Author Topic: Saaz's Final Gift to OzSTOC  (Read 21413 times)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Saaz's Final Gift to OzSTOC
« on: March 12, 2016, 10:30:46 PM »

Late last year OzSTOC lost a member, friend, mate and mentor in John Nagle (SAAZ).

Saaz's passion and devotion towards motorcycling in general was undisputed, but he held a special place in his heart and soul for OzSTOC......this tremendous group of Honda ST owners that he helped bring together shaping the club into the group we are all proud to call our motorbike club.

Over the last couple of years Saaz spent most of his riding hours on his brilliant Triumph Trophy while his beloved and well ridden Honda ST1100 took a well earn rest from touring duties, the bike remained registered and road worth until late last year.

As a sign of the devotion Saaz held for OzSTOC and in conjunction with John's family his beloved ST1100 has been bequeathed to OzSTOC to do with as we wish. This has been in the pipeline for some months now and has just recently come to fruition.

This gave us some time to consider our options for the bike and its future.....

So with great pleasure I would like to announce that OzSTOC is going to commence a project to develop our own club bike.

The plan is to collect the bike from Canberra where it will be moved to a central location in NSW close to a few skilled ST1100 aficionados to commence restoration of Saaz's White ST1100. The project initially will be to assess the requirements to bring the ST up to a club bike worth status, the bike will be mostly de-farkled and bought back to a stunning fresh white ST1100 with tasteful club signage and a tribute to its owner Saaz.

I wish to emphasis that this project is something we wish the entire club to take ownership in and be proud of and enjoy seeing the build come together. While we want the bike to shine as a representative of our club it won't be kept behind glass......many people under the right circumstances will have the opportunity to see and even ride the club bike at and to various club functions. We acknowledge we will have some hurdles to overcome with a club owned bike, but we will persist and make this something truly great for the greater club.

Let's all get behind this and really show what the OzSTOC family can achieve.
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: Saaz's Final Gift to OzSTOC
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:36:13 PM »
This is one of the truly greatest moments in OzSTOC in my mind, sets a tear in my eye to see this come to fruition, all i can say is I tip my hat to everyone who made this happen.

Truly honoured to be part of this group of people, nothing compares to what we have done, and will do.

Our hands are up for whatever you need to put this together.

Cheers

Streak & Teela
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

The following users thanked this post: alans1100, Wild Rose, Draco (Heartbreak Kid), Jdbiker

Offline Grumpy

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 10:40:49 PM »
As Streak said..I can't say it better.

My hand's up for whatever I can contribute
Cheers
Grumpy :grin :wht11 :bl11
(John)
2000 ST1100PY  - RhondaG
1990 ST1100L ( now parts )
0418 164 819

Ulysses# 62049
STOC # 8757

The following users thanked this post: Draco (Heartbreak Kid), Jdbiker

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:13:20 PM »
:thumbs :popcorn
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

The following users thanked this post: Draco (Heartbreak Kid), Jdbiker

Offline johnnyYTED

• STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 12:24:12 AM »
I'd be honoured to help with labour to have saaz's bike restored. So when its needed please give me a call.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

The following users thanked this post: Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 07:38:05 AM »
I have mixed feelings about defarkling John's bike, because the farkles and LD stickers is what makes it quintessentially saaz's bike. Without those it becomes another ST.

I do understand that the transformation will definitely make it an OzSTOC bike, but I'm concern it will lose its essence of saaz.

John continues to surprise. What a wonderful gesture.

Even though I've quit riding for now, I would be honored, and probably tearful, to ride John's ST1100, although I would also simultaneously be fearful of binning it.

I presume long term registration, insurance and garaging issues have been considered.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 07:48:49 AM »
Its the Registration and Insurance and indeed nominee for the same that presents our biggest challenge.....but we decided the project was just to valuble to the club to not press on and solve as we go. I'm thinking a chat with our new found friends in Shannons Insurance will be on the cards  ;-*
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Brian

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Immortal
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 07:50:23 AM »
 :popcorn
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 08:01:30 AM »
As I mentioned when we announced this generous gift to the club earlier we truly want the club members to take ownership and feel empowered by this project.........and that starts right now  ;-*

We need a name for the bike/project ?? It needs to embelish want this is all about....Saaz and his ST1100 in the role of the OzSTOC club bike. It needs to be short and catchy without being corney......lets here your thoughts  :beer
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »
I know you said you didn't want corny but all I can come up with is Re-saaz-itation. I know that would have got a smile and chuckle from John.
Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 12:23:51 PM »
Great to see this project come to fruition
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 01:17:43 PM »
Its the Registration and Insurance and indeed nominee for the same that presents our biggest challenge.....but we decided the project was just to valuble to the club to not press on and solve as we go. I'm thinking a chat with our new found friends in Shannons Insurance will be on the cards  ;-*
Couldn't this be done the same or similar to how a vehicle is registered in a company name?
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Jglan10 (Onesie)

