Author Topic: Motorcycle Quote of the Day  (Read 419040 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Motorcycle Quote of the Day
« Reply #2900 on: December 08, 2019, 12:15:28 PM »
Bending the elbows and wrists instead of straight arming the bike will set you up to be in a more friendly and relaxed position on the bike. I only vary the grip when I'm making steering changes. Outside of that, my grip is as equal and relaxed as I can make it. Treat the bike like a friend and it won't work against you.
A Twist Of The Wrist 2  Keith Code  p38
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2901 on: December 09, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »
Most riders become anxious about being blown around in the wind and tighten on the bars. As the upper body is buffeted by the wind, it acts like a sail. The bike is then being steered by the wind! Ride loose and low, and the wind's effect on the bike is reduced by at least 75 percent.
A Twist Of The Wrist 2  Keith Code  p40
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #2902 on: December 09, 2019, 03:55:40 PM »
Hope I'm not out of line posting this...please delete if so...  |-i

Download a copy of "A Twist Of The Wrist 2" from HERE

Sorry for the momentary Hijack...  :law

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2903 on: December 11, 2019, 02:15:39 PM »
No worries- I didn't know it was available on-line.  Thanks for posting.

For those just wanting a few samples:

In a rear end slide the front end turns toward the direction the bike is actually going- into the slide. The main mass of the bike is moving outward and the front wheel turns just the right amount to stabilize it. This feature comes free of charge with every motorcycle. In a car, if the back end comes around, the front wheels turn to the inside of the turn, creating a pivot point for the car's mass, and it spins out. Learning how to drive a car in the snow is mostly a matter of understanding that you have to manually turn the wheel into the skid to stabilize it. You don't on a bike.
When the bike slides and SR #2 [stiffen arms] is triggered, the rider with good reactions and a strong back is in trouble. If the rider is successful at holding the bars tight enough that they don't turn into the slide, the bike now acts like the car: The front contact patch becomes a pivot point, except that a motorcycle doesn't spin out, it highsides.
A Twist Of The Wrist 2  Keith Code  p46

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2904 on: December 12, 2019, 10:12:56 AM »
A motorcycle in motion is a relatively stable vehicle. The faster you go, the more difficult it is to turn because of the gyro effect created by the wheels. That twisting force you feel with either the toy gyro or the bicycle wheel is transmitted back up the fork leg to the frame, where it forces the steering head to one side (tilting the bike).
The closer the contact patch is to the Center of Mass, the quicker and easier the machine will steer.
A Twist Of The Wrist 2  Keith Code  p55

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2905 on: December 13, 2019, 03:16:38 PM »
How many times do you steer your bike in any one turn? How many times, do you guess, is the right number? One single steering action per turn, is correct. That's rule number one for steering. What we call "mid-turn steering corrections", (one or more additional steering inputs) is a survival reaction set off by normal SR triggers: In too hot, too wide, lost in the turn and so on. In an attempt to correct for their turn-entry errors, riders use steering changes as a catch-all, cushion or buffer to handle the uncertainty brought on by the above. Mid-turn steering corrections are generated by survival reactions. And unfortunately, this rider error, like all the others generated by SRs, goes against the grain of machine technology and good control.
A Twist Of The Wrist 2  Keith Code  p62

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2906 on: December 14, 2019, 08:39:22 PM »
Everyone has a turn-point; whether they consciously selected it or not is the key. A predetermined turn entry point is one of the most important decisions you make, (if you make it). It's important because so many things depend on that decision. Let's make a list of them:
1. How much speed you can approach the turn with.
2. Where the brakes go on.
3. Where you will downshift.
4. Where the brakes go off.
5. How quickly or slowly you will have to steer the bike.
6. Where the throttle comes back on.
7. How quickly or slowly the throttle maybe applied.
8. How much lean angle you will use.
9.  Where the bike is pointed once fully leaned over.
10. How many (if any) steering corrections you will make.
11. Where you will finish the turn (how wide you run out at the exit).
A Twist Of The Wrist 2  Keith Code  pp81-2

