Author Topic: Oxford Heated Grips - Right Side Non-functioning...  (Read 1626 times)

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
Oxford Heated Grips - Right Side Non-functioning...
« on: March 26, 2015, 12:11:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

Over the last couple of weeks, I have needed to turn on the heated grips :( which I didn't think I would need for a while yet.  Unfortunately I found that the throttle side is not heating up, not even a little.  I haven't done any maintenance on the bike in such a long time so I am yet to see if it is only a loose wire but wondered if anyone of you guys had any experience with the same problem.

The grips were on when I purchased the bike and the clutch side certainly is getting quite worn, which I might have expected that to contribute to its failure but that one is working very nicely.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

J

Offline Aussieboy

• STeve
Re: Oxford Heated Grips - Right Side Non-functioning...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »
I had a different problem in that mine would not turn off. But FYI there is a black box (you can see I am not too electrically minded can't you?) where the wires from the grips and the thermostat wires join. I found that this was where my problem was. My main reason for telling you this is that I also found I could buy this bit separately.  Not only a cost saving, but also made the job easy as I did not have to replace the grips. I used the FAQ area on the Oxford Grips site to diagnose the problem and then got the part number from that site and got my local Honda dealer to get it in for me.
Steve
2010 ST1300
Ulysses 61988
It's not difficult it's just unfamiliar

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:54:27 PM »
Thanks Aussieboy,

I will look for that 'Black Box' I am tempted to replace the grips if I can find the right ones, because as I said they were on the bike when I bought it so don't know the model of them.

J

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 04:20:40 PM »
Probably a broken wire to the right grip, remember that this is the grip that moves.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 04:24:13 PM »
Once you find the controller you should be able to swap the connectors for the left and right grips to help isolate where the problem lies.