Author Topic: what would you do  (Read 3529 times)

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
what would you do
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
I am rebuilding my 96 ST and nearing the pointy end of finishing. Just have the fairings to repaint and replace the brake discs which are on order and expected soon. My question to you all is, I purchased this bike about 6mth ago from an owner who didn't ride it for about 14mths after the rego ran out, he and his wife have health issues and couldn't ride anymore. The problem I am pondering on is that he left the bike out in the weather and caused some deterioration to the bike. I'm not sure if he even covered the bike as the windscreen was severly sun damaged. I have replaced all the fluids, stripped, cleaned and rebuilt all the braking and clutch components with new seals, sorta feel that stopping may be important when the bike finally hits (don't mean that literally) the road, stripped and cleaned the carby assys, rebuffed and polished the windscreen, recovered the seat adding new foam, refired the engine with fresh petrol, amazingly started on the third push of the starter. the bike will soon be ready for the road. Now my pondering thought is, and for this I seek your advice, is, should I trust the tyres? They look ok. On close examination I can not see any distortions or surface failures to indicate a problem. After receintly reading the article on this site about the tyre lamination problem, It started me thinking seriously about what I should do. My mind says replace the tyres as too much work has gone into this project and I'm worth more than two tyres, but my pocket says, your worried over nothing, just take it easy for a little while and prove the tyres ok.
Am I taking a risk, or am I worring about nothing? Your experienced replies would be very appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:23:51 AM by hobs »

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
Re: what would you do
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
My 5 cents worth would be to replace them, they represent the only thing between you and oblivion if they crap out, and after sufficient time in the sun to stuff the windscreen I wouldn't trust them as far as the end of the drive! Lets face it there are only two credit card sized patches of rubber holding you on the road, and after all the work and expense you've lavished on the rest of the machine a couple of tyres are a small expense for peace of mind!.

There's an old saying about not spoiling the ship for a half-penny's worth of tar which applies directly to this case I think.

Personal opinion only but that's what I'd do if I were in your position.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:35:49 PM by Whizz »
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »
Buy new ones :thumbs
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »
I'm with Whizz. We can't see or touch the tyres first hand - but for an extra $350-400 - you have not only eliminated a problem that will nag you in the back of your mind, every time you ride at highway speeds, you have eliminated it as a problem for the next 15-20 thousand kms.

Peace of mind and a body/motorbike in one piece - I'd buy that for $400.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »
After about two years of no use, the compound may have hardened, and be liable to cracking/delaminating. They may be fine, test them in a leisurely ride to your tyre dealer and replace them.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »
I know you are right Whizz, Brock and Diesel, that is how my mind is working also. Thanks for your inputs. Expecting similar replies from others, guess I just wanted to share my thoughts to settle in my mind that it is a wise and reasonable option. Now time to tell the pretty half of one more small expence and I know you guys will back me up, ha,ha..

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
Tell her they're your Christmas present and she'll see it in a whole new light.
I get my stuff by trading off future birthdays etc.   :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 11:56:30 AM »

Problem is.... Biggles now has to live to be 117 years old to pay it all off!          :rofl :rofl :rofl
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
Well blow me down, just told the pretty one of the 'Boards' decision in replacing the tyres and she said, without hesitation, ''of course their right, get the new tyres''. I guess love conquers all things. Women, who can figure them out.  :runyay :runyay :thumbsup

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »
Well blow me down, just told the pretty one of the 'Boards' decision in replacing the tyres and she said, without hesitation, ''of course their right, get the new tyres''. I guess love conquers all things. Women, who can figure them out.  :runyay :runyay :thumbsup

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Trick is not to have too much $$$ worth of life insurance Hobs - this can sometimes help sway decisions like this from the 'luv n kisses'     :rofl

Glad it worked out.       :-++
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »
agreed with everything put down here :)
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »
One final point in the collective decision making, my parents-in-law have a 2004 Camry which has done 33,000ks and was still on the original tyres. As you can see it wasn't driven much, spent many weeks and months not moving at all. When I drove it recently it felt like the tyres had a flat spot on them from sitting still too long, so I took to to Bob Jane's to have them examined and was advised that they all needed changing because they were permanently set. I put 4 new tyres on and it goes like a rocket now, smooth and silent!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:57:24 PM by Whizz »
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Brian

• ST Immortal
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »

Problem is.... Biggles now has to live to be 117 years old to pay it all off!          :rofl :rofl :rofl

So he's only got a year left and the books are balance.......
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
No question, replace the tyres!!!!!!!

Mine was the one that delaminated, I and my daughter are lucky to be alive.
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913