Author Topic: Flouro Vests to become compulsory???  (Read 19458 times)

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
Re: Flouro Vests to become compulsory???
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2012, 04:41:49 PM »
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
I add this for those who choose to be a bit better informed and would prefer that if you wish to ridicule then do it somewhere else.

some studies from NZ in 2004 regarding Motorcycle rider conspicuity and crash related injury: case-control study

Abstract

Objective To investigate whether the risk of motorcycle crash related injuries is associated with the conspicuity of the driver or vehicle.

Design Population based case-control study.

Setting Auckland region of New Zealand from February 1993 to February 1996.

Participants 463 motorcycle drivers (cases) involved in crashes leading to hospital treatment or death; 1233 motorcycle drivers (controls) recruited from randomly selected roadside survey sites.

Main outcome measures Estimates of relative risk of motorcycle crash related injury and population attributable risk associated with conspicuity measures, including the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, headlight operation, and colour of helmet, clothing, and motorcycle.

Results Crash related injuries occurred mainly in urban zones with 50 km/h speed limit (66%), during the day (63%), and in fine weather (72%). After adjustment for potential confounders, drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.63, 95% confidence interval 0.42 to 0.94) than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.76, 0.57 to 0.99). Self reported light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk. Three quarters of motorcycle riders had their headlight turned on during the day, and this was associated with a 27% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.73, 0.53 to 1.00). No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle. If these odds ratios are unconfounded, the population attributable risks are 33% for wearing no reflective or fluorescent clothing, 18% for a non-white helmet, 11% for a dark coloured helmet, and 7% for no daytime headlight operation.

Conclusions Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC387473/

IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
ok, so the sample size of one (2004) concluded a 37% lower risk.  What about a larger sample, such as adding in 2005, 2006, 2007 etc....

Our national road toll (all vehicles) fluctuates each year, therefore the results of such study as seen above would also have variations.

This still doesn't mute the argument that better driver awareness, and rider education would have a similar effect on crash statistics.

I'm 33 and have gained my license through QRide.  I was fortunate to have a passionate instructor that taught how to ride and survive, not just get my license.  My father is 54, and learnt the old-school way on country roads, and has never "updated" those skills as many otheres do.  Today when I took my mother for a ride as pillion, she pointed out that my riding style was completely different to my fathers, and she felt as "ease" on the back with me, having a smoother ride. This is not to say dad is a bad rider, on the contrary he could handle a bike better than me (I know, I've followed him before), It means that in a certain scenario he may react differently to me, possibly changing the result.  I'll back my training giving me a different awareness.

My point is, has there been a study on the riders experieince/training and the crashes these riders were involved in?  I'd like to see that one.

Anyway, enought rambling, dinner is on the table.... :grin
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »
Conclusions Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death

As usual, money spent and no real outcome resulted.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 07:22:20 PM »
Conclusions Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death

As usual, money spent and no real outcome resulted.
Acutally - I disagree. Like climate change, smoking, safe-sex, etc. there is nothing guaranteed about test samples. What we need to look for is the language..... the use of the term "may increase the risk" is far different from "is not associated with risk", or "may decrease risk".... quite the opposite. Statistically, it has shown there is some correlation, although imprecise.

The title of the post was all about enforcement. I think we all believe that there are other behaviours of other drivers that could change and equally result in reduced risk for the motorcyclist. However, for me it's easy: flouro vests cost next to nothing, don't hurt anyone else, take no effort to wear, and might increase my chances of getting to the destination safely... so - it's a no-brainer for me... I wear it.

Leathers are a different story....
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
Yes research is old and needs updating but it at least is research.  The other major research project was the Hurt report. the findings may be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report

Point 14 of this list is interesting.

So there you are two reports from research projects.  Neither is up to date. Your decision your choice.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:38:51 PM by tj189 »
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

terrydj

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »
If they can't see you with a headlight on then a Flouro vest may not help. Around town I wear an Olympia jacket that's Flouro and it makes no difference. People still pull out to pass heading towards me. People still pull into my lane, people still try and run up the back of me. Makes no difference at all.
Funny thing is they do exactly the same if I have a normal jacket on????
Kinda remember when Helmets became compulsory because they would save lives???? Hmmm their first year of introduction Motorcycle road deaths went up.
Seems people thought helmets made em safer.
Wait a minute, maybe fools will think Flouro jackets will make em safer :rofl :rofl :rofl
Yeap me bloody jacket makes em notice me better :crackup :crackup :crackup :crackup :crackup :crackup

Offline SToz

• Every day above ground is a good one!
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2012, 06:47:55 AM »
Each to his own.