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2907 on: December 15, 2019, 01:28:53 PM »
Mechanically speaking, the eye doesn't actually narrow down what can be seen, you simply aren't aware of all you can see when your attention is captured or directed elsewhere. When you remember to do it, the width of your awareness is totally controlled by the mind. 
I'll tell you my secret. I discovered this whole thing one Sunday morning in 1974 while riding to Griffith Park to street race with my friends. I had a vicious tequila hangover. My field of view was about two feet wide and I knew this wasn't going to work; I felt lost on my own street! I suppose out of necessity, my attention popped out wide and I could "see" again; it even made most of my "condition" disappear. From then on, when I left my house, I would usually remember to push my attention out wide. The most amazing thing happened as a result. I never again had any trouble in traffic with surprise lane changes or sudden critical situations involving four-wheeled motorists.
A Twist Of The Wrist 2  Keith Code  pp94-5

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2908 on: December 16, 2019, 01:27:27 PM »
The two-step goes like this:
1. You spot your turn-point as early as possible. This could be before you brake, while braking, anywhere- as early as possible.
2. Just before arriving at your turn-point you look into the turn to see where (exactly) the bike should go.
It's also called the two-step because it makes you aware of two major steps, (1) where to turn and (2) where to go afterwards, before you have done them.
The difficult part of this technique is allowing the bike to go straight until you have reached your turn-point. Survival Reactions are begging you to turn the bike at the same time you look in. This is the "go where you look" survival reaction, SR #5. The two-step technique helps you defeat it.
A Twist Of The Wrist 2  Keith Code  p99

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2909 on: December 17, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »
For Goldfine it's always been about more than selling stuff. He really believes that riding a bike makes you a healthier, happier, more well-adjusted person. He will go on endlessly about dopamine and endorphin secretions. He gets excited. His eyes light up. He's his own ShamWow commercial. But wait! There's more!
Riding a bike isn't easy. Ask Bobby Zimmerman. Both hands and both feet operate in an intricate, sophisticated dance. All five senses are on alert. The brain and the ass and everything else battle for control. Pull this trick off- actually guide the two-wheeled bitch to a finish where and when you want to- and you're a self-validated genius. No wonder you feel so damned good.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 1  Robert Higdon  p11

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2910 on: December 18, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
I sit on the rear, leaning forward with my fingertips pressing against the tank of the K100RS. This isn't how I'd imagined it would be. I want to hold onto him, tightly. But this isn't holding on. This is praying. We're not out of the pit before I'm having misgivings on a cosmic scale. And then it gets worse in a hurry.
The bike launches itself toward turn two, a long, arcing right-hander. Pridmore's style is to cut toward the inside of every corner, to take away the ability of a trailing bike to pass, but there are no bikes out here that will pass him today or would even want to try. When it dawns on me that he really is going to slam into that turn at some godless speed, I try to suppress a moan. A moment later he has the machine heeled over to the right at an angle that shakes me to my core. This is going to hurt like hell, I think. But I'll be unconscious then and won't give a damn anymore.
And with that realisation a sublime peace envelopes me, as if my nerve endings had been coated with morphine. We exit the turn still alive, take turn three to the inside (as usual), become almost airborne at turn four, shriek downhill to the 90-degree left-hander (inside), and cover the hundreds of yards of back straight in less time than it takes me to recite the Apostle's Creed. He doesn't come off on pit road, but takes another lap. By now my spirit is two hundred yards above the bike, circling the track casually like a bird, watching my corporeal form on the back of a red bike blur through time and space without sorrow, toil, or care. And then it is over.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 1  Robert Higdon  pp35-6

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2911 on: December 19, 2019, 01:34:09 PM »
Weather windows in Siberia are narrow and the riding season laughably short. If you try to cross the countryside in May, as the Finns did, you'll run into snow. In June it will freeze at night but it might not snow. July will bring out the flies, afternoon thunderstorms, and 95-degree heat. In August it starts snowing again.
The winter defies description. Our route took us a little south of some of the lowest temperatures ever recorded outside Antarctica. Fifty below zero- steel shatters in such cold- is not uncommon in the area. A drunk will stagger out of a bar, fall down in a stupor, and be quickly covered up by a snowfall. The following May, as the ice slowly melts, the snow bank begins to reveal an upraised frozen arm or leg. The Russians call these apparitions podsnezhniki, spring flowers.
The first three days had been rough. On the fourth day, things turned seriously ugly. We had stopped for gas after noon, having come off a stretch of pavement that was hopeless even by Siberian standards. I looked at Mike and tried to smile.
"As bad as that was," I said, "it still beats the dirt." I should have shut up. It was the last paved road we would see for the next 900 miles.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 1  Robert Higdon  p53

