Author Topic: Planning My First Saddlesore 1600km/24Hours  (Read 12843 times)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Planning My First Saddlesore 1600km/24Hours
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »
Hello All,
           I am setting about planning my First attempt at a Saddlesore IBA ride (1600km/24hours), and i thought i would do a fairly tried and true route for IBA/FarRiders basically from Toowoomba down the centre, Maitland, back up the coast, through Brisbane and home, have put together a rough track (still working out the stops and the like), as i have ridden these roads a bit and have an idea of the conditions, and the land.

Google Map: http://goo.gl/maps/Xy5q8

I am pondering advice for this trip, such as 24 hour fuel stops that are better than the others? I am working it all out, and not planning on doing it until probably September at the moment, just looking to get all my ducks in a row....

Will set a point that around Maitland that i will need a Signature from a Willing OzSTOC Member, so will work that in as a mini OzSTOC event to...

Cheers and thanks for any advice
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:53:29 PM by Streak »
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Planning My First Saddlesore 1600km/24Hours
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »
Will set a point that around Maitland that i will need a Signature from a Willing OzSTOC Member, so will work that in as a mini OzSTOC event to...

Cheers and thanks for any advice

You don't need a witness at your turn-around point, just a Corner Docket.  Get a Start and Finish Witness as well as a Start and Finish Docket, collect all your fuel dockets and log them with your ODO.  Simple does it.
Don't eat too much.  Drink a fair bit.  Don't sit down at rest stops.  Stand up when doing 50 kph (unless Plod is watching, but you're still legal, just attracting unwanted attention).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »
So your planning to ride downhill in the morning and uphill in the evening to get home again  :grin
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:08:34 PM »
Posted in FarRiders But I'll post here too. I'm wondering if you should get a corner docket at or very near Loganholm

and

What is your preferred start time. That will help others with giving info re fuel stop locations.

Just an observation from my own rides

A midnight start has you going to bed before you would and laying their waiting to get up.

A start at or after 03:00:00 puts you to bed by say 21:00 for 4 or 5 hours sleep and on the road with a short dark time start. Sept will have light by 05:00:00 easy .Also with this S-time I have a normal meal at dinner. A snack about 08:00:00 another about midday and a larger snack before dark to give me some energy.

A start by 05:00:00 puts you in daylight at the other end 24 hrs later and in a better position to collect a finish docket as servos are mostly open by then.

Remember the more towns you go through the more time you use and the less you have as spare.
For a first time out many old hands recommend a route that takes you away from built up areas.
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
As a Motorcycle Group we should be encouraging safety and not promoting potentially dangerous practices.

Off to the norty room with you Streak for suggesting something sooo controversial!        :spank                   :rofl

It's going to be cosy in there with another 55,000 IBA Members!      :wink1

On a more serious note:

We have worked very hard with our friends on this forum and others to offer a comprehensive resource of knowledge to riders wishing to pursue their passion. Complete boards are dedicated to the safety of riders and those around them looking for information written by experts with plenty of personal experience.

We are lucky enough to have contributions from some of this country's top LD riders, who were happy to share from their own experiences, safety tips and preparations one can make for such endeavours. This also includes roadside maintenance and recovery, tips on dealing with unexpected events from wildlife and other motorists, fatigue and fatigue symptom management, other trials and tribulations of LD touring. The advice on those threads is invaluable for riders looking to try something they've only dreamt of.

The worst thing we can do is make people feel as though they will get negative comments directed at them for being irresponsible. This may make them turn away from the help and expertise offered by their friends on this forum. They will still "go do it" anyway, so we want them to to be prepared in the best possible way.

So, quite the opposite of Sabie's opinion is true. Rather than "promote potentially dangerous practices", we promote the SAFE EXECUTION of our Members' LD rides.

Streak has sought this opinion and is to be commended for it. I encourage EVERYONE to have a look at some of the great advice and tips on offer if you are thinking of a longer ride.

This whole Club's ethos is about getting people out and about on their bikes - let's keep this in mind.

Hope this clears the air Sabie about what we are promoting here.

