Author Topic: Pirelli Angel GT  (Read 3962 times)

Offline 2Triky

• Old Fart
Pirelli Angel GT
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:54:45 PM »
I read a bit about ST owners having a good run with the Angel GT.  I was preparing my ST1300 for a trip to the Ulysses AGM in Alice Springs and thought the Angel GT was a likely contender.  I had ridden from Perth to Melbourne and back wearing Metzlers and had rubber to spare on my return.  That was 2 up, panniers bulging and a heavy camper trailer (approx. 300KG).  So I thought a set of Angel GTs would last a trip up the West Coast via Broome to Darwin, to the Alice and then the Rock, and returning via Coober Pedy and the Nullabor back to Perth.  We estimated 10,500Klm round trip. 

When I fitted the Pirellis, I fell in love with them immediately compared to the Metzlers, they had brilliant road feel and I felt extremely safe whipping it through corners.  But this trip was a test for the GTs, and distance would tell.  However, when we arrived in Darwin after some 5000Klm, I noted that the rear tyre was past half worn already.  While touring Kakadu I became nervous about finding steel belts showing through half way across the Nullabor, and the likelihood of punctures became a worry.  So I got on the net and Googled bike shops in the Alice.  First call was to Desert Edge Motorcycles.  The guy on the phone was real nice and friendly.  He had a tyre on the shelf and he asked if I wanted my name put on it ready for my arrival.  I though, Wow that was lucky and these guys at Desert Edge were very accommodating.  I was expecting the credit card booking procedure, but no, just my name on it was ok.  We arrived in the Alice after some 8,000Ks and with still some rubber left on the Pirelli, the ST was shod with a Bridgestone on the rear.  I still wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing by the Pirelli and my wallet, but it was an insurance thing if you like.

Then the pain began.  Back to my arrival at Desert Edge Motorcycles.  They were in a flap with work, so I was asked to take a seat and wait for a time to fit the tyre.  After 2 hours waiting, they shut up shop at 5pm, and said to come back tomorrow at opening time.  I turned up the next day, and after awhile they took my ST around the back, and told me to come back in 1 hour.  On my return I expected to see the bike out the front, but no, it was still up on the stand with the wheel out.  They eventually brought the bike out some 2 1/2 hours later, (what did this guy do for over 2 hours fitting a bloody tyre I thought).  I went to pay the bill, but couldn't because my details had still to go on the computer (they had 4 hours to do this already).  After getting pissed off listening to the guy talk small talk to other customers I prompted him to pull his finger out.

So After 5 hours, I finally got the bill.  That is when I shit myself.  I expected to pay a little more than usual, but the thieving mongrels slugged me $442.45.  I paid the bill and in hind sight I should have demanded to see the manager, but I was so pissed off by this time, I just wanted to get back to camp, and get on with the festivities.  After all I was just happy to have a safe tyre to get me home.  Later I examined the invoice closer.  Turns out they charged me a reasonable price for the tyre (289.00), but the slime bags slugged me $137.00 to fit the tyre. 

Un bloody believable.  However, I blame myself for not ringing around and asking for prices in the first place.  But I figured tyres were in short supply in the Alice, so I didn't.  In the 40 years I have been riding, I have never that I can remember paid a separate fitment price for a tyre in either Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth.  That is most likely the reason for my tardiness in not asking for pricing.

So Guys & Gals, if you are ever in Alice Springs and need a Honda shop, DO NOT go to Desert Edge Motorcycles.  Unfortunately they are the Honda dealer.  On a brighter note, I heard many good reports on the Yamaha dealer in the Alice, I just wish I went there.  Even though they closed up shop at 5pm, the mechanics worked until 11pm servicing bikes.  That is the sort of business I prefer to deal with.

Also, if you want good lengthy Ks out of a tyre, I suggest you avoid the Pirelli Angel GT.  There was another rider with me on the trip, and he fitted new Angel GTs to his ST1300 at the same time as me, immediately before departure.  He made it home to Perth on the one tyre, so my premature tyre change may have been just that.  But, he was riding solo, with tent etc on the back.  He could have been defected if pulled up, as his tyre was totally shot on return, which saw less than 11,000Klms on the round trip.
Cheers,
Mick.
Woodvale. W.A.

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
Re: Pirelli Angel GT
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »
G'day Mate

Had the same problem with the Angel St's  one minute they had tread, the next none or so it seemed.  Wouldn't buy Pirelli again.  That is a problem for a company which produces a dud product. It turns you off them even though other products in their range might be ok.

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:36:36 PM »
Thanks Mick for your detailed report.  ++, you have way more patience then me.

I believe Diesel was talking about going to "Alice"  :think1

I'm very happy with my PR3's at the moment.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Strange about your Angel GT's, put a new set on, octoberish last year, did a run around Australia in 9 days, 15000K's or thereabouts, currently using the same pair after another 5 and a bit thousand K's and they still do not look like they are wearing out.  Mind you I was not doing it two up towing a trailer but it was a heavier than normal load. 

I still strongly support the Angel GT and the PR3's for the ST1300 but with the load you used and your experience maybe they are not suited to over heavy loads, not sure which tyre would have been best for you.

Pity about the service you received
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 11:12:25 PM »
I took both my front and rear wheel out of the bike yesterday and I have a set of Michelin PR2s that I'm having Horizon Honda in Hobart fit and balance for me on Wednesday, It's going to cost me $33 for each wheel. I brought the tyres from Jake Wilson in the US ages ago and I've had them sitting in the garage just waiting for my current Dunlops to wear down a bit. I know I could get another couple of thousand kms out of the Dunlops, but they wouldn't really be legal by then, so now's a good time to change them. I'm really keen to see how the Michelin's compare with the Dunlop's, which I haven't been unhappy with, I should add. :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »
I have used a few sets of the PR2s on the ST1100. They are great in all conditions, with normal use life of 15,000kms plus. Wear rate was consistent and they did not disappear quickly at the end. I replace mine before the cord indicators come through though!
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline 2Triky

• Old Fart
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »
Yeh, everybody I speak to has only good things to say about the PR3s.  I still have an Angel on the front which is doing well, and now with the Bridgestone on the rear, hopefully they will both wear to limits together, and I will definitely go for the PR3s, or I read there is a PR4 out now.  I will keep a keen eye on the web site to see how people are going with the 4s.
Cheers,
Mick.
Woodvale. W.A.