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2912 on: December 20, 2019, 09:59:31 PM »
Melissa Pierson wasn't having any of that. She knew the steed wasn't worthy of a shred of trust, something that is intuitively obvious to anyone who has ever ridden a one-track vehicle. This thing, she wrote bluntly, can kill you faster than the emergency response team can peel you off the grill of a Volvo. Sure, it's a machine of exceptional beauty, function, and lineage, but you're never going to escape its physics. In the end it is going to do whatever it takes to wind up on its side.
Still, she said, if you can learn to handle this thing, to tame it like an unruly horse, surviving the elemental danger of the enterprise may be enough to offset the downside risks. Staring death in the face and coming out smiling has always been, and will always be, the straight flush in life's poker game.
This yin and yang is the dark midnight of motorcycling's soul. No one in the trade writes about it. It is the distant bell that is heard only by the unconscious mind. And no motorcyclist wants to hear it anyway. You don't go into the garage each morning and ask that shiny machine, "Is this the day you kill me, you bitch?" You already know the answer: It will if it can. You're supposed to be the master, so master it, if you can.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 1  Robert Higdon  p93

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2913 on: December 29, 2019, 11:37:02 PM »
I referred to it as a "motorcycle" gene, but it's really a gene that produces rebellious, anti-social, and not infrequently criminal behaviour. All societies have methods of controlling defiant people through psychiatric intervention, waterboarding, federal prison, and so on. But a cheap, effective way of modifying behaviour (short of outright surgery) is merely to co-opt it before it becomes intractable: Give the offender a motorcycle license.
At first blush this might appear merely to introduce yet another violent twist into the debate, but its genius is that it diverts a genetic drive to wreak havoc into what we call with a wink a "socially acceptable activity". The rebel with the malignant gene will be riding a motorcycle- perhaps not too skilfully or for too long- instead of robbing widows, selling methamphetamine at the playground, or running for president.
You may recoil from these thoughts, but by standards commonly used to judge the validity of an argument, it passes every test: 1) It conforms with how we know the world works and 2) It isn't internally inconsistent. Look no further than biker cult classic, The Wild One. The leader of the Black Rebels Motorcycle Club is asked, "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?" He replies, "Whaddya got?" It didn't matter; Johnny would rebel against anything. He didn't know why, but we do.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 1  Robert Higdon  p122

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2914 on: December 30, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »
Having stared death in the face, he walked away. His riding suit was scuffed up but largely intact. The coat beneath it was untouched. Twice in recent years he had tripped on sidewalks and sustained more severe injuries. But it was enough.
"It took me as much as three minutes to decide that I am going to get out of the motorcycle world," he said.
Seven years ago I wrote a column about why people ride bikes. They do, I argued, because their genes are biological black holes. Normal people don't ride motorcycles. If you're on one, there's something wrong with you by definition. I have never met a single rider who wasn't covered with Freudian fingerprints.
Then I considered the simple truth that sooner or later everyone stops riding. Why? Does the psychiatrist gesture hypnotically and cure you? Are those genes improving with age? Of course not. You stop because you run out of your allotment of Bad Days. You're born with a certain number of them. When they're gone, so are you- to the morgue, to the emergency room, or, in Irv's case, to somewhere else.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 1  Robert Higdon  p174

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2915 on: December 31, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »
The last two days on the road were some of the worst motorcycling I've ever been through. It was cold, windy, and lethally boring. When I rolled into my driveway, I was shivering uncontrollably. There was snow in the yard. I left home in the middle of winter, February 11. I returned with the first day of spring on the horizon. You wouldn't know it. It's colder today than the day I left.
I know, I know. If you don't want to be cold, try riding through Kansas in July, not through Cloudcroft in February. If someone else were telling me this story of woe, I'd have less than a vanishing trace of sympathy. But it did seem that much of this trip had a conspiratorial flavour to it, one designed to drive me nuts. It worked. There isn't a cell in my body that doesn't hurt right now.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 1  Robert Higdon  p220

