Author Topic: Involuntary trial of new tyre  (Read 621 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Involuntary trial of new tyre
« on: September 21, 2022, 08:17:02 PM »
While doing an Ironbutt ride to the IBA Muster in Nambucca Heads last weekend, I had a rear tyre failure.  The cause is another story.
Desperately ringing around all the motorcycle dealers in Coffs Harbour on Saturday, the only tyre in the ST1300 rear size was a Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.  Swallowing my misgivings about a tyre that's not a 100% sports/touring hoop, I was up with the sparrows on Monday to beg a workshop manager to put me on their bookings list to get the tyre mounted.  North Coast V-Twins were very helpful.  Mrs Biggles had a grin at my having to eat HD pie, but the guys there were consumate professionals. 
Having ridden it home with a full load (i.e. full luggage and pillion) and out again today, I can confidently say it seems to match our favourite Michelin Road tyres.  I'll take it into the mountains before giving my unreserved approval.  The review below is very encouraging.  It's the pick of the pack for the BMW 1200R Adventure bike.  The price is about the same as the Michelins, but there's more tread for the money.  And the rear is dual compound.  The downside is they don't appear to make a front in the ST1300 size- they are, after all, oriented towards spoked wheels.

https://ausmotorcyclist.com.au/pirelli-scorpion-trail-ii-confirms-itself-as-the-best-enduro-street-tyre-by-winning-moto-magazine-and-red-live-it-comparative-tests/
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: Involuntary trial of new tyre
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 09:48:49 PM »
Sometimes it's necessary to take what we can get.   I got caught out in Port Lincoln and finished up with a cruiser tyre on the back of the Beemer.   It was rubbish in the wet and I was glad to get rid of it.    However, a new "Round and Black" of any type is much better than a tyre where the tread is completely gone.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Involuntary trial of new tyre
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 10:12:08 PM »
... I'll take it into the mountains before giving my unreserved approval ...

Looking forward to an update.

Sometimes it's necessary to take what we can get...

I've been caught out twice now, first time at Bairnsdale on the way home from Wooli, right size, wrong brand and model, a Dunlop of some description, a bit soft, got around 8K out of it.

Second time at Mannum, guys a Murray Bridge wanted to put the wrong size on, but Martin at G&C Motorcycles in Adelaide looked after me and the ST1300 with a PR5 GT, right size, right price.

https://gcmotorcycles.com.au/

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better