• Jordan
  • Love the real bikes
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 01:20:57 PM »
Just reminds me that he is watching over all of us and he will always be rembered for ever rest in peace up there
Honda cb 250n 2001 honda cb 400 super for hyper revo spec 3 2011 honda st 1100 ps 1995 Honda cb 250 98 and another st1100 94 and another st1100 97 and 2 tralers

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 01:22:39 PM »
Couldn't this be done the same or similar to how a vehicle is registered in a company name?

It could if OzSTOC was a registered entity, but it isnt.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline laurie

• ST Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
I knew John from the very early yahoo group days, when the group was a loose association run by Craig Sinclair in Cowra NSW. I met and rode with John and some of those early members on a number of occasions (and still ride with some of them) i remember Johns bike well, it was well travelled,a bit scruffy,but in good fettle. One thing it wasnt was a pristine garage queen. Be careful how you procede with this project, you may end up with just another anonymous white ST.

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, ST2UP, Grumpy, Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline Barry and Marissa

• ST Legend
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 05:59:59 AM »
I knew John from the very early yahoo group days, when the group was a loose association run by Craig Sinclair in Cowra NSW. I met and rode with John and some of those early members on a number of occasions (and still ride with some of them) i remember Johns bike well, it was well travelled,a bit scruffy,but in good fettle. One thing it wasnt was a pristine garage queen. Be careful how you procede with this project, you may end up with just another anonymous white ST.

I agree with what Laurie has said. Like Laurie, I have known and ridden with John from way back in those early Yahoo years. In all the years I've known John, one thing John's bike NEVER was, was a pristine white machine. In fact I can remember John arriving at my place many times and I'd usually say something along the lines of , "it must be getting close to that time of the year when you give your bike it's yearly bath?"

So I have to agree with what Laurie has said, to restore John's bike to a shiny white ST1100 without the years of dirt, bugs and the array of Snowy Ride stickers that once adorned its screen would make it just another white St1100. I would suggest leaving it just as John used to keep it, and the way he loved it.       
Barry and Marissa :) :)

Barry 2012 VFR800 Red.
Marissa 2011 VFR800 Red.

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP, Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 10:47:56 AM »
Wow ..such a wonderful thing to do....
And I agree with others.....to change it in any way is to remove "Saaz" from it altogether
And that should never be done in any circumstance....
He was to great a person to everyone he met..so to change anything is to loose him completely.
I for one will never ever forget him.... :like

Unable to ride
Tipsy & Turvy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 11:59:16 AM »
I perhaps based on a few above comments should have explained a little more detail and history into this project.....But I completely understand and appreciate the points and comments made by all so far.

Pockey, Saaz and I have been discussing, as a Managment team does, the concept of a OzSTOC club bike since late 2014.....we sort advise from a few other members during this time who would take on the task of the re-furbishment of a bike......we collectively chose an 1100 because of the relatively low initial cost of purchase and price of available parts..... but we agreed it was still beyond our fiscal means at the time and would essentially require a bike to be donated to the club or purchased by a small group and donated to the club.

We had been watching eBay, Gumtree and the forum classifieds for some time, we even made a rather offensive offer to a Gumtree seller  :whistle....we discussed when and if we acquired a bike if we would have it done secretly and just have it ride into a National Rally as a complete surprise to the club.....but we decided we would involve the entire club and its members in the project to give everyone a sense of ownership in the project.

I jokingly said to Saaz some time ago....." Now your on the Trophy you could get some extra room back in your shed".......to which he replied similar to "Oh well, you never know what the future may bring"...... Naturally in his frequently seen dry sense of humour.

The plan was a simple take a relatively straight ST1100 regardless of colour but preferably white to "tidy up" not to showroom status but as a neat and tidy eye catching bike that was very much a usable bike for all manner of club activities and riding.......but it would showcase TASTFULLY some club identification to make it distinctly OzSTOC.

Our plan..... and by our plan I mean Pockey, SAAZ and myself......Our plan was to have a bike that spent time in locations around predominately the eastcoast due to the distances required to move to the west coast and attend all manner of OzSTOC functions with numerous riders having access to the bike when required it could be potentially a loan bike to a visiting member from inter-state or country......but when ridden around be distinctly a bike that represented the entire club OzSTOC.

