Author Topic: Connecting light right headlight  (Read 3877 times)

Offline troncomobil

• ST Legend
Connecting light right headlight
« on: May 07, 2016, 10:28:53 PM »
I recently added the connection beam right to have the two operating headlights. My ST factory came only with the left .

Well, after a few days I have been exhausted battery . The bike I use a lot lately city. Still thought that consumption of the two lights at once (9-10 Amp . ) Would not be enough to download it.

My ST is ABS- TCS .

In town, as much the engine works at 2,000 r.p.m.
It is possible that this is the problem? How many charge power has the alternator to these revolutions ?

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
Re: Connecting light right headlight
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 11:02:29 PM »
Some of us here in Australia have changed to LED headlight bulbs/globes/lamp. Current consumption is around 3 Amps with both headlights on high(maximum) beam.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 12:18:24 PM »
I recently added the connection beam right to have the two operating headlights. My ST factory came only with the left .

Well, after a few days I have been exhausted battery . The bike I use a lot lately city. Still thought that consumption of the two lights at once (9-10 Amp . ) Would not be enough to download it.

My ST is ABS- TCS .

In town, as much the engine works at 2,000 r.p.m.
It is possible that this is the problem? How many charge power has the alternator to these revolutions ?

At 2000 RPM the alternator will produce most of its achievable  power output.  On the older models it was 28 amps.  On yours it is 40 amps.  The bike needs 16 amps to run, if I remember correctly, so there is 24 amps available- enough for most of us to add heated grips and extra lights.

All Australian ST1100s came with both headlights on while the ignition key is on.  I suspect you have caused a short in the wiring that is only enough to drain the battery without blowing the fuse.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline troncomobil

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
No, if there is no short circuit . Bridged is correct and clean. :thumb

I will measure consumption at idle and load 1000-2000 rpm.
I do not know what alternator has my ST . But I'm beginning to doubt that is 40 Amps.  :think1

Unfortunately , the LED bulbs in Spain are not permitted by law :law ...

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 08:49:17 PM »
That's a real shame about LED. So much brighter and less consumption. Hope you solve it soon.

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 09:40:24 PM »
No, if there is no short circuit . Bridged is correct and clean. :thumb

I will measure consumption at idle and load 1000-2000 rpm.
I do not know what alternator has my ST . But I'm beginning to doubt that is 40 Amps.  :think1

Unfortunately , the LED bulbs in Spain are not permitted by law :law ...
Have a look on the frame under the seat for your model. You should see a label like the one in the picture. The colour you suggested in your introductory post seems to fit some of the colours of the earlier ABS models. 1996 saw the 40 amp replace the 28 amp.

2009-12-22 ST1100A Model Sticker by Alan, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:05:06 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline troncomobil

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 10:02:43 PM »
ST 1100 F  PAN EUROPEAN ABS-TCS

Then.... 28 amps. ?
 :H
 :cuss

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 10:24:51 PM »
ST 1100 F  PAN EUROPEAN ABS-TCS

Then.... 28 amps. ?
 :H
 :cuss

Sorry- it seems you have only 28 amps.

Here you will find help about 40 amp alternator upgrades:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?54261-ST1100-40-amp-Alternator-Upgrade

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?25309-ST1100-40-Amp-Upgrade
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Offline troncomobil

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 07:59:45 PM »
Buff ... change the alternator was not in my mind ... :-(((

After much thought , that a solution can be put right LED lamp . With that I hope the alternator 28Amp be able to feed the load. It is also possible that , if I keep the same color temperature can not be seen by passing the revisions.
What the lamp that you recommend me to install ? and how many amps consume each?

Thanks!!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 09:01:57 PM »

After much thought , that a solution can be put right LED lamp . With that I hope the alternator 28Amp be able to feed the load. It is also possible that , if I keep the same color temperature can not be seen by passing the revisions.
What the lamp that you recommend me to install ? and how many amps consume each?

You will need to change both to LEDs because no filament light will match and LED.
There is not very much choice of LED headlights here in Australia.  You need one that has H4 configuration.
In any case, they all have a very low current drain compared with filament bulbs, as discussed earlier, about 3 amps each.

This thread has good information on fitting LED headlights to an ST1300, but it is the same for ST1100s.
http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=9050.msg1193869#msg1193869

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »

You will need to change both to LEDs because no filament light will match and LED.
There is not very much choice of LED headlights here in Australia.  You need one that has H4 configuration.
In any case, they all have a very low current drain compared with filament bulbs, as discussed earlier, about 3 amps each.

This thread has good information on fitting LED headlights to an ST1300, but it is the same for ST1100s.
http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=9050.msg1193869#msg1193869

Biggles,

In a lot of places in Europe they legally have to have yellow headlights to reduce glare for oncoming traffic. The are fines if you dazzle oncoming traffic.

I've read somewhere they use iodine headlights instead of halogen.

There was an LED in that other post which came with yellow filters which slip over the LED which might work.

Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline troncomobil

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 06:29:44 PM »
The first thing I did was turn off the lamp, while I fix the problem.

Three days later , again low battery . I got a full charge and see that the battery is good. I rode again and all was well. Three days later, the same problem.
I measured voltage with the bike up , and accelerating voltage rises , but when measuring amps: zero amps ... !!!
The rectifier / regulator is hot ...

If the bike needs 16amp to run and the two lamps consume about 9amp , the system should not be able to withstand 25amp consumption?
Question: is it possible that the problem is that connecting the lamp has damaged the regulator, because it is this which does not support the consumption? in that case, there is a more powerful model for my rectifier?

Anyway, this afternoon will review the exact measurements of leakage , resistance, voltage and amperage according to Honda manual...

buffff!!!!