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2916 on: January 11, 2020, 08:33:59 PM »
When winter slunk in, things turned darker still. The splines on the kickstarter's shaft stripped, a catastrophe laughably out of my price range to remedy. Thus did I become a master of the bump start. The colder it got, however, the bigger the hill I'd have to find to tether Lassie.
Winter only magnified the constellation of my woes. I worked the night shift at a liquor store in Bladensburg. One night I was caught at work in a serious snow storm. At two in the morning, quitting time, a foot of snow lay unplowed on almost every road in the county. I tossed the poncho over a leather jacket, cinched down the hood, and pulled on some gloves designed for B-29 pilots. I wrapped a six-foot scarf around my face- there was no helmet law in Maryland then, but I couldn't have afforded a hat anyway- and headed up the hill to give Lassie a shove.
To this good day I don't know how I got that thing cranked over. I fell twice in deep drifts before finding the bottom of the hill. The engine kept chugging away. I'll admit this about a Vespa: If you could get the pig going, it would keep going.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 2  Robert Higdon  p25

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2917 on: January 14, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »
When winter slunk in, things turned darker still. The splines on the kickstarter's shaft stripped, a catastrophe laughably out of my price range to remedy. Thus did I become a master of the bump start. The colder it got, however, the bigger the hill I'd have to find to tether Lassie.
Winter only magnified the constellation of my woes. I worked the night shift at a liquor store in Bladensburg. One night I was caught at work in a serious snow storm. At two in the morning, quitting time, a foot of snow lay unplowed on almost every road in the county. I tossed the poncho over a leather jacket, cinched down the hood, and pulled on some gloves designed for B-29 pilots. I wrapped a six-foot scarf around my face- there was no helmet law in Maryland then, but I couldn't have afforded a hat anyway- and headed up the hill to give Lassie a shove.
To this good day I don't know how I got that thing cranked over. I fell twice in deep drifts before finding the bottom of the hill. The engine kept chugging away. I'll admit this about a Vespa: If you could get the pig going, it would keep going.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 2  Robert Higdon  p25

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2918 on: January 16, 2020, 10:56:27 PM »
The wind ripped out of the west at a healthy 30-40 mph. Snow swirled eerily across the road. My arctic boots, rated to -10 degrees, weren't particularly effective in the -55 wind chill, not even with two pairs of thermal socks and electric insoles. I thought I had prepared for everything, but I was wrong. If there are serious, painful lessons to be learned in life, motorcycling will teach them to you.
Coming into Caribou, an ominous name even for Maine, the road suddenly dived into a 10-percent downhill for a quarter of a mile. Before I even knew what was happening, my subconscious bike brain casually said, "You're on solid ice, bro. And look! There's a traffic light at the bottom of this hill. What fun!" I don't know how I got down that grade on two wheels instead of bobsledding on one of the saddlebags. Some things are best left unknown. After that it was just a question of trying to get back to Portland before a pebble could hit one of my crystallized feet and shatter it like a porcelain vase.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 2  Robert Higdon  pp38-9

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2919 on: January 18, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »
Still, what I have is a skill, one that most riders don't want, one that 30 years of practice has brought to a fine edge: I hit things. I hit them hard.
In college I managed to slide a Vespa through an entire intersection, denting a brick wall on the far side. Not a month later, to avoid slamming into a barricade, I drove straight off a cliff. I blamed the Vespa's crappy brakes. I needed better stoppers. I also needed a psychiatrist, but Brembos were cheaper and less judgemental. I bought a 250 Puch and, while chasing some ducks, promptly rode it through a barbed-wire fence. Then I began to accumulate BMWs, bikes that communicate with their brakes mostly by rumour. Anyway, brakes aren't much help when you rarely even see what it is you're about to destroy. I proved that conclusively a few years ago when I inverted Harry Hurt's work and turned my bike left in front of an oncoming car.
As satisfying in some respects as these crashes were, the perfection of my life's work- the rear-ender at ramming speed- was still on the horizon. A couple of years ago I bought some ancient R80G/Ss and went into serious training. The only way to stop an R80 is to drag a stick on the ground.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 2  Robert Higdon  pp57-8

