Author Topic: Flat Spot - Carburetor Overhaul  (Read 2529 times)

Offline basadia

• ST Legend
Flat Spot - Carburetor Overhaul
« on: January 09, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »
I recently replaced the manifold rubbers on my 02 Ex Police ST1100 and since I had the carbs of the motor has developed a flat spot between 3500 and 4500 RPM. I'm leaning toward something being amiss with my carbs i.e. float levels or main jets. I did a carby balance after the manifold rubbers and it sound sweet at idle but is not now flat spotting when the engine is pulling. I have run a bottle of injector cleaner through it but has not fixed the issue. When the engine RPM go over 4500 it starts pulling again.
Reading through the manual it looks like there are a number of specialty tools required to reset the carbs after cleaning like the float level tool PN:07401-0010001. I'd like to pull the carbs apart, clean them and reset the float levels but this job seams to be pretty difficult without the correct tools.
Anyone been down this road before?
Keith
05 ST1300

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Re: Flat Spot - Carburetor Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 01:13:31 PM »
look at the ST Owners forum they have instructions to make your own float level template and how to do it  ;-*
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline basadia

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 02:01:54 PM »
Interesting article here:
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=10249.0
He did not use a float level template:
"Next, I’m going to set the float level. As with anything else, the float level is very important. All of mine measured different from the factory. Factory spec is 7mm. 3 of mine were at 8mm and one was at 9mm. Very lean emission settings. I set them all to 7mm. Equivalent to .275” if using a dial caliper."

"As seen in my pictures, the measurement gets taken from the side flat of the carb body to the outer top  seam of the float. This is how the factory does it, and so do I. If adjustment is needed, I use a pick, and either bend the float tab up, or down, to get the correct measurement. I also have the carb bank tilted up, so the floats won’t depress the springs in the float needles. The needles are lightly seated to get an accurate measurement."
Keith
05 ST1300

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 05:10:44 PM »
You are all over the situation  :thumb

At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline basadia

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:32:22 AM »
I've just priced a set of float base seals to do a carb clean and the price from Honda was $46.20 per seal (suck breath). I started Googling carb kits and I found these:
http://www.motorcyclespareswarehouse.com.au/products/k-1107hkl-kh-carnb-repair-and-parts-kit (left side)
http://www.motorcyclespareswarehouse.com.au/products/k-1107hkr-kh-carb-repair-and-parts-kit (right side)
So for $140 plus $7.50 freight I got a full set of carb overhaul kits. Much more economical option.
Keith
05 ST1300

Offline Foxst

• 2000 ST 1100
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 06:56:45 PM »
Hi Keith,

I'm curious how you went with your carbs. I have identical problem, I suspect they need a clean due to leaving her sitting for several months without draining.

Did you do a full overhaul or just use the seals?

Flat spot fixed?