Author Topic: 2017 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Dan

• QLD
2017 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:39:56 AM »
I'm not much of a forum poster these days, but thought I'd share my recent experience of a H-D Ultra Limited.  With the demise of the trusty ST, I figured riders on this forum will be looking elsewhere when the time comes to replace their bike and this may be of interest.

My current stable consists of my BMW R1150GS and a recently acquired ST1300, which isn't mine but will be my mid-long term daily runabout vehicle (until the owner wants it back, whenever that may be...).  I joined this forum when I had my ST1100 a few years ago.  I have ridden a number of bikes over the years, although not so much in the last 5-6 year period.  I like anything with 2 wheels and an engine - well, almost anything...

I have always liked the large luxury land yachts, kinda my dirty little secret.  I knew a couple of guys years ago that had GoldWing 1800s which I thought looked like great fun.  They really liked them.  When a BMW K12000LT came up for sale recently for a decent price I was very tempted to buy it just for the hell of it.  But, the reality is I don't ride much these days and it would have just sat in the garage with my GS.

As for Harleys... well they make some really nice looking bikes.  I really like the look of the current Ultra Limited, in the yellow and black it looks fantastic.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_AU/Motorcycles/ultra-limited.html

A local hire company has one available (in grey and black), so I decided to hire it for 24 hours where I did about 600km over 2 rides (one solo, one with pillion).

First impressions... It looks great.  It has some modern features (LED lights, touchscreen infotainment etc) which blend really nicely with the retro style.  When I first sat on the bike, it seemed really low.  My thighs were above the fuel tank, which is a first for me and it felt really small.  Almost cramped. 

The weight of the bike is noticable when moving it off if the sidestand, but it's not massively heavier than the ST. 

The bike was fitted with Screamin' Eagle exhausts.  Upon starting the bike, I think they've named them wrong - sounded more like Shoutin' Bogan.  They were loud.  According to the owner, they aren't actually that loud for Harley pipes.   |-i  :law

The handlebars were positioned really well for me and felt comfortable.  The forward mounted footboards were surprisingly comfortable too. However the gear lever had a pointless heel shifter on it which only served to limit how far back my left foot could move backwards.  It was not needed for gear changes.  The brake pedal was a huge car sized thing sat high up on the other side, requiring me to move my foot to use it. 

As I rode away, the weight disappeared as soon as I got moving.  The first thing I noticed was that the controls were all very heavy... probably deliberate for the 'Merican Iron feel.  The clutch was heavy and caused fatigue and pain after a day's riding, the throttle was heavy and the brakes needed a lot of effort for them to work.  But they did work well as a result of that effort.  I conducted a braking exercise and they stopped the bike very effectively.  The gears needed a good stomp to change and result in a loud clunk each time, but they changed fine.  Finding neutral however was a pain, usually I got it just as the lights turned green....

Riding in the sunlight also highlighted another minor but very annoying (and potentially expensive) problem.  The speedometer.  It's very small and the markings are very feint, making it REALLY hard to see exactly how fast I was going.  Very easy to stray in to ticket territory.  In the dark it was fine as it illuminated nicely.

The next thing I noticed was the seat.  While it looks plush and comfy.... it was terrible.  After 10 minutes it felt like I was sitting on a solid piece of wood.  Of course there are options for other seats, but on a $40,000 luxury touring bike the standard seat should be decent.  I was soon in discomfort, which progressed to pain by the end of the day.  The riding position places all of your upper body weight through the seat and 2 days later I still have lower back pain and seat discomfort  :butt.  Really not what I expected.  My pillion found her seat to be comfortable until the end of the day when she also felt lower back pain.

The suspension also contributed to the discomfort.  It was awful.  On anything but the smoothest of roads it was a real boneshaker.  With so many bikes with "Glide" in the name, I was expecting a super smooth Caddilac experience.  The worst ride quality I have experienced.

Wind management was't great with a fair amount of wind noise from the fixed screen.  There was no buffeting though and there were several vents to open/close as ambient temperatures dictated. 

I was expecting a large dose of torque from the large V-Twin.  It was the current Milwaukee 8 motor.  After I got a feel for the bike, I decided to give it the berries from a set of lights, expecting to have to hold on to the bars as the torque pushed me forwards.  As the lights went green, I gave it all it had.  I was rewarded with a massive amount of noise, and a disappointingly low amount of forward thrust.  I repeated this experiment a few more times until my ears could no longer take it.  If I was told that it was a 650 I would have believed it. As for character... I must have missed that.  It was just lame, if that counts as character.  It rattles and clatters which is still audible over the continuous shouting from the exhaust.  Harley must have some very talented engineers, how they can make an engine that makes so much noise and produce so little performance must take a lot of skill and effort. 

