Author Topic: One hundred thousand, one ten...one fifteen...  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
One hundred thousand, one ten...one fifteen...
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
Evenin' All...

Ever wondered when you see a clip on YouTube that catches your imagination and you wonder if it has a sequel?

Well I did with this first clip... :crazy
classicbikeshows: Stafford, April 2012 - Bonhams Auction - 1939 Vincent-HRD 998cc Series-A Rapide

...then I found this... Wot thuh
VINCENT A TWINS MARCUS AND HARVEY edited

Ciao, the can :)

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Re: One hundred thousand, one ten...one fifteen...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »
Evenin' All...

For those who may be interested in older motorcycles (like moi), and enjoy attending the odd motorcycle event, you can sometimes get very, very lucky...like the day I decided to go down to 'Bikes by the Bay' here in Melbourne a couple of years back and although the theme / emphasis was on Italian bikes...I not only parked opposite this bike...but I manage to have a chat with it's owner...and the owner told a short story of this bike and of his friendship with the bloke who designed and build the other 77 others in the world...I called this day...

...One perfect day...enjoy :)

...I know of only 3 of these in Oz...2 here in Vic and the other in WA...hope you like it :)

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »
Last time I saw and heard a Vincent  in action was at the Bathurst bike races in the early 80s..and it was racing. Shook the ground every lap over the top, and the crowd just went quiet to listen.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:05:02 PM »
Arvo John...

Drop in next time your over this way :thumb

...in the mean time...

Vincent Hill Climb Sidecar Outfit

Cheers Dick :)

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 03:07:38 PM »
Dick, we will be in Melbourne from this Saturday for a week, staying down the Docklands.  A trip up your way one of those days for sightseeing may be on the cards.  I also have those exhausts rusting away...
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:57:45 AM »
Wonderful clips :thumbsup    Two years ago I had some major surgery for cancer and spent six weeks recovering and off the bike.   The first ride that I went on was short run with a mate, to a little bakery in the hills.   Out the front there was a Vincent Black Shadow and a Suzuki 750cc "Water Bottle" which was a sight to gladden my heart.  Both looked like they had just come out of the showroom, and both were regularly ridden by the two old mates who were the owners.   We spent ages chatting to them, and it was a wonderful way to celebrate my recovery.   The sound as they eventually accelerated away up the road still reverberates inside my skull, and took me back to the early 1970's when I saw the last sidecar speedway race in Adelaide that featured a Vincent.  It won :hatwave
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »
Arvo Guys...Got a tad cold in me shed so have have in to warm up :)

John, Ta for call...will C U during the week :thumb

Pete...Ah, your right...the mere thought of Rowley Park brings back the sights and smells hey! :grin Alas but distant memories now unfortunately :'(...Mate send me PM with you email address and I'll send you a pic.

I just thought I'd start this thread as seeing 'A' Rapides at auction is pretty rare and interestingly the one in this thread sold for a little less than the one I read about previously that reached 220K in 2007/8 from memory. Either way, the wee Kid in the second clip should count his blessings if he's their Grandson...with 3/4s on a million Aussie dollars worth bikes in the shed :p

The post war Vincents are more affordable...when you can prise them from the hands of their octogenarian dying fingers :eek

As for the music they make...I have to admit I am in a quandary here as I really, really do like the sound of a Meriden Triple where they're on song along the hedgerows at the IOM :thumbsup

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 10:40:09 PM »
Is that the T150 or T160?  After all these years I am going to organise a test ride on a Triumph triple. The Explorer first, as local dealer has a test bike, then the Trophy next year.  How will they compare to my mighty GT750K Suzuki 3 cylinder stroker (hopefully they will have brakes and handle!)
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 11:01:10 PM »
Evenin' John et al...

Is that the T150 or T160?  After all these years I am going to organise a test ride on a Triumph triple. The Explorer first, as local dealer has a test bike, then the Trophy next year.  How will they compare to my mighty GT750K Suzuki 3 cylinder stroker (hopefully they will have brakes and handle!)

Either...both out of Meriden Factory...whereas the new ones are Hinckley

When you get here I'll be able to show what happens when you clone some bits from a 70's Suzuki triple onto one of Meriden's finest from 1969 :wink1

...I really am getting edgie now, first it's me neighbour-over-the-fence with his KTM...then Baz got the Veradero...Temela's now gone bush on either a GS or an F...Nick either a GS or Vstrom...now you :eek...hannnng about, Wife's gone north for a few week or 3...and she seldom goes into me shed...hummm :think1

Cheers Dick :)