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:13:54 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Turtle

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:55:52 AM »
Maybe do something on the way home from Ballarat .... Cause I did Ceduna to Perth cause man I wanted to get home from Middleton.......Got this from the mrs when I walk in the door :spank (no not that type of whip people)so no need for the paper work I just did it for me  :thumb

Turtle

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:55 AM »
Sabie and I are going to have to snap out of it and stop agreeing with each other- it just ain't natural.   :p
Fatigue kills people in every type of human endeavour, virtually always due to inattention or micro-sleeps.

My observation regarding fatigue on the M/C is that its effects are quite different to those experienced by car drivers.  The car driver is in a snug lounge chair with little to do but steer, and that very easily.  Nodding off, while quite possibly inadvertently accelerating, is almost inevitable.

The motorcyclist, on the other hand, is highly engaged in the motion process, continually required to be alert to every little aspect of the road; its corners, surface irregularities, his own and other vehicle positioning and so on.  All that whilst continually fanned by the wind and conscious of every part of his/her body, especially the buttocks after a few hours.  The urge to get off the bike becomes compelling and a walk around, snack and drink provides really effective refreshment.

I know what it feels like to be tired on the bike and in the car and I know which is less threatening.

As the Good Book says, "all things in moderation".  For riders, "a moderate amount" gradually increments.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »
Potentially dangerous practices like....

Hmmmm

Leaving the bike in the shed for months at a time then trying on Valantino's boots just for size  one weekend on the Oxley that's a PDP

Or

Just slipping up the inside cos cage has his right blinker on.."he's going right..Right?" wrong......

Or

just one more scooner cos my rooms just round the corner "its not far"...Right?" wrong......

Or

I'll just go get some milk from the shops..."it's not far, its hot ,its a sunny day, I'll only be a minute. NO Gloves, Jacket, Boots and its Friday late afternoon too...Right?' wrong...

Them's dangerous practices.

Doing lots of build up rides and getting ride fit. And I mean 300,400&500k days in advance. Planning your stops to best work with the environment like sun up or down and avoiding looking into the thing for long.
Keeping as much daylight as you can in known roo country..
Being relaxed and well rested before kick off...
Acknowledging any weakness in the plan or the training before you make a move on the ride...AND making a change to that plan.
AND
Remembering you don't get a sheep station for finishing. Its a game, nothing more.

The big thing that's got to be remembered is start the ride on the day that best suits YOU. No big send-off...no fan-fair...no performance pressure nothing.

YOU GO WHEN YOUR READY.

Sabie. FarRiders have over the years clocked up a massive amount of miles doing what they love. Last weekend alone we clocked up across the board over 97.000km in 24 hrs as a group. About 80 riders. One roo strike. No one died or lost a leg. That's bloody good stats. Its even better fact.

Seeing as you attached a link to a guvmant site I'll take it you had your tongue firmly in your cheek.

BUT if not then

I'll offer to train you up, design a route and take you on a FarRide if you like Sabie...just so you see what's involved. I'm very sure after the experience your view will be oh so better informed.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:10:33 AM by Gatey »
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
Maybe do something on the way home from Ballarat .... Cause I did Ceduna to Perth cause man I wanted to get home from Middleton.......Got this from the mrs when I walk in the door :spank (no not that type of whip people)so no need for the paper work I just did it for me  :thumb

Turtle

I can understand the wanting to get home thing. Had to do that once myself. Port Hedland back to Adelaide. I just went in and had a look at the fuel usage etc for that trip.

It's only an estimate based on fuel stops each day but day 1....... 1098 kms, day 2.......1045 km, day 3.......1375 kms, day 4 (Xmas Day).......392 kms. Day 3 was the killer and the longest on the road, should have stopped at Ceduna but went on and stopped near Iron Knob. I never touched the bike again until I went back a week later and then added an extra two days for the return trip

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 11:21:42 AM »
The plan appears to be coming along nicely Streak, and your planed route looks good :thumb
Gatey's suggested start time sounds like it would make a good start to the attempt :clap
Keep us all updated with how your plan progresses :hatwave

AND HAVE FUN    :grin :runyay :grin :runyay :grin :runyay :grin

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
The plan appears to be coming along nicely Streak, and your planed route looks good :thumb
Gatey's suggested start time sounds like it would make a good start to the attempt :clap
Keep us all updated with how your plan progresses :hatwave

