Author Topic: which jacket?  (Read 7521 times)

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
which jacket?
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:44:14 PM »
In the market to renew my 30yr old (hand me down from my brother) leather jacket. The jacket is still serviceable. Has already saved me from road rash, but showing some wear and tear. Also a little too big. reluctant to get rid of it as it has serviced both my brother and me well, and is like an old 'friend', but need to get a snugger fit and maybe a little better protection.

My question to you all is, should I buy a fibre style jacket with removable inner, or buy another leather jacket. What is the pros and cons of each and what would be value for my dollar? At the cost that each is, I want to make an informed choice and value your input.

Cheers,
Hobs

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
Re: which jacket?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:55:57 PM »
I have one of each.  Synthetic for Winter, Leather for Summer.  I find the Synth warmer and more "air-tight" on those cold winter morns.....
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:02:51 PM »
I have gone for the textile style in recent years. The advances they have made are amazing, in terms of jackets that can handle a wide range of weather conditions with just changing an inner lining, opening vents for hot conditions but still handling  wet weather.  Most come with some sort of armour in the right places.  Leather is still the best for race suits, but for road use in a  variety of conditions the textile garments rule.

I have an older textile jacket (Dririder) that is way heavy and bulky compared to a more modern one that I don't think I will ever use again. Things change so much (for the better) in only a few years, and they get cheaper.  I tend to ride regardless of weather, so the least extra bit of gear I have to carry is a bonus.

I am sure there will be a few responses with reviews and prices. I went for the Aldi jacket and pants. Jacket is great and flexible with a liner, but the padded pants leak after many hours in the rain.  For many many years I just used PVC jacket and pants and never had any water leak problems, but they did get a bit sweaty if the weather was warm, which was not usually a problem in southern NSW and Victoria when it rained.

For hot weather I use a summer weight textile jacket.  It is an older one, and is not waterproof if you happen to get caught out. I may just replace it with a light weight waterproof one as there are lots better ones around now.  I carry PVC pants in the warmer months to cover off rain, but they are not armoured at all.  I come from a 1976 riding start where a jacket and jeans were standard issue..none of this kevlar stuff!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:09:09 PM by saaz »
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:03:49 PM »
Wow. Leather for summer? I've never owned a leather jacket as I assumed they would be much hotter, particularly up here in Qld. I'm on the verge of buying the lightest textile jacket I can find. I shall watch this space with interest.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »
To clarify Skip, on really stinky hot days, the synth can be a touch cooler, but most days they are about the same.  just prefer the feel of the leather jacket.  I use the Aldi gear, both have the armour, and you can't beat the prices, if you can find stock avaialble.
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline Skip

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:41:38 PM »
I can't say I was EVER too hot while living 'up on the big hill' where you are, but I do find the heat in Brissy a challenge, particularly on the ST. I'm looking at a DriRider that has both a waterproof liner and a winter liner but both can be removed. Haven't purchased yet but it's the best I've seen for my use.

Skip.

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »
 :grin  Not too hot up here, but when I STray..........  :rofl
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »
I wear a Rivet jacket with removable liner.  Only used the liner once so far..... but I do live in Darwin  :grin
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline Skip

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »
I think I'd struggle in Darwin Wendy. I did hire a scooter on my one and only visit a few years back but no safety gear.  :-(((
Just too hot.
I haven't heard of Rivet but then I have lived a sheltered life. Obviously a textile jacket?

atoyot

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
There's so many variables that should be considered before narrowing your choice down (all seasons or not, waterproof or not, $$, only jacket or seasonal, cut and style of jacket, protection levels, armour, comfort, breathability, functionality etc....).

Revit, Rukka and some other companies are mainly high end, and good quality, but there are some local brands such as Dri-Rider that are very good for the money, so maybe just check out other web resources (webbikeworld, Revzilla etc) and narrow your choices down. Always good to buy local, but stores usually don't stock a big range, but mainly what sells most, and usually the cheaper brands, so on-line stores may be useful, but then you've got to get the size right otherwise it can be a PITA returning for different sizes.

I live in a cold climate, but in summer, it can get hot and whilst I have a jacket that can do 4 seasons (Revit Ignition hybrid), I still have a cheaper RJays for wet winter months that allows me more clother underneath, but that might not apply to you for where you live,

regards

Offline Skip

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
I will still have good old faithful for the cooler months but I'm desperate for a true summer jacket. I am a bit shocked at what bike shops offer, or in my case, don't offer. I'm looking for a light colour as well and just about everything is black. Hope to have a new jacket on the next SE Qld RTE.
Will post a review.

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43:38 PM »
I will still have good old faithful for the cooler months but I'm desperate for a true summer jacket. I am a bit shocked at what bike shops offer, or in my case, don't offer. I'm looking for a light colour as well and just about everything is black. Hope to have a new jacket on the next SE Qld RTE.
Will post a review.

Best summer weight jacket I had (still have but it's WAY too big now) was a BMW Airflo. Light grey in colour and mostly mesh. I was mad enough years ago to ride Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Darwin in February wearing a leather jacket. I bought the Airflo soon after, not cheap, but an awesome jacket.

:bl11
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »
One of our supporters Zen Motorcycle gear would be worth a look, I am eyeing off one of their jackets after I replace my helmet, they have mesh, touring and leather, we get 10% off he following:

Jackets, (Zen leather jackets, hybrid and textile jackets), here is the link to all his information

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=2044.0

And here is his website

http://www.zenmotorcyclegear.com.au/

Cheers

Streak (Graham)
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 10:12:32 PM »
Will post a review.