Overtaking performance was no better.  The gearbox seems to act more as a volume control than as a means to access engine power.  The lower the gear, the greater the noise but with no noticeable increase in acceleration.  Gear selection became an exercise in keeping the noise down.  It was like being accompanied by my own set of roadworks.  By the end of the day my ears were ringing and I had a headache.  Loud pipes are just stupid and antisocial. 

At standstill, the engine goes in to 'epileptic mode' where the whole bike just shakes.  I think there is a device that cuts one cylinder, to save a teaspoon of fuel or so.  As you pull away it takes a moment of what sounds like a minor misfire before resuming business as normal.  It's actually pretty smooth on the move.

The handling of the bike was actually OK, at a moderate road pace where the bike felt comfortable.  It preferred to travel at legal speeds through the twisties, still quicker than the cars on the road at the time but certainly not record breaking speed.  I went up and down a couple of ranges.  Obviously it was better solo.  I hadn't expected the pillion to have such an impact on the handling on a big luxury tourer but it seems that this bike is really a solo motorcycle.  It has some characteristics which I found strange.  It took more effort than I am used to to steer and it really didn't want to countersteer, instead preferring to turn as it leaned.  A Harley fan I know told me once that they use different steering geometry with the forks behind the headstock, I guess this may be why.  Hitting bumps mid corner wasn't much fun with the front and back feeling very disjointed like it was hinged in the middle. 

Storage space was as it looks, with the topbox easily consuming 2 full face helmets.

Fuel range is also good, I didn't measure it but upon refuel the range display showed over 480kms.  A bit pointless if ass range is only about 48kms...

I really wanted to like this bike.  Unfortunately, I didn't.  Other 'premium' brands I have ridden (BMW, KTM) have added something over the generic Japanese offerings.  Even riding a Vespa scooter is (to me) nicer and more 'special' than other scooters.

The Harley felt like it was made in a shed out of an old bike frame and a lawnmower engine.  While the paint and detailing were nice, this did not feel anything like a 'premium' bike.  How they get away with such high prices I don't know.  It is the worst bike I have ever ridden.  It should be half the price of other bikes in the same class. 

I rode the ST the next day and it was a revelation.  Better in every performance measure than the Harley.  Way more comfortable.  And I don't even consider the ST to be anything special. 

How Harley are still in business I don't know.  I used to think I had a space in my garage for a Harley.  Now, even if I won one I would rather sell it than keep it.

I apologise for the negative post - I intended to provide a balanced report, but what came out of my fingers seems not to be...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:06:23 PM by Dan »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
Re: 2017 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »
Great report - Thanks for posting Dan. I had thought about a Road King as a possible option, but maybe not after reading this  :wink1
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023, 2024
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
Definitely 'try before you buy' if you can.  A lot of people love their Harleys, they can't all be wrong!

One of my workmates bought himself his dream bike - a CVO Glide of some kind (retro front, panniers, no topbox) and absolutely loves it.  He sold has car and motorcycle to buy it.  He can't stop riding it.

Another mate bought a new Fatboy.  He's always wanted one.  However he doesn't really like it, hardly ever rides it, and wishes he had spent the money on a BMW GS. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:31:03 PM by Dan »

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 07:46:02 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to warn us.

.... The riding position places all of your upper body weight through the seat and 2 days later I still have lower back pain ....

Similar to my experience with cruisers.  The seating position, hands and arms out in front and forward feet controls results in all of my 90kg through the base of my spine with no opportunity to stand-up on the foot pegs to take any weight of the spine / bum.   Then add the "boulevard" suspension ....... well we know the result.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Online STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 07:53:55 PM »
Good report, very funny.
'How do they do it?'  Good marketing to people who don't know about bikes.
A Harley for me? no thanks, I will stick to the Chinese CF Moto TK.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 08:08:35 PM »
Thanks for agreeing that the big noise is anti-social and a hearing hazard.  I can't ride in company with a Harley.  And I just laugh when I see them bouncing up and down at the lights.  If the ST isn't big enough for you, there's always very nice hardly used  ST1800s out there under $30K.  If the GPS was better, it had an electric screen and didn't cost an arm AND a leg for a service involving an air filter, I might have kept mine.  The most extraordinary engine you could ask for.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 08:10:15 PM »
..... Good marketing .....

Most certainly.

..... to people who don't know about bikes ....

Not sure about that.  A very good mate, is very motorcycle savvy; he has restored, rebuilt, worked on and keenly ridden many makes and models of bikes.   He loves his Harleys (all 3 of them), Suzuki (3), Yamaha (2), Triumph (2), Ducati (only 1 of them), BSA (1), and I think I've missed a few - sadly no Honda.

If you're at Wooli, and you're welcome to try and convince him otherwise.

.... A Harley for me? no thanks, I will stick to the Chinese CF Moto TK.