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2920 on: January 20, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »
Our hotel is quite the perfect dump, lacking amenities picky travellers such as ourselves enjoy, like air conditioning, hot water, soap that doesn't crumble when you open the package, and more than three minutes of internet connectivity every hour or so.
Many of the riders had travelled before with the organisation's founder, Helge Pedersen. Last Tuesday at dinner I sat with five people who combined had ridden on these expeditions 28 times. Let that sink in. This isn't a two-week Gray Line bus tour of the National Parks of Wyoming. When you sign up for a ride with Helge, you're in for 60-plus days, $30,000 to get in the door, and $20,000 or more in a bike that is accessorised more than a Dior model. The $10,000 for your own air fare, lunch money, tips to the hotel maid, and psychiatric consultations are chump change.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 2  Robert Higdon  p97

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2921 on: January 22, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »
About 30 years ago one of Rider magazine's staff writers, Beau Allen Pacheco, wrote an article in which he said in passing, "Sooner or later everyone quits riding." Those words have haunted me ever since. How does a person who is a motorcycle rider cease to be that person? I've come up with some truly eloquent theories over the years about why people ride and why they quit but until now have never had to put the theories to the test. I've concluded that my original idea about why riders stop riding- they simply can't take another bad day in the saddle- is as good an explanation as any. At some point it just isn't worth it. You can't push that damned bike 10 more feet down the road.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 2  Robert Higdon  p111

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2922 on: January 25, 2020, 10:26:56 AM »
You're probably already aware of this, but I have rediscovered some important truths about travel now that I own a car again. If you drive this thing in the rain, you will not necessarily become wet, unless you open the moon roof. When it is cold outside, you do not have to become cold too unless you open the windows. Oncoming motorists do not seem as willing to turn left in front of you or to lurch out of side streets toward your right knee or to sneer at you when your splines disintegrate on the shoulder of the highway.
All in all, these cars might catch on. There might be rallies out there where Civic owners convene and discuss floor mats. I could go to Car Week in Daytona, learn the brands of chewing tobacco that NASCAR drivers prefer, and put nasty stickers on the bumpers. I could fight for instituting more helmet laws and against permitting bikes in T2 lanes.
Yeah. This could be a giggle. And even though it's raining like hell right now, I think I'll go for a drive.
Vroom. Ha ha. Vroom.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 2  Robert Higdon  p129

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2923 on: January 27, 2020, 06:51:50 PM »
If I were advising a North American biker on European travel, I'd suggest starting in the British Isles. The language problems are more comical than confusing. It takes 10 minutes to become used to driving on the left-hand side of the road. The roundabouts are manageable, so long as you stay away from the one in Hemel Hempstead, a structure so massive that it has five satellite roundabouts sprouting from it. And the currency is decimal, finally. You know you're in a foreign country when you're in Great Britain, but you don't feel like a foreigner. You really have to be an idiot to piss off the English.
I came to Devonshire in 1972, Higdon version 1.0.1 spent the summer going to law school in Exeter, eating fried rice from the Slow Boat and drinking Guinness at a dreary pub on Dunsford Hill. Three times I've returned, always going back to the places I saw the first time. I ride through lonely Dartmoor, where the hound of the Baskervilles used to frolic and where American prisoners of war- we have not always been allies- were held. The pirates of Penzance are two hours west, Tintern abbey two hours north, and Moreton, where T. E. Lawrence died, lies two hours east.
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 2  Robert Higdon  p140

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2924 on: January 29, 2020, 09:39:30 AM »
"So what can you do?" another voice asked sadly. "Make it easy on yourself. Don't get off the bike. That threatens the cop. Remove your helmet so they can see how old and feeble you are. If you've got nerves of steel, have a joke ready. I heard one about a guy punching his helmet when the cop walked up. "What are you doing?" the cop wondered. "Just frustrated," the rider said. "Guy sold me this and told me it would make me invisible." Cop laughed and let him go. Most of the time, though, they know what they're going to do- write you up or let you go- before they get out of the car."
"And if you do have to go to trial?" someone wondered.
"If it's that bad, I'd get a lawyer. Even a lawyer should hire a lawyer. It's your only realistic chance. There is no presumption of innocence whatsoever. None. It's the cop who presumed innocent and unbiased, but we've already seen what he can do."
The Higdon Chronicles Vol 2  Robert Higdon  p187