Author Topic: Does my ST1300 need an exorcism? Is it on fire in a very specific place?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline JNAC

• ST Legend
Photo speaks enough words. Anyone know what's going on? Is this the 100,000km prize?

Online Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
Best I can do:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/multi-display-washed-out.178398/#post-2332132

I hope you can see the pictures. If not you might have to join the US forum or perhaps someone smarter than me can copy and post the pics.

Good luck.
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

Offline JNAC

• ST Legend
Thanks! No idea how I managed to miss that one.

It's not like it matters how many KMs are on the clock, I'll run it for a while :)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Steve and I did this:

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=14275.msg1281241#msg1281241

At least it keeps your ODO honest.  And it's easier to read in bright light.

Of course, we only did it for readability- our display hadn't shat itself.  Steve might know if it fixes your problem.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 05:31:27 PM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.

Of course, we only did it for readability- our display hadn't shat itself.  Steve might know if it fixes your problem.

Personally I doubt it. This looks like the LCD module has died. Bill and I replaced the LEDs that sit behind it for backlight.

The good news (I guess) is that the LCD module is a cinch to replace as you’ll see in the thread that Biggles referenced. Perhaps you might be able to find one on a wreck. There are often folks on here parting out sad STs.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline JNAC

• ST Legend
I'll have to keep my eyes open. I was chasing a new one anyway as the 2 middle sections of the fuel gauge died and it's super inconvenient.

This isn't backlight, the orange part is actively getting brighter. It's like the black part of it is vanishing. 

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
As an Electronics Technician by trade, it looks like the polarising filter in front of the Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) has lost its polarising abilities.

Usually once that happens it is not repairable.

A new polarising film might help, but not guaranteed.

Try looking at it through polarising sunglasses held at arms length, and rotating the sunnies.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

The following users thanked this post: CallMeSteve

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
It looks as if you'd best look for an affordable panel and before you put it in (with whatever ODO kays you get), you could upgrade it to the white display.

From what Gadget says, the problem is the failure of an electronic component, so isn't caused by bright sunlight on the panel (as mentioned on the US STOC forum).  Otherwise we're all going to be putting sunshades on our panels when they're parked in the sun.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927