 3 ST's Honda's. I started out on and ST1100, and have owned 2 St1300's. In between those bikes I've also owned 2 x BMW K1200LT's, and a GL1800 Goldwing. I joined the BMW forum when I had the beamers but had very little to do with it.

I have always stayed with Ozstoc because that's where most of my riding friends are too.   :thumb The fact I change bikes doesn't mean I change my friends, and I have always found I was welcome at an Ozstoc event regardless of what bike I rode at the time. One could never seriously say that our club has ever been elitist in that sense.  :p

I think the fact that I was awarded member of the year at the very first Ozstoc National rally, and I was riding a BMW at the time, pretty much sums up the ethos of Ozstoc, and that's what makes it a great club. It's the ST Honda's that brought us all together and so long as that tradition continues, I think the club has a bright future even if numbers drop off a little down the track.

I wouldn't like to see the club become a general "sport tourers" club as I think it would loose it's heritage over time, and it opens the door to the "mine's better than yours" kind of arguments that inevitably happen. As it stands now all the members currently LOVE their ST Honda's, or have at least loved one in the past.  And that makes all the difference I think?   :grin         
Barry and Marissa :) :)

Barry 2012 VFR800 Red.
Marissa 2011 VFR800 Red.

Offline SToz

• Every day above ground is a good one!
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2015, 09:28:58 AM »
Stay "as is".

If you want to be an FJR FarRider or any other rider, there's a website for that!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:31:27 PM by ST2UP »
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

SToz (Rick)
'04 ST1300A
IBA# 38032..... SS1600K  SS2000K  BB2500K

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »
Just wanted to add the following comment after reading a few others. As many of you know I tend to change bikes on a fairly regular basis just to try something different. I've owned 3 ST's Honda's. I started out on and ST1100, and have owned 2 St1300's. In between those bikes I've also owned 2 x BMW K1200LT's, and a GL1800 Goldwing. I joined the BMW forum when I had the beamers but had very little to do with it.

I have always stayed with Ozstoc because that's where most of my riding friends are too.   :thumb The fact I change bikes doesn't mean I change my friends, and I have always found I was welcome at an Ozstoc event regardless of what bike I rode at the time. One could never seriously say that our club has ever been elitist in that sense.  :p

I think the fact that I was awarded member of the year at the very first Ozstoc National rally, and I was riding a BMW at the time, pretty much sums up the ethos of Ozstoc, and that's what makes it a great club. It's the ST Honda's that brought us all together and so long as that tradition continues, I think the club has a bright future even if numbers drop off a little down the track.

I wouldn't like to see the club become a general "sport tourers" club as I think it would loose it's heritage over time, and it opens the door to the "mine's better than yours" kind of arguments that inevitably happen. As it stands now all the members currently LOVE their ST Honda's, or have at least loved one in the past.  And that makes all the difference I think?   :grin         

On the back of that I'd like to change my vote to be to leave it as it

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »
I cannot see any reason to change, we don't have any shortage of members, and even if our numbers were to dwindle somewhat I don't see that as being any reason to bring other makes of bikes into the fold. Many of our members already own and ride other makes of bikes and they're welcome to do so but I don't believe the structure of the club should change simply to increase our already impressive membership!

As many others have already pointed out...."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :grin :wht13
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline excopper

• excopper
  • ST 1100, blue
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »
 :bl11
       I'm sure we would all like to keep it HONDA -PAN EUROPEAN(st1100) only but with the demise of the 1300 it will all end soon.
reluctantly I'm voting to include other tourers,cant see any future otherwise.

Rob :'(

Offline 2Triky

• Old Fart
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2015, 11:22:02 AM »
Piet puts across a brilliant comment, which I totally agree with.  In addition to his comment, No i really dont care about how to maintain a FJR, or a Beemer, or where to buy the best spares.  The site will get way over complicated and difficult to research.  I would loose interest and most likely bomb out.  This is a Honda ST owners site.  Lets keep it that way.
Cheers,
Mick.
Woodvale. W.A.

Offline innet57

• ST Freak
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »
Though I'm no longer an active club member I can see the sense in broadening the membership to other makes/models particularly with the eventual demise of the ST. The site would no doubt have to add some additional pages to cater for maintenance procedures etc to allow members to focus on the details that interest them but that should be no problem. http://ozstoc.com/Smileys/default/angel.png
Wayne Tenni
If this is as good as it gets .... it ain't too bad.

Offline Rhino

• ST Legend
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »
 WOW: :rd13
There is a lot to be said for pigeon holeing.  I believe we are currently using a great forum. Why start placing screwdrivers, spanners or hammers in you kkitchen cutlery draw. What a freikin mess that would be. I go to the Ozstoc forum because I want to relate to Honda St related issues. When I search for other issues I simply go to a different forum. Nuff said
p's, No pigeon holeing has nothing to do with the rear end of a pigeon.
SToned on riding for a long time and a good time.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »
Just some interesting statistics as at 2:30pm on the 16/01/15.......

100 members have voted  -   63% - OzSTOC remains in its current format.

30% - Would like to see a change to a generalized "Sports Touring" group with other bikes included

7%  -  Have no opinion either way.

Brilliant feedback here everyone  :thumb
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!