AND HAVE FUN    :grin :runyay :grin :runyay :grin :runyay :grin

Cheers
Shiney

thats the whole idea mate, if i succeed or not, it is more about the fun of having a go!
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »
Good luck with the ride Dave, anything you need as you pass through just ask........if I am off and you want another bike in your mirror and an encouraging voice in your headset up the New England. :thumbs

Great seeing rule #1 firmly in place...... :clap

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »
Good luck with the ride Dave,

ah Dave is not doing this...I am but thank you.... :rofl
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 02:04:11 PM »
Good luck with the ride Dave,

ah Dave is not doing this...I am but thank you.... :rofl

Well if Graham, Streak or any of their other personalities make the trip let me know mate.  :nahnah

:grin  :grin

:beer mate enjoy the planning can be nearly as much fun as the ride.....well nearly !!

Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 03:50:59 PM »
Good to see you coming out of the closet at last  :hatwave

Anyone who has some doubts about the sanity or safety of such rides should look at all the advice and support from the FarRiding community. Rule number 1 is always to get home safely, even if it means pulling the pin due to safety concerns.  Full support is always given for aborted rides, no question.  In fact I think it is harder to pull the pin on a ride than continue on regardless, and this is fully recognised.

It is an irony that something like a 2400ks in 36 hours is actually easier to organise as you can pick the safest time to travel.

Anyway, I am off to a FarRide on the weekend (Bargara near Bundaberg), doing a 1200km run in 24 hours finishing at 11.30am on Saturday.  I have to do 300kms before starting the 1200km run, and will probably do 500kms or so after the lunch stop.  If I had the time I would probably plan a 1600 or 2400, but my expert adviser is away in Queensland with his boat with limited broadband coverage  :CB--
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Sean

• It's somewhat brighter after the dark!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »
Streak, 

Try to avoid Maitland if possible as it is like a major city with too many traffic lights to slow down and put you off you rhythm.

A couple of servos that I have found to be good are at:

Caltex Stanthorpe, New England Hwy. It has a McCafe and gives you a chance to fill up and make Tamworth on by the next refuel stop.

If you can afford the slight 5 minute detour from your indicated route, BP Beresfield, I/S Kinta Dr and Pacific Hwy. This is basically just off the roundabout at the northern end of the Newcastle Expressway. It is a full truckstop with Hungry Jacks, but also has a traditional diner.

Caltex Glenthorne Service Centre, at the Southern offramp to Taree off the Pacific Hwy. Just beside the highway with a number of food outlets

BP Coffs Harbour Southern roundabout on Pacific Hwy. Only Maccas and the usual servo food, but it is clean. Coffs will get you back to Brisbane if your ST1100 will get 400k’s.

Went through Muswellbrook last September and there is a new BP on the right southbound, but not sure if it is 24hour.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sean
1995 ST1100P
2002 ST1100A
2004 ST1300A (Blue)

:wht11 :dred11 :blu13

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 05:58:19 PM »
Well, it's my opinion that its potentially dangerous.

Take a look back at what I said..... It's potentially dangerous, that is it has the potential to cause danger. My opinion is based on the fatigue factor in the amount of riding against the amount of rest in a 24 hour period.

Your fatigue factor would be very high to say the least. If you look at the information supplied in my last post, you'll see that fatigue has the same impairment value as alcohol on a rider/driver.

The fact that your concentration is at a higher level while riding a bike will mean your fatigue score will be higher and your reactions will be more impaired. It has nothing to do with the comfort levels afforded in a car. Its about how fatigue effects your ability to function to the level needed to safely operate a motor vehicle of any description.

Again, its my opinion and its an educated opinion. What you do to yourself is your own business, but if you happen to take out someone else particularly innocent road users by your actions which are deemed to be impaired due to your fatigue level in order to "play a game" you got rocks in your head.

If my family were killed or seriously injured by someone playing this "game" heaven help them.

Remember, you're sharing the road... You don't own it.

As I said, its my opinion which I am entitled to have, it may oppose your opinion but so be it. These are the values that make our country great.