I agree on that point, except I'll stick with my ST1300.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: STeveo

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 10:44:27 PM »
After a few months at looking at possible bikes to replace (if I was in the market for one) an aging 1100 or 1300 (if I had one) then I would choose the F6B 'wing. Rather than release a newer ST the chopped 'wing would give Honda two bikes from one platform.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 08:07:46 AM »
In 2013 I did well over 1,000kms on a rental Electra Glide in the US.
It performed well including a few hours at 90 mph on an interstate.
It did have a 12V outlet, one more than Goldwings and STs have.
Harleys have great side stands, when on the side stand it will not fold up even if the bike is pushed forward. I don't know of any other make having the same type of great side stand design.
My biggest complaint was at speed the wind tried to lift your legs off the floor boards and you almost had to push down on your legs all the time. Also I don't like their top opening panniers.
Would I buy one, NO, could Honda learn some thing from HD, YES.

Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

The following users thanked this post: Biggles

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »

Honda could learn from a lot of manufacturers, including Yamaha and BMW!  We fill some of the gaps with farkles.
I agree a "non-folding" sidestand would be good.  I note their bigger "foot" but worry a bit about the amount of lean the give- possibly not such a problem with a generally lower C-of-G bike.

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
In 2013 I did well over 1,000kms on a rental Electra Glide in the US.
It performed well including a few hours at 90 mph on an interstate.
It did have a 12V outlet, one more than Goldwings and STs have.
Harleys have great side stands, when on the side stand it will not fold up even if the bike is pushed forward. I don't know of any other make having the same type of great side stand design.
My biggest complaint was at speed the wind tried to lift your legs off the floor boards and you almost had to push down on your legs all the time. Also I don't like their top opening panniers.

For a long time I wanted to tour the USA on a Harley.  I still want to do the trip but would choose another bike.

I agree the centre stand was a good feature on the HD.  It also had a USB phone charging cubby hole, another nice little touch.  Lipstick on a pig perhaps?

Honda's ST and GL are just way too old in design now. 

I've been interested recently in Yamaha's new offering, the Star Venture.  Somewhere between a Goldwing and HD, with muscle car styling.  Initial Youtube videos are positive.  It polarises opinion on advrider where it has earned the name "Yamapotamus" from keyboard critics.  I kinda like it.

I've also ridden Yamaha's newest FJ1300.  It has some nice features.  Fits somewhere between sports tourers like the VFR and touring bikes like the ST.  The owner absolutely loves it.  I found it to be as expected, a very competent machine, generic Japanese. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:08:00 AM by Dan »

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 07:41:18 PM »

One of my sons recently bought a C50 Suzuki Boulevard, '05 model I think. You can't just pull the side stand back. You have to get your toe under it and lift it slightly in order to pull the side stand back. Sounds like others have caught on a while ago. I also agree about the riding position of a cruiser. Not for me I'm afraid.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline LeaST4Me

• ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 07:50:10 PM »
I was surprised to hear this bike is so bad as the magazine write ups have been flattering to say the least & I was thinking in these speed limit obsessed times that one might be suited to my purpose?  I have never ridden a luxo touring Harley but have ridden several other Harleys & my wife has a Sportster in the shed which she loves the look & sound of though has recently bought a z300 which she prefers the dynamics of. I myself enjoy short rides on the Sportster though it suffers the same problem as all cruisers in that it is painfull on the tail bone after 30 minutes riding, I was kinda thinking the Ultra Glides would be ok. The lack of engine performance is surprising & I wonder if not tuned properly to suit the pipes? Hmmm maybe I'm not too old for a ZX1400?
Ride Safe
Mike & Leanne

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »
I was surprised to hear this bike is so bad as the magazine write ups have been flattering to say the least & I was thinking in these speed limit obsessed times that one might be suited to my purpose?  I have never ridden a luxo touring Harley but have ridden several other Harleys & my wife has a Sportster in the shed which she loves the look & sound of though has recently bought a z300 which she prefers the dynamics of. I myself enjoy short rides on the Sportster though it suffers the same problem as all cruisers in that it is painfull on the tail bone after 30 minutes riding, I was kinda thinking the Ultra Glides would be ok. The lack of engine performance is surprising & I wonder if not tuned properly to suit the pipes? Hmmm maybe I'm not too old for a ZX1400?
Ride Safe

It's just my opinion as a paying customer (for the rental at least).  It's hard to find a bad 'professional' magazine review of any bike these days, I guess we can all assert reasons as to why.  I also like the idea of bikes that are enjoyable at legal speeds. 

I still think it looks fantastic and if someone else enjoys how it rides then great for them. 

I highly doubt if the pipes had anything to do with the engine performance, if anything they should improve it.

If you have the option of renting one, I recommend it so you can decide for yourself.