Skip, if your looking for something in a lighter colour, this might suit you, it is a touring jacket made for all conditions, and after our discount is a tick under $160, here is the link:

http://www.zenmotorcyclegear.com.au/leather-hybridhybridleather-textile/adven-tourer-jacket/

And a photo:

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 11:27:11 PM »
I bought this textile one in Jan 2011 for about $180 from a bike shop and according to the website it is now $99.

Has removable armour, removable quilted inner liner and zipped vents front and rear. Only issue I have with it is with the velcro flap opening up when I'm riding with a strong wind from the right. I keep forgetting to buy a few press studs to keep it closed. The pockets are all rubber lined so contents will keep dry.

http://bikersgearaustralia.com/details.php?TiD=MTc1LTIyOC0wLTU2MA==&Txid=a60d589aed1ca1ce186f91d517600e0b

Originally posted here http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=358.msg2855#msg2855
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 12:54:27 AM »
Will post a review.

Skip, if your looking for something in a lighter colour, this might suit you, it is a touring jacket made for all conditions, and after our discount is a tick under $160, here is the link:

http://www.zenmotorcyclegear.com.au/leather-hybridhybridleather-textile/adven-tourer-jacket/

And a photo:

Hey Streak, the only problem with promoting the OzSTOC preferred suppliers is that their all down south and no real help to the northern folk.

Any chance of spreading the joy a little further a field when setting up preffered suppliers? :phone
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 05:37:04 AM »
Any chance of spreading the joy a little further a field when setting up preffered suppliers

I would love to, all the people on the preferred suppliers list approached OzSTOC in someway, so if you find someone up there who is interested in talking to us by all means put them in contact with me, and we will see what we can work out.
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Down Under

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 08:51:10 AM »

Textile is definitely the way to go.  The better textile jackets have good levels of protection and I love the way they can be configured to deal with any type of weather situation.  I think the Adventure style jackets are the most versatile, with removable thermal and waterproof liners, ample ventilation zips/mesh, heaps of pockets and even room for a hydration bladder.  I still wear my leather jacket every now and then but for touring etc I find textile gear much more practical.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
I have one of each.  Synthetic for Winter, Leather for Summer.  I find the Synth warmer and more "air-tight" on those cold winter morns.....

+1
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

terrydj

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »
Had me a heap of jackets over the years and most were crap.
Got me now an OLYMPIA summer jacket and me thinks none better and for the touring got me a Dririder that's got a bladder in the back for water and such and thought all Dririder gear was rubbish until I got this one

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
I posted this some time ago and I'm very pleased with the products. I've now riden in weather that was on the verge of a monsoon and the jacket kept me bone dry. Great product and great price.

If anyone needs a new jacket and/or pants, I highly recommend these people;

bikeweardirect.co.uk

I bought a matching jacket and pants (with hi-vis inserts) from them. The items were posted on Wednesday last week and I received them on Monday!

Total cost, including postage came to less than $300 and the quality of the items is First Class.

They claim that they are waterproof and warm (with removable warmth inserts). To-date, we haven't had the weather here to test this claim but I'm sure that if they are regarded as waterproof and warm in the UK they will satisfy our requirements here in Oz.

Definitely worth having a look, as to get similar items, at these prices, here in Oz has proved impossible for me.

Regards,

Dave                                                                      :wht13
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

terrydj

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 07:18:41 AM »
So sad that mostly theirs only Crap available in relation to Motorcycle Jackets and such available in Australia.
The best stuff I have was brought overseas.
Currently I have an Olympia Jacket and Pants and after a few years beside the dirt their as good as new :thumbs
Normally a jacket only lasts me 12 mths or so but I do ride 6 out of 7 but this Olympia stuff to me is the best. Then again their is the BMW gear but I'm not a millionaire

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »
I use the Dririder Climate Control 2 all weather jacket

The jacket consists of the outer mesh jacket and two inner liners, a zip in waterproof liner and a thermal liner.
The liners can be attached to the jacket individually or to each other then to the jacket.

The outer jacket has amazing airflow and is nice and cool in the heat, and when it gets cold the liners make it nice and warm inside.

I brought mine for $199 from Team Moto on sale, they normally sell for $250.
If anyone is looking at one go to a Team Moto, try them on to get the right size then buy one from ebay for $199

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Skip

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
Yep, nice one Shiney. I just bought a similar DriRider version only even cooler I'm hoping. A lot of flow thru mesh outer with armour, a removable winter liner and removable waterproof liner, and in silver grey colour. Bike Biz have 25% of all DriRider gear at the moment so I bought a pair of gloves as well. Free shipping as well.
I still have 'old faithful' to fall back on if it gets too cold for the beaut new summer jacket. I've only been cold once on the ST, and that was on our return from our little jaunt south last winter. We encountered torrential rain all the way home from Port Macquarie to Brissy last August. So looking forward to being a bit more comfortable on the 28th.  :runyay
Cheers.
Skip.

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 07:26:02 AM »
Awesome news Skip :hatwave
It sounds like an awesome jacket :thumb

:think1 Once you’ve run it in can you do a review? (I’m not looking to replace mine but always good to know what’s out there :grin)

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)