Sabie
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »
And that's the great strength of this club, everyone is entitled to an opinion  :thumb

Well said Sabie  :thumbsup
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
Yep it's like flavours of ice cream.....21 different flavours.....everyone likes a different flavour.

How great that we can all share our opinion here and not be judged for it.

And just as importantly........mmmmmm Ice Cream !!!!  :grin

Cheers
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »
There may be 21 flavours, but there is only one worth having. Rum n raisin.... Not that my daughter will let me have any. :||||
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 06:52:52 PM »
It's gets my vote aswell, but happy try the other 20 to confirm it.  :thumbsup
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »
There may be 21 flavours, but there is only one worth having. Rum n raisin.... Not that my daughter will let me have any. :||||

:hijacked

Well now the thread is completely hijacked, I'll add that while I like Rum 'n Raisin ice cream, what they sell nowadays is a huge disappointment, tasting like chemicals.  Rum 'n Raisin chocolate- now that's still great!   :thumbs

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
And now back to our regular program
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline SToz

• Every day above ground is a good one!
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »
After having done a few of these (no expert) but.....been there ......done that.......

The SS1600K is one of the easiest. Plenty of time for a mid-ride Siesta if required.

Don't over-plan it...have a rough plan (Toowoomba to Dubbo+a bit and back). Start at A...... at turn around point B, you'll know if  your on track or behind. Don't do all the spread sheet bullshit it's just not worth it....unless you can't help being anal!

Do pick the easiest highest MOVING AVERAGE roads....not the coast or near cities....too many slow speed zone to pull down the MA.

I did my SS1600K from Ips to Dubbo and back...had a MA of 100kph (at the speed limit the whole way), easy maths, that's 16 hours of riding with 8 hours to "dick around". Absolute heaps of time up your sleeve for stretches, food and snoozes.

Maybe even Toowoomba to Blackall (don't know the K's ...just saying)...I did my SS2000K for Ipsw to Barcaldine...still with heaps of time up the sleeve.
Just pick the smartest route....not the fanciest...you don't NEED the wigglies on these rides......unless your after HERO status!

Most of all.........Relax.......Don't over think it and enjoy the ride!

Have fun.

P.S. "Plan the ride and ride the plan" that's bullshit too....... spoken by true under-achiever! :rofl :rofl
(or they just have too much time on their hands)
As you've probably gathered......... long distance riding is waaaaay too over-rated!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:02:54 PM by SToz »
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

SToz (Rick)
'04 ST1300A
IBA# 38032..... SS1600K  SS2000K  BB2500K

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »
Well, it's my opinion that its potentially dangerous.

Take a look back at what I said..... It's potentially dangerous, that is it has the potential to cause danger. My opinion is based on the fatigue factor in the amount of riding against the amount of rest in a 24 hour period.

I'm sorry - but Sabie - your words that members of this group took exception to were.....

As a Motorcycle Group we should be encouraging safety and not promoting potentially dangerous practices.

We work damn hard to do as you requested here and I can't understand where you drew the conclusion that this forum has anything but the complete and utter safety, best interests and friendship of ALL road users as our utmost goal.

Many will find your statement insulting and worthy of rebuke - particularly when the OPPOSITE RESULT is the goal of this forum.

I welcome posts like yours, but please afford me the honour of explaining our situation. In your next post  at 17:58hrs, I actually agree with most things you have said, and the article you appraised is based on statistical fact! I only ask that when you marvel at Usain Bolt for doing things you cannot, that the same may go for your friends who can manage a 24hr awake period and safely control a motorcycle for that same period. I am not aware of a single fatality or even injury of anyone attempting an IBA sanctioned/certified ride. Look at the first few paragrapghs of the Archive of Wisdom for dedicated riders....  http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Let's face it - every time you throw a leg over a bike you increase your chances of demise when compared to sitting on the couch!

We agree with your opinion about heightened fatigue levels, but we should have faith in individuals to pull the pin when they feel the risk level growing from it.

I really, really, REALLY hope his clears the air for anyone thinking about training up to the levels of safe LD riding.

Sabie - I agree with your concerns - just not that we promote potentially dangerous practices.

In saying all this, I'll be the first to buy you a drink at Biloela - cool?

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au