Author Topic: Is this a charging connection?  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Andrew_02ST

Is this a charging connection?
« on: August 03, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
Hi all ,

Recently purchased a 2002 ST1100 ex-Police. Just wondering if this connection is to connect to a trickle charger? It runs straight to the battery and connects via the red and blue wire that can be seen.

Also, as per the third photo, is it a hard job (or expensive to pay someone) to have the abundance of excess wiring stripped?

Cheers.
Andrew
2002 Honda ST1100
 :wht11

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Is this a charging connection?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
That's an Anderson plug, and it is for recharging the battery.  It's a mod a PO has installed, and is useful.  Do a search on Anderson plug in this forum.

The bundle of wires is there from the bike's career in the Police Force.  There's no need or benefit in removing them.  Some of them can be useful if you decide to do some modifications later, as they connect back to the RH switchblock.  Just bury them in the bodywork and forget them for now.

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_02ST

Offline Andrew_02ST

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
Appreciate the reply, will look into a suitable battery tender that I can plug it straight in to.

Cheers.
Andrew
2002 Honda ST1100

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »
Don't be to worried about looking for a charger for that particular plug....you may be looking for ages  :p

check out the CTEK 800ma smart charger for well under $100.....comes with a fly lead to go direct to the battery and a pair of alligator clips as well  :like

:beer

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

atoyot

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 05:17:40 PM »
That's an Anderson plug, and it is for recharging the battery.  It's a mod a PO has installed, and is useful.  Do a search on Anderson plug in this forum.

The bundle of wires is there from the bike's career in the Police Force.  There's no need or benefit in removing them.  Some of them can be useful if you decide to do some modifications later, as they connect back to the RH switchblock.  Just bury them in the bodywork and forget them for now.

The white 2 pin plug in the first photo is a molex type plug.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Interconnect/Plugs%2C-Sockets-%26-Adaptors/Automotive/2-Pin-Miniature-Nylon-MOLEX-Type-Connector/p/PP2021

CTek battery charges used to come with them, but the pins tend to flog out a bit and the wire connections fail after a while. The newer CTek chargers have better connectors, and they usually come with connections as suggested by ST2up. The newer connections (and the older type) were probably only good for up to 10amps, and anything above that should either use alligator clips or a direct wire connection direct to the battery.

http://www.ctek.com/au/en/accessories/

Biggles, I think that there must be some confusion about Anderson Plugs, as they are a totally different design to these molex type plugs. See below.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Interconnect/Plugs%2C-Sockets-%26-Adaptors/DC-Power/50A-High-Current-Connector/p/PT4420

I think that they are the best way of connecting hi-current type devices up, but they are pretty expensive when you need multiples of them on all different battery reliant vehicles. 50A is the smallest, and most 4WD's and caravaners who use them often use even larger ones, as they allow enough current to even power absorption type fridges. They are probably a bit too big to use on bikes, and they are certainly overkill in terms of current, unless you're using a 25amp charger or similar, but when the connection is soldered properly, I reckon they are the most reliable type of connection. Maybe with the bigger CTek chargers that only come with alligator clips or bolt directly to the battery, they would be required, but for bike use, most likely the chargers would be much smaller and only require the light orange CTek type connector.

When you look even further at power type plugs, there are SAE molded types, "powerlet" types, and depending on who you're talking to, Narva or something else of which the name excapes me - merit plugs! Some 4WD type fridges come with them, and they are similar to a 12v car type socket, but have a centre pin that locks into a spring loaded socket....

these....

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/merit-type-plugs-sockets

If you're only going to connect a battery charger or tender, then just go with whatever the charger comes with! Anything else, then those are some of the options...Sorry, off on a tangent again.... :H

Sorry, I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but thought I could correct any confusion that might exist. ++

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 06:44:43 PM »
Sorry, I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but thought I could correct any confusion that might exist. ++

No sweat, Andrew.  I've never used them except where they are already supplied by manufacturers (and there are a couple on my bike- trying to recall which farkle) and was citing other posts.  I see your Jaycar link.  They write up as being appropriate for higher currents, and they're polarity safe.  Buying a female to solder charger leads to would be as easy as changing what's on the bike.
Anyhoo, lots of extra good advice there.     :thumbsup
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

atoyot

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »
I hope that helps, as I've been through the ringer in terms of getting appropriate connectors for different uses, and the only one I can really find a fault with are these Molex types. I had these connectors on my 4WD, three bikes, wifes car, daughters car, two ride-on mowers, and while they were working, they were great, but I found that they started to fail after plugging in and un-plugging multiple times, so for something like a battery tender, I reckon they are probably the worst type. The female pins tend to get wider, and the contact the pin makes with the female is just too unreliable, to the point where I had one once start to heat up with my largest charger.

SAE connectors are reasonably widely used, but I've now settled on the CTek orange connector, and now have them on all the above battery dependant vehicles! :grin I should add that I actually have 5 CTek chargers with this fitting (2 with new retro-fitted connectors), and the only issue that I've had in over 12 months is that I had to replace an "O" ring on one; an easy job. ++

I may be a bit off the mark on the Merit type plugs, but that's what we used to call them over 20 years ago when wiring up fridge connections in our 4WD. I think I've actually heard of them being referred to in a number of other ways as well, but just can't remember what it was.  :OldMan

Lastly (and I'll shutup after this!), the green multipin plug in the last photo looks like an Hitachi type connector as well. I think that more than a few motorcycle manufacturers use this type of connector (with insulating grease) in some bikes. I *think* Honda use them in the quartet harness for the 1300, and they can be found on line if ever needed. Just in case someone ever does!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:46:32 PM by atoyot »

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
The round connectors aren't very good.

The faston (spade type) are much better. A good source of various connectors can be found here.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/elec__products.html

Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Andrew_02ST

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 07:59:52 PM »
Thanks all, appreciate the advice. Will pop down the battery shop and see what they can do for me.
Andrew
2002 Honda ST1100