With this bike being bequeathed to OzSTOC by SAAZ and his family, what I'm reading into this situation is...."Well here is the bike"

What Pockey and I have since added to the equation is to acknowledge on the bike, who SAAZ was and what he meant to the club in the form of a short scroll or similar, it was also suggested that the bike could indeed stand for all our fallen riders with names being added to the bike in a tasteful manner so they to continue to ride with OzSTOC.

I hope this clarifies that this has been a long term project for OzSTOC and I beleive SAAZ along with his family has simply provided the means of helping achieving this goal.

:beer
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

The following users thanked this post: Streak, WendyL, Wild Rose, Grumpy, spanner, Kev Murphy, Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »
I am taking on all the points that are being made.

ST2UP and Saaz both spoke to me about getting our hands on an ST1100 to tidy up for OzSTOC use many times, and i think that we need to take a little of the emotion out of it and look at what we have, which is what Saaz would have done without a doubt, and you all know that.

We have a White ST1100 that is missing a few bits, and needs some work to get back on the road and the like, so work will have to be done to it regardless what anyone thinks, so change will happen regardless.

I am very proud of the fact that we have Saaz's ST1100 to make into the the "OzSTOC" bike, i don't foresee a showroom resprayed mint condition bike riding around, to me it will have a clean up, do any work that needs doing to it, and making it ready so any OzSOTC member can hop on and ride it, and we are all comfortable in knowing it is good to go.

So rather than get into a debate about it all, lets make enjoy the fact that something owned by a great friend to us has the opportunity to stay in touch with all of us

Cheers

Streak
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

The following users thanked this post: Barry and Marissa, Wild Rose, Grumpy, Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 12:18:33 PM »
It's hard not to be emotional about such a good mate as saaz.

Having that background context does make a big difference though.

Still not sure of the need to de-farkle though.

Anyway, all the best with the project.
Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

The following users thanked this post: Barry and Marissa, ST2UP, Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline Barry and Marissa

• ST Legend
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 01:43:26 PM »
Thanks for giving us the back ground context Chris. It makes it easier now to understand what John's wishes were, knowing that the idea of a club bike had been discussed with him.

Cheers

B & M 
Barry and Marissa :) :)

Barry 2012 VFR800 Red.
Marissa 2011 VFR800 Red.

The following users thanked this post: Streak, ST2UP, Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 07:05:30 PM »
I believe in SAAZ's personality being left on the bike in some way, the snowy stickers etc.
The idea of the scroll and having fallen riders named added as a memorial to keep them on the road is an excellent sentiment.
This is a great project and having watched SAAZ pull his bike apart and hand me the parts so as I could participate in the OZSTOC SS1600 held a couple of years ago just goes to show why this last act of a true gentleman should be honoured.
I'm more than happy to help this project however necessary.
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 04:09:21 PM »
I think this is a great idea, a name for the bike is something that I can not help with .

What I would like to see though is the ability for this to become a really good opportunity for a show and tell situation where we meet up, have beer/wine/coffee/whatever and watch and learn as someone does the ..... timing belt, the shockies, how to straighten the triple clamps after a stripdown etc.

this could even be done in different locations assuming the ability to access tools and having someone prepared to ride it to said location.
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »
I think this is a great idea, a name for the bike is something that I can not help with .

What I would like to see though is the ability for this to become a really good opportunity for a show and tell situation where we meet up, have beer/wine/coffee/whatever and watch and learn as someone does the ..... timing belt, the shockies, how to straighten the triple clamps after a stripdown etc.

this could even be done in different locations assuming the ability to access tools and having someone prepared to ride it to said location.

The plan is to see the bike used as a ST deserves to be used, it's not going to be an "under glass" bike.......so there will be ongoing and preventative maintenance to be completed for sure  :thumbsup
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

• Rob Married Ros 14/09/2019
  • Legendary Member
  • White Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 10:03:55 PM »
This is one of the truly greatest moments in OzSTOC in my mind, sets a tear in my eye to see this come to fruition, all i can say is I tip my hat to everyone who made this happen.

Truly honoured to be part of this group of people, nothing compares to what we have done, and will do.

Our hands are up for whatever you need to put this together.

Cheers

Streak & Teela

:blu13 I'm only new BUT willing to help in any way shape or form I can. I didn't know SAAZ but if he rode a bike he must've been a great guy.. :like :blu13left
CHEERS
DRACO :)

Honda MT250 Elsinore, Honda 750 four F1
Kawasaki Z650, Kawasaki Z1R Mk ll (mint green)
FJ1200 Yamaha 1995, Kawasaki Z1100
Kawasaki Z1000, FJ1200 Yamaha 1995
FJ1200 Yamaha 1992, FJR1300 Yamaha 2004
ST1300 Honda 2004, FJ1200 Yamaha 1990

My next ride:2015 ST1300P
White Phoenix