I'm sure there's an equal amount of info that says it makes no difference either way.

Complacency will always win whether on it's on construction sites, with road workers or drivers not seeing motorcyclists irrespective of what's worn.

However........

I think that wearing a fluro vest at least at night has merit especially if I came off.

I'd rather being a glowing ball lying on the black tarmac in a truckies head lights rather than just a black blob.

My 2 cents worth.

:beer
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

SToz (Rick)
'04 ST1300A
IBA# 38032..... SS1600K  SS2000K  BB2500K

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
I think it comes down to driver, rider education. You get alot of younger rider that have just got there learners no experience in traffic, like all young people they don't like to be told.I drive alot in my job and I am seeing alot of scooters on the road, these had pissy little lights and are alot smaller than a real bike they weave in and out of the traffic . Most don't  even wear riding gear .shorts and tea shirts . Fluro vest wouldn't make any difference . Drivers aren't any better most are on the phone( more ladies than guys) . Everyone is in a rush . Cheers :|||| :|||| :blk13
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »
So I'm tootling along in the cage behind a guy on a dirt bike who was wearing a ruck sack type bag on his back that was a CAMO colour!!!!

How ironic that with this discussion of how to be seen better, this chap decides to wear an item that makes him blend in with the surroundings - i.e. BECOME MORE INVISIBLE!!!

Who makes this 'anti-safety' gear? And why would you buy/wear it?

Really! Camouflage Back Packs? (Remember that the back pack constituted 90% of what you can see of the rider from behind on a dirty, narrow dirt bike with small blinkers and lights etc - not like being behind a Nimitz Class ST11 or 1300!)

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
Not so much who makes it, but who in their right mind would buy such a thing to use on the bike...
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2012, 07:49:23 PM »
So many guys also wear the camo pants when riding
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
All this talk of hi-viz stuff reminds me of a tongue in cheek remark I made to one of the bosses in a company I used to work for.

They advised that all visitors and office workers in the company would be wearing those orange safety vests if they ventured into the factory area. "Now we can see you when we run over you" I responded as driving a fork lifts of varying capacities was part my work.

Sadly; I can imagine the same occuring on the road.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 12:42:09 AM »
flouro crazy :runyay
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2012, 11:36:33 AM »
Here is another good reason for them....

View My Video
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline STutter

• The Headless Horseman
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »
I usually wear this

and this

I haven't had much of a problem with people pulling out in front of me. Actually I'd have a hard time remembering the last "almost accident" I've had.

My other bike is a 1983 GPZ750 which is ridiculously, obnoxiously loud. Its yellow and red. Never had a problem on that one either. STutter is black, but if I did up the bike to look like so...

While you couldn't miss it, I'm sure the police would have you up on impersonating a police vehicle - similar to the way you cant have blue and white checks on your paintwork.

Ultimately, I simply think that from a young age we're told to look for CARS, not vehicles. If anyone hit me wearing the above on a giant black bike the size of a bloody dugong and say "I didn't see you" they had better hit me again, because when I get up I'm going to punch them in the nose with whatever appendage is still working.

So you think, so you shall become - Bruce Lee

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »
Good call STutter.

I wished that if they uttered the words "SMIDSY" that this would be an admission that they are not fit to drive on the roads! Coz if I stay out of the blind spots and make all my manouvring intentions clear and they still didn't see me - then they won't see half the other cars about either!       :cuss
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »
In my humble opinion the SMIDSY excuse is firmly in the arena of "Driving Without Due Care and Attention" which is illegal, and as such these blind maniacs should be formally charged.
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

atoyot

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I thought that SMIDSY was an addmission of guilt, as clearly the person who was hit was definately there!

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »
Well we recently decided we would do the High Vis thing, our rational is simple......now riding a BLACK bike in BLACK riding gear that is still very serviceable and not near ready for replacement, for the sake of $30 it won't decrease our chances of being seen.

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »
That's my rationale too. However, pop into Woollies and you'll spend less than $5ea.
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »
Having been riding on the road for over 45 years I would like to think I am very conscious of seeing other bikes on the road. Out on a ride the other week and looking down the road I saw a bike coming towards me with a rider who had a very light coloured jacket on, almost white, while my brain immediately acknowledged a bike on the  road there was certainly a delay for my brain to acknowledge that there were two bikes, the FRONT bike was in black. You can blame car drivers all you like for not being aware of bikes but that doesn't help you when you are in the ambulance on your way to hospital. As per the two posts it above some hi vis gear certainly can't hurt and one day it may just make the difference between being seen early or too late.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300