Author Topic: Pockey & ST2UP Rally ride Part 1.  (Read 4752 times)

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Pockey & ST2UP Rally ride Part 1.
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:03:46 PM »
National Rally 2014

Day 1.   

Our ride to Ballarat started on Friday the 14th of March, we had ample time to make this ride a touriST ride as I'm required to take my annual leave in a 3 week block, Pockey with some creative rostering at work was able to take the same leave block.  :runyay

Our ride route was a simple plan, head across to the coast at Port Macquarie put our left bikie boots in saltwater and leave them there until we came of the Great Ocean Road in Victoria around Warrnambool, then head up to ST base camp in Ballarat. Along the way we planned to catchup with family and friends and take in the sights, we intended to make this a relaxing coffee and food ride, the scales at home confirmed MY success.....but Pockey the beeeeach  :well

Our first stop after a hoon down the Oxley Hwy from Walcha to Wauchope was to call on Karen (Bluehonda) and spend some quality time. So very glad we did as it gave us an insight to who and what Brad was passionate about, a photo of Brad's casket told the story of who Brad was, with his former Police hat along with his RFS, OzSTOC and Akubra hats.

Departing Karens was a simple highway run down to Newcastle after a look around Laurieton and Harrington in search of more Coffee, Friday night was spent with Pockey's brother and family.

Day 2. 

A late start after a family BBQ breakfast and off to Sydney via the coast road to arrive at Abe's for a weekend off farkling onTony's ST, some routine maintenance on mine (bleed brakes) and we had the opportunity to also meet Neale.

Abe and his family introduced us to their favourite little Thai restaurant, we spent the Sunday playing in Abe's shed whilst working our way to the bottom of Abe's waeco, some wife mentioned that I had a good camp scone recipe and I was resigned to the kitchen while the big boys got to play in the shed on my bike.....

Day 4.

The motely crew....

Monday morning and fine riding weather had us depart Abe's to head down the South coast for Eden. The ride through the Royal National Park down to Stanwell Tops was great.....

Lunch at the Milton pie shop was a great lunch stop. When coming into Moruya with a tummy full of Milton pies in glorious sunshine and us being well ahead of time found us all having a 30 minute pensioner nap along the rivers edge hiding under a shady tree before heading for our overnight stop in Eden.

Day 5.

We were up before sunrise and on the road in the best part of the riding day, but couldn't resist the calling of the morning views around Eden

And like any road trip.....you need to let the kids out to play to keep them quiet  :whistle

Mallacoota in Victoria was our breakfast stopover with some great twisties into the village that had just one corner with some unexpected gravel on the riding line and a brief sphincter moment for one of our party that gave him a sick feeling  :whistle

Back out of the village onto the highway bound for Lakes Entrance and a Fish'n'Chips lunch stop then through to Meeniyan where a rail to trail scheme has helped bring the tourist dollar back to this little town. The twisty mountain ride from Mirboo North to Meeniyan was quiet unexpected......

Day 6.
Next morning was a showery start to the day with my bike STig starting and running very rough.....wouldn't idle and needed to be kept above 2000 rpm, we added Shell fuel the previous afternoon with me filling from a different bowser to the other 2 bikes.....as we were all at half a tank we sort out a Caltex or BP and added a 1 litre of Metho and topped up with 98RON. So I could play around with the bike with some enthusiasm and in the wet Pockey pillioned behind Abe for an hour to give the pair a chance to redeem their recent embarrassment.....

After restarting STig at the service station he ran without fault for the rest of the day.....(this was a clue to the final diagnoses)....breakfast this morning was in Cowes on Phillip Island at the Mad Cowes Cafe where we ran into a local OzSTOC member Dennis who was heading for Ballarat in a few days, a run out to the Phillip Island racetrack is naturally a must.

Even Pockey found a new bike more fitting of her size.....may make a rider of her yet  :Stirpot

We then ventured to Cape Shank and up to Arthur's seat for a brilliant view of Port Phillip bay, guided by Tony's cousin David on his sports bike. This little side adventure left us cutting it very fine for the 4pm ferry.....the officer in the ticket booth saw the bikes coming with some hast down the entrance road and called ahead to the ferry to leave the ramp down and she would process us quickly.

This day end at the home of our friend of many years in Ocean Grove who welcomed our riding comrades like good friends she had known for years.....a night out at a local Mexican restaurant and many drinks around the poolside campfire made for a sensational night, followed by a cooked breakfast and pleads from our hosts to come again, and who were overwhelmed with the mates they made in Sicman and Abe.

Day 7.

No issues with STig this morning ? Leaving Ocean Grove to travel the GOR to our overnight stop that had Pockey a little concerned at the VERY small town of Boggy Creek near Curdie Vale.

The GOR was as usual a great scenic piece of roadway and having travelled it a few times now we prefer the riding West to East. Although the the GOR is a great piece of road at times and is speed restricted with good reason we hold the ride up to Lavers Hill in higher regard as a motorcycle road....those riders caught behind the tourist driver who was born without eyelids may not have had such a great experience......but the lunch at the Cafe at the top was super, the ride down the Western side had some considerable road damage that in one section had a trench 20' long, a foot wide and 8" deep that if ridden into would have grabbed your foot pegs.....NO KIDDING !!!

Pegs intact we made for Port Campbell where Sicmans pillion, a scatter minded girl by the name of Garmin took over the navigation roll for the final 15 minute ride to Boggy Creek.....after 25 minutes and finally intervention by Tom &Tom, miss Garmin's plan of geographical embarrassment was revealed.....now finding us on some fantastic backcountry twisty roads shared with fellow oncoming travellers who play the driving game by "Local Rules".

Pockey who should never have doubted my ability to pick a country pub was astonished at the great little pub we pre booked at Boggy Creek......20 k's inland and passing boats can dock at the rear of the pub which served the best pasta dish that Pockey and Abe could recall, serious restaurant quality food in a great setting in the middle of not much.....(Can see a future Vic RTE here for sure)

STig had its little hiccup starting issue this morning and again wouldn't idle under 2000rpm, but after running to fully operating temps and shutting down would start without issue......mmmmm wax or a sensor ??

Breakfast this morning had us in a great Cafe/Bakery in Camperdown.....Pockey even admitted to a Meg Ryan moment as she hooked into her pancakes.....

We wandered into Ballarat and arrived at the Big4 just after lunch on the Friday.

Pockey said the experience of sharing a room with 2 extra smelly, burping, snoring, farting blokes was truly an adventure in its self.....and even though we got a family room each night with a queen for us and 2 singles.......the boys must be congratulated for remembering to messing up the second single bed each morning......truly great travelling companions  :-++  :Blow  :Blow

Will post the Ballarat section and the return home soon(ish)  :thumbsup

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:50:01 PM by ST2UP »
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Re: Pockey & ST2UP Rally ride Part 1.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »
What happens on tour stays on tour  :Whipped
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »
Yeh ya dobber  :spank :spank :Whipped
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 07:50:25 PM »
 :popcorn
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
Great read looking forward to part 2, 3, & 4 :hatwave

:beer
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »
Dad used to go eeling down Curdies Creek. I can't recall the pub but I left for Canberra not long after I got my licence so never really wandered around all of that area.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 09:28:58 AM »
nice read, thank you, ready for the next installment now  :popcorn
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 01:27:57 PM »
 :popcorn ++ :popcorn

The cold start issue is something I've been bugged with on and off for a while.  Worst part is not being able to pin it down to one thing.  Won't idle, but will willingly rev. FI light comes on.  Warmed up, turn it off, take the key out for 5 seconds, turn it on, wait for FI to go out, fire it up and all good. 

It's got to the point I can now do it on the highway. Clutch  in, key out, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Key in, key on, FI light out, clutch out, no more problem.  :||||
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »
:popcorn ++ :popcorn

The cold start issue is something I've been bugged with on and off for a while.  Worst part is not being able to pin it down to one thing.  Won't idle, but will willingly rev. FI light comes on.  Warmed up, turn it off, take the key out for 5 seconds, turn it on, wait for FI to go out, fire it up and all good. 

It's got to the point I can now do it on the highway. Clutch  in, key out, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Key in, key on, FI light out, clutch out, no more problem.  :||||

Gary, Wax in the 5-Way connector is most likely your problem.......here is the solution http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=5870.0

Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »
Awesome read - great adventure!       :rockon

Hurry up already!!!!       :well           :popcorn         ;-*
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »
Thanks Chris.  As it has been doing this on and off since about 55,000 km (now 80,000 km) I'll look into it next weekend. (Need a project for this Saturday)  :grin   [Bookmarked the link under Motorcycle/ST1300 Maintenance]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:57:51 PM by Gadget (Gary) »
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline denis

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 08:51:48 PM »
Great Read, keep story coming please.Denis.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 02:23:35 PM »
Chris,

I've cleaned out the 5 way connector this morning, and the bike is starting first time and running smoothly once again.  I'll update the link you gave me with photos and description.

Many thanks again,
Gary
Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »
No worries mate, but dont thank me....Abe was the brains of the outfit in the link I posted that Trevor started, I just took the pics, followed instuctions and drank his beer  :whistle

Glad it sorted  :thumbsup

The research I have done seams to be common enough from 40,000 k's on wards....... :well
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
I've added more photos to TJ's post with what I hope will be a solution to prevent it happening again